Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem where when I turn the wheel left or right, I hear some clicking. Upon inspection, I noticed that there's a rubber acordian tube looking thing going from the axle to the rotor covering the ball joint connecting the rotor to the axle.

This tube was torn so basically my joint where the rotor connects to the axle is exposed. It took me a while to catch on until I got under there to look. Some of the grease has also splattered on the inside of my wheel indicating I'd need to put some more on there.

I have a couple of questions:

1.) You think I could get it covered under warranty?
2.) If not, does anyone have any idea on what part number it is?
3.) Also, how might I get the old one off and the new one on? Would I have to remove the wheel and the rotor?

What I believe happened was when I put my new wheels on, after lifting the car, it stretched the rubber acordian cover and it just ripped. I can cut it off of there, but I'd rather keep it covered to prevent grease loss.

This is on my passenger side front wheel, but I believe the driver side front wheel is torn slightly so I'd have to do that. Here are some pics as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
If the car is still under warranty, take it in for repairs.

I don't think changing wheels had anything to do with the CV joint boot ripping.

You neeed that boot on there.

John :cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
The CV joint on axle dried out. That boot keeps all of the grease in lubricating the joint. Not a big deal if you have a warranty. A little costly for a new axle and labor if you don't. It's good to inspect them when cars get over 50k on them regularly. If caught early the boot can be replaced so the cost of new axles aren't incured.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the verdict is in. Turns out when I replaced the brake pads up front, the brake lines got bent and rubbed against the boot causing it to split. Unfortunatly, they say it isn't warrantable. So I just spend $750 on new parts and I'll have a guy do it for me for about $50. (Dealership wanted $1700 for it...). Sux to be me and my dumb ass.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I guess I bent a little metal tab or something that holds the brake line away from the boot, so that's how it rubbed.

If anyone else experiences broken cv joint boots, I'll let you know what to do now to spare you a crap load of trouble and wasted time like I've gone through over the past week and a half.

1. About $800 worth of parts (thanks to onlinemazdaparts.com for getting them quick).
2. When ordering parts, don't forget to ask for the ABS ring. Its common practice to reuse the old ring in cases like this. Unfortunately, if you're like me and drove on it for a while, the ring warped and won't fit on the new axles. Instead, I had to call back today to get them shipped (not stocked anywhere near where I live). So thats another 2 days waiting on rings.
3. Be prepared to hear girlfriend gripe about having to drive your ass around.

So 3 parts are needed:
Axle assembly
ABS Front sensor ring
and in my case, new brake hoses (I shoulda just got steel ones if it was going to take this long).

And as my gf would say, I hope you learned your lesson about doing it yourself. I'll kick you if you work on your car again like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
MZBuckeye
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing