Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I use to post quite a bit on here when I had my mazda 6 I got rid of that in Dec of 04 and now have a nissan Titan and with gas the way it is this things tank hurts lol. I may be getting rid of the truck and lookin into a smaller car probably in the $20,000 range I would prefer RWD but FWD is ok also. I was thinkin of a used RX-8 or maybe IS300 if I could find one, but I think insurance might be a little high on those for a 22y/o so any other suggestions from anyone? new or used is ok

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You lose more money trading your car in every 15months then you would in saving gas....

also the rx-8 isisn't going to get you any better gas milage then your truck.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
No matter who buys the truck, you still lose the initial depreciation between the original purchase price and the selling price, which is at its greatest during the first whatever period of ownership you wish to consider.

You might not end up upside down (negative equity) but you've still lost money.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
whats the MPG on a RX-8? the same as a 5.6 liter v8 moving a truck that weighs in at almost 5000lbs+ I find that hard to beleive

anyway ill probably look into a used is300 or something along those lines
[/b]
What's the mileage on the truck? Estimated is 14/18.

Estimated mileage on an RX-8 is 18/24.

Real world on both is probably less.

Is that enough difference to really matter?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Your missing the point. Even if you get an IS300. You'll still prolly get less then 20mpg unless you do a lot of hwy driving. Even at $3/gallon, at most $500/year given 15,000miles of driving. ( I know cuz I was comparing it to a celica gt-s, got sick of gas myself, in the end it won't be worth it) O and those cars you mention suck premium as well.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sounds like you already have your mind made up. I would pick a Lexus IS over the RX-8. But, hell that's just me. You drive what makes you happy! :drive:

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Haha, timba, I think that you need to do some research. if you REALLY want to save money on gas, get a diesel. Hybrids are crap. End of story

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Even better, get a new toyota yaris. 40mpg plus the car will give you cheaper payments! Cuz hey thats what you want right?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want something fun to drive that will get better mileage but its more the fact that I sacrificed my 6 for my family and now I have a chance to get back into a fun car and would like to do so. I only metioned those 2 cars cause those are 2 I really like but I asked for suggestions to see if you could think of any cars I might be over looking.

diesel here is more than premium gas while yes a diesel gets better mileage they also have a higher cost over normal gasoline cars which would take years to make up in the savings of mileage

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
or just buy an used 6i.. then you wont have to spend the full 20k and have money left over for more mods + good gas mileage

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
My mind orginally went to the gussied up LeBaron (TC by Maserati). Avoid.

Then I remembered Scion tC.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed. It felt bigger and clumsier than it is, like I was in a Camry. Unless you are interested in dipping into the TRD parts catalog, I'd just as soon get a Mazda3.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just so you know, my buddy has an RX-8 and gets roughly 14 mpg with it here in Reno. He also fills his tank for about $40 because he has to use Chevron premium (the car runs like shit on other gas types...Chevron has the additives that the RX-8 loves).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
19 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing