Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my gf will be graduating from college this winter and we'll probably be moving somewhere other than here (Columbus, OH).

We decided on some place warmer and a decent sized city with a bigger hospital (where she'll be working) and good financial jobs.

Now, I've been to Texas before, my parents live near Dallas/Ft Worth. I recently travelled to Austin and San Antonio. We did some comparisons and what not online and decided San Antonio would probably be the best choice for us.

I was hoping you guys would have some opinions on San Antonio and any other city in Texas. What things you like or dislike about any city in Texas. Just any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Look to Austin! Red Rock is a perfect area and there are plenty of jobs! I have relatives all over Texas, most in Austin!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Houston-been there once. I noticed traffic is horrifc, and the streets have very few people walking. It a city where people drive, drive and drive. If you enjoy being in a city with street life forget Houston. If you love malls, strip malls and driving from one store to another ( cause everythng is spread out) youre in heaven.

Terrific Mexican food there.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Austin dirty? I would have to argue that point. Having lived there the last 12 years (and moving back!!!!!) it's a great city. The outlying areas such as Round Rock, Pflugerville, and Dripping Springs are nice places to live (lower cost of living among other reasons). Humidity can be high but it's not as bad as Houston. Austin is green and very environmentally aware (take that however you want).

San Antonio is nice but it's a lot more touristy.

Of course, I'm biased since we're moving back but honestly, Austin is a great town.

Best to you on deciding where to move. Maybe we'll see each other in Austin! :D

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
You could always live in San Marcos and commute! Either way, they're both great places. :yesnod:
What timeframe are you looking at?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Austin isn't dirty (you must have misguided impressions from sixth street. We have an amazing night life, but if that's not your thing there are lots of other things to do.

Think of Austin as a spec of blue in the midst of politcal red we call Texas. There are lots of liberal hippies (used loosely) in town, and they tend to keep things interesting i.e. Austin City limits festival, the film festivals, Eeyores b-day, Zilker Kite festival, south congress (in general). We have a great music scene (although I've been getting a little frustrated with it recently)

I love Austin because no matter where you live within City limits you can get anywhere else in the city within 25 minutes at worst (non rush hour). Having moved here from Chicago that's a big plus.

Austin is hot and humid, but you're going to get that almost anywhere in Texas. My 6 will frequently tell me triple digits during the summer. However, it's still going to be better than San Antonio in that respect since we are farther from the coast.

We also have plenty to do outdoors. Lots of trails, the Hill Country, Rock climbing spots, lake travis is beautiful to take a boat on (I want to say the lake is 31 miles long, and only about a mile accross at it's thickest point, and that makes it feel pretty big).

I'd be a little concerned that the hospitals aren't big enough in Austin. There are definitely plenty of hospitals, but I wouidn't say any one is as big as anything I knew back in Chi-town.

If I had to do the move all over again I'd definitely pick Austin over any other city in TX. Unfortunately I honestly haven't given the rest of the cities too much more than the spare weekend here or there.

Hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
MadMardigan
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing