Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some difficulty getting he most power out of the V6 MTX. My car now has almost 900 miles, so it is fairly broken in. But I'm getting the feeling that getting the best performance from those 220 ponies means pushing this engine H A R D all the time. This makes me feeling like I'm "doggin" or "trashing" the engine. This gets me worried that I will have reliability problems down the road.

I know the manual has Mazda's recomendations on when to change gears etc, but that's probably for best fuel economy. This engine seems to fly up into the RPMs very quickly, almost like a four cylinder does when pushed hard. I find myself turning the Bose off alot because that tach needle flies up to 5000-6000 RPMs so fast that if the music is on, you won't even realize it until your at the red line or worse.

So basically, what do you guys recommend as far as gear shifting to get the most out of the engoine in terms of acceleration performance? Perhaps this could be when merging on a highway, starting from 35 mph and pushing it up to 70 asap. Or even from 0-60 (stoplight accelration).

I guess I'm looking for something similar to that chart Mazda puts in the manual, but with performance in mind.

1st Gear - Speed? - RPMs?
upshift
2nd Gear - Speed? - RPMs?
upshift
3rd Gear - Speed? - RPMs?
upshift
4th Gear -Speed? - RPMs?
upshift
5th Gear - Speed? - RPMs?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Need Some Tips on Driving the 6s MTX'

For Max Acceleration:

1st Gear - Redline
2nd Gear - Redline
3rd Gear - Redline
4th Gear -Redline
5th Gear - speed governed at 130 MPH

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Need Some Tips on Driving the 6s MTX

Is this your first manual? The 6s's best powerband is between 4000-6000 rpm. If you shift any lower than that, it will get you around, but not in a hurry. Redlining the car isn't harmful as long as the engine is well maintained. If you drive the car hard, proper maintenance is vital. Even if you go over redline, the ECU has a fuel cutoff so you can't blow it up or anything. Just get out there and drive, have fun, and be safe.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Definately gotta keep it above 4 grand. To go that fastest, I dont know, I'd start with Kristoff's recomendation and work from there. Only track time/dyno whatever is gonna tell you that. Just remember that you'll be beyond most speed limits by the time you shift into third if you're in the redline.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

Originally posted by Kristoff

For Max Acceleration:  

1st Gear - Redline
2nd Gear - Redline
3rd Gear - Redline
4th Gear -Redline
5th Gear - speed governed at 130 MPH[/b]
If you redline 4th you'll hit the limiter at 120.

·
Registered
652 Posts

I thought it was at 130? I've only been to 110 in mine, so I wouldn't know. ;)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I tend to shift normally between 3500-4000 RPM when driving around town, I find thats plenty of power, sure you can go up to 5000 RPM, but you start burning gas in a hurry up there. Give your engine a little more time to break in and you'll notice some more power down low. By my dyno max TQ is around 4800 RPM, so for daily driving I rarely ever go past that unless I'm entering a freeway. If your worried about engine wear, just switch to a good synthetic oil. I know someone with a miata that had ~200K miles, and he flogged the hell outta that thing, took it to redline all the time, he finally sold it when the A/C started giving him trouble, it was about 8 years old. Mazda's engines like Honda will last even when you beat them.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I agree. My Miata and my 6 are very similar in that the engines don't come 'Alive" untill 4000 RPM. Don't be too concerned about high RPMs that's the way they designed the engine.

It may give you a little fright the first time you hit the rev limiter but it's there to protect the engine from over-reving.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Dyno plot, anyone?

Could someone post a dynamometer plot for a stock V6 MTX for Mazda6guy? Please? That would make this discussion much easier.

Mazda6guy, a dyno plot will show torque and horsepower vs. engine RPM. Remember that horsepower is basically torque times RPM (times a factor to get the units right). Some engines have a horsepower peak before redline, while others don't.

Anyway, a dyno plot will tell you where you're making the most power, since that seems to be the root of your question.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by garrick

Could someone post a dynamometer plot for a stock V6 MTX for Mazda6guy?  Please?  That would make this discussion much easier.

Mazda6guy, a dyno plot will show torque and horsepower vs. engine RPM.  Remember that horsepower is basically torque times RPM (times a factor to get the units right).  Some engines have a horsepower peak before redline, while others don't.

Anyway, a dyno plot will tell you where you're making the most power, since that seems to be the root of your question.[/b]
see my photo album in my signature for dyno

·
Registered
652 Posts
Replying to Topic 'N

Let me clarify.

I am not the kind of guy to just spout off some B/S answer to questions.

So, when I said "redline, redline, etc" above, it's because I had used Brillo's dyno chart to make the following:

Notice how the Torque is always higher at redline than at any other point in the next highest gear?

That means shift at redline.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts