Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just brough back my new Mazdaspeed GT from the states here to Canada, but cannot drive it untill I get some Daytime running lights.

I went to a dealership and they would offer no help and even said they will not install them (Bitter I guess) so I am at a crossroads. Anyone know if there is a relay or something I can switch on to make them work? Or anyone know how to add them or make the fogs always stay on?

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can't just turn the headlights on whenever you drive?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I agree with the DRL, I am very used to that and have begun to drive w/o them on a few times.

Now I just leave them on all the time, they turn off after 30 seconds when the car is shut off...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I agree with the DRL, I am very used to that and have begun to drive w/o them on a few times.

Now I just leave them on all the time, they turn off after 30 seconds when the car is shut off...
[/b]
That won't solve the problem though. Having DRL is required by law, and the car needs to be inspected by an authorized service centre to see that it complies before it can be licensed. No compliance, no license or insurance and the car can't be put on the road at all. It's not simply a matter of turning on the lights so that he doesn't get pulled over.

As far as I know Canadian Tire is an authorized centre to both inspect and modify cars to comply. I'd suggest taking your car there, if you have one nearby. The attitude of the dealer is one I've warned about in previous posts. Think what kind of resistance you're going to face when you go in for warranty work, where right now they won't even help you for something they can charge you whatever they want to. Unfortunately any dealer will know where the car originated the moment they pull up the VIN. Hope you can find somebody to help you on this.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm sorry, I meant that I agree that DRL should have been included in the factory design. I would prefer to just leave my lights set to on all the time rather than to monkey around with a little box like that :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey all, just brough back my new Mazdaspeed GT from the states here to Canada, but cannot drive it untill I get some Daytime running lights.

I went to a dealership and they would offer no help and even said they will not install them (Bitter I guess) so I am at a crossroads. Anyone know if there is a relay or something I can switch on to make them work? Or anyone know how to add them or make the fogs always stay on?
[/b]

supeg,

Just call a dealer and go to the parts dept. and ask for the daytime running light module. I can't imagine the parts guy would give two shits about were the car came from....but if he does tell him you were just transfered here, or some bs story.

Any mechanic should be able to install it for you. I bought my truck off of ebay and had to install the drl on it also. Canadian Tire is the official inspection station for imported cars, so you'll have to go to them for your importation inspection, to make sure the car complies with Canadian regulations. You'll also need the French version of the airbag warnings........I stole mine out of a showroom car, doesn't matter what kind of car, it's a standard warning label.

Did you drive the car back, or trailer it.

Good Luck,

Rocket 6 :drive:

·
Registered
117 Posts

[/b]
Try another dealer (if there is one around) or just about any shop. I imported a Highlander for my folks and they get very decent treatement from their dealer but they claimed the car was a "gift". I suspect that you simply told the dealer too much... I would be shocked if Canadian Tire would not be able to do this for you at the time of the "check". Call before you make the trek.

Braindrainer...

·
Registered
231 Posts
You could try another dealer and give them a :bsflag: story that you just moved back into the country from working over in the states and bought the car there knowing it would be cheaper (but now that you're here you're going to rely on them for service and future car purchases blahblahblah). I can't think of any way that they could really check that and if you are convincing enough why would they care. Most dealers make good jack off the warranty work any way and should be happy to get yours. JMO

·
Registered
490 Posts

[/b]
What part of the Great Canuk Land do you reside????
If you are on the Vancouver Side, call www.pdm-racing.com and see if they can get you parts and install.
Just an FYI

·
Registered
426 Posts
Holy cow so someone has finally done it! congrats! I've been thinking of it for like a year now... but still to busy to do anything about it.

I checked about the DRL's when I was researching this... the dealer in Calgary didn't have a stock number for it yet actually. I think he found out that it was different from the standart mazda6 DRL module, and he had to ask for the part number from somewhere... I never called back though.

But yah if you give any dealer a call, just talk to the parts dept. and they will order the part for you no problem... hopefully won't take too long.

can't believe some dealer is giving you crap about this. Just stay away from those tards. What color did you get? If it was pearl white any dealer would understand... :)

Can I ask where did you buy it and what was the final price? How did the rebates work out? Did you get $7000 off the MSRP?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Why the dealer would refuse to get paid is beyond me. If they treat you like a jerk you won't be bringing it in for future warranty work and they'll lose out on that money too. They say dealerships aren't in it to lose money but sometimes I wonder...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I talked to both, mazda Canada, and mazda USA. Both of them stated warranty is good for all of north america. So you've heard wrong.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I talked to both, mazda Canada, and mazda USA. Both of them stated warranty is good for all of north america. So you've heard wrong.
[/b]
When I researched this a while back I found certain manufacturers don't. Mazda does though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I researched this a while back I found certain manufacturers don't. Mazda does though.
[/b]
Honda is a the stick in the mud! However, only if you buy a new one across the border. Their rules do not effect those who move around...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts