Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been told by repair shop that my evaporator is leaking and needs to be replaced, they say the entire dash has to some out, anyone know if this is true or not??
if so how long would it take to do this job myself of pull out and put back?
the AC is leaking around near the TX valve, the TX valve O rings have been replaced and all the gas leaked out within a couple of weeks eliminating O rings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Old thread but my 2010 was diagnosed with evaporator leak. Flat rate book says 10 hours to remove dash, replace evaporator and install new one. Getting new expansion valve and dryer at the same time. $1800 estimate.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Old thread but my 2010 was diagnosed with evaporator leak. Flat rate book says 10 hours to remove dash, replace evaporator and install new one. Getting new expansion valve and dryer at the same time. $1800 estimate.
1800??? I almost dropped my phone!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Shops charge between $ 80-120 per hour and the rest would be parts. Still quite expensive.
I had a Mazda 626 and was able to remove the evaporator without removing the dash.

·
Registered
41 Posts
About $300 for parts, $100 for the refrigerant evacuation & recharge. All the rest is for labor. Based on the shop manual, the front of the console, and the entire dash has to come out to get inside the heater box. Ten hours. Like many other repairs these days, while you're in there, replace other stuff that's in the box. In this case, the expansion valve might as well get replaced too.

Didn't get this priced out at the dealer but figured it would be similar. The shop that's working on it has a good rep and provides a 3 year parts and labor guarantee. The dealer only 1 year on the parts and 90 days on labor.

I just hope that everything works and no new rattles. That's a lot of stuff getting removed and disconnected. Makes me think that I maybe should get the 10 year bumper to bumper extension for my wife's new car.

·
Registered
584 Posts
@beachdog, your signature shows you own a 2010 but this is an old post for Gen 1's...

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
This is EXTREMELY common for various vehicles, and yeah, it's a PITA of a job. Not really all that hard but very time consuming, thus expensive if you have a shop do it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I personally would do the job myself (but for the refrigerant recharging... I am not licensed) and 'boy would I go slowly, photo document, take lotsa notes. Not fun... Effectively, cars are built around the evaporator (and sometimes) heater core.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts