Mazda 6 Forums banner

Need tips on how to remove starter bolts

10K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Spidy 
@pepperjack13
First, wd-40 is not the same as PB blaster, which has penetrating properties. Blaster will help if you spray it on there liberally and leave it overnight.

I imagine you have removed the air intake accordian hose, cuz you have too. You also want to remove the battery and battery tray. Like tkemme said, you will need a long extension or several short ones will work. I used a long breaker bar with an impact socket since it is a very strong heat treated chromoly steel. There are two bolts. It gets cramped, but you can get them. You might consider removing the air box if you still have trouble.

Don't warm the car up like that, or you will burn the crap out of yourself trying to get in there.

Good luck!

@pepperjack13

Our cars are known to make a short squealing sound upon cranking. It is said to be due to the buildup of clutch dust in the starter. I would doubt your flywheel teeth are damaged. Usually it is starter teeth that get stripped (not on our cars, but in general). But you never know until you check it out I guess.

You could pick up a lightweight flywheel for about $350 from either Exedy or Fidanza. I got the Exedy, but the Fidanza can be a little cheaper, weighs less (about 8lbs less !), and it has replaceable steel inserts that the flex plate squeezes the clutch disc between. The inserts can be found for about $40-$50 which totally beats buying another flywheel if you have issues.

Clutch, flywheel, headers, cai, and rear motor mount took me and another guy, burkerre about 35 hours.

I have a clutchmasters Stage 4 and I love it. It is a much lighter engagement over stock due to slightly different pivot points in the flex plate. The stage four took some getting used to - it grabs uber fast. So, I can recommend a Clutchmasters clutch, but the Exedy should be ok. Get it cheaper on Amazon ~ $130!

Amazon.com: EXEDY MZK1001 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit: Automotive

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.