Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my original tires are shot at 15k miles (mechanic said it was out of alignment from the factory). It wasn't too bad out of spec and the Pennsylvania roads could have done that pretty quick.

Anyway, I need some new gums for my stock 18's on my 06 6. I'm guessing I'll be OK stepping up to a 225/45R18 from the stock 215/45R18. Not much size difference and it certainly broadens my choices. All the tire manufacturers say that while 7.5" is the ideal choice, 225/45R18's will fit on 7" rims.

I'm currently looking at the Cooper Zeon Sport All Seasons for $150/tire installed. I like the looks of the Toyo Proxes 4, but according to Toyo's site, I don't have any local dealers. People here seem to rave alot about the Proxes. Anyone know of a place that will ship them to me cheap enough to make it worth my while?

The thing that I like about the Proxes is that they have a 95 load rating while the Coopers only have a 91. I hear that 91 is just getting by with these 6's.

TIA for your thoughts.

·
Registered
394 Posts
ive always been a toyo and dunlop fan. ran dunlops on my old car, held the road well and had descent ware life. im running the toyo proxes4 on my car now and love them too. i would just say dont get yokohama. ive ran a couple different sets of those and they suck. horrible traction and wore out way to quick imo. ive never ran coopers so i cant say much about them, but ive heard good things about them and for that price you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am in the proces of getting the continental extreme contact.. The only conti tire that has a good rep. aggressive a/s tire.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ya Toyo's are a really good tire, there is alot of places that will ship those, and you could have any place mount them. you can get them for the same price as the coopers, but one thing you might want to consider, if you buy a tire from a local shop you would have there warranty, which is usually free rotation/balancing, flat repair ect whereas if you buy from somewhere you will be charged for all of those. Check around and see, even if a shop doesnt carry them, they can get them for you NP, just makes sure they order the new proxes 4's and not the old FZ4's like some stores tend to do.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Anyway, I need some new gums for my stock 18's on my 06 6. I'm guessing I'll be OK stepping up to a 225/45R18 from the stock 215/45R18. Not much size difference and it certainly broadens my choices. All the tire manufacturers say that while 7.5" is the ideal choice, 225/45R18's will fit on 7" rims.
[/b]
The 225/45's will fit, but will be a bit oversquare which could affect wear (increase center wear) and handling stability when pressed. I'm running the Avon Tech M550's on mine (Cooper Tire owns Avon now!) and like them just fine. They would be a good all season tire for where you live. I just looked at the pic of the Zeon Sport A/S online and they look very similar to mine. At $150 each it would be a decent tire for the money for you. :yesnod:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input, folks. I'm going to wait one or two more paychecks and at this point I'm going to get the Coopers. I've done really well with other Cooper tires in the past.

My brother just got Nitto NeoGen's for his V-Dub Jetta. I'm quite jealous that they don't make those in my size. Pretty nice tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts