Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i need new rotors and pads after 20,000 miles, WTF!!!!!! anyone have an idea on what I can replace them with that will last?? I need front and rear also, is there anyupgrades that I can get??

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
damn you musta been ridin them brakes hardcore!!!! i heard if you do alot of wheel changing and over torque a few of the bolts to the rotor it can warp it to...so that might be a reason for the rotor...and thus rubbing up against the pads...

http://www.therpmstore.com/index.php?cPath=26_46

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
great site take a looky see....

·
Registered
226 Posts
20000? Ouch... I've just replaced my pads at 42000, still with a reasonable amount of meat left on them, the rotors will last a while longer yet. EBC stuff is the only upgrade over this side of the Atlantic, good luck finding more for yours!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not like I'm even hard on the brakes, I drive 150 miles a day and it's all highway.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would have loved to have gone 20,000 miles on my rotors. I was on set number 2 at 11,000. By 20,000 i was on my 3rd pair. The 4th pair came at 35,000 mmiles and have lasted until current day at 52,XXXmiles. I'm going to have them turned in the next week or 2.

I should say that all of my rotors and labor were covered under warranty since I've got a 2003.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I too had mine rotors replaced under warranty at 19,000 miles and I have a 2004. I am guessing that they will have to be done later down the road seeing as so many other peoples brakes aren't fixed after just one replacement. I would definately check if your replacement is covered under warranty. Your car may qualify for the warranty extension.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I would have loved to have gone 20,000 miles on my rotors. I was on set number 2 at 11,000. By 20,000 i was on my 3rd pair. The 4th pair came at 35,000 mmiles and have lasted until current day at 52,XXXmiles. I'm going to have them turned in the next week or 2.

I should say that all of my rotors and labor were covered under warranty since I've got a 2003.
[/b]

GOOD GOD MAN!!! do you do alot work on the tires. rims or rotations yourself on your car?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1Lo05M6 You must have an ATX right?
[/b]
Yes I do, Why do u ask??

They will not cover mine because it is a 05

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have an ATX, and I think I got about 35000 out of my first set of rotors. I swapped the pads at 25k. NEXT time I need rotors, I should be able to do the job in 2 hours since I don't have to contend with the stupid screws again and since I seize greased the backs of the rotors.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just hit 25K on my 04 6S, and i can just barely start to feel the pulsing of a warped rotor or two. What are my chances of getting the issue resolved under warranty? Also does anyone else hear a one time tick/clicking sound for a second when engaging the brakes the first couple of times on a trip.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If you have the brake moan issue, you could take it in to get that serviced. The instructions tell the tech to machine or replace the front rotors, as well as using new pads. I never did this because I couldn't take the black dust anymore.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just hit 25K on my 04 6S, and i can just barely start to feel the pulsing of a warped rotor or two. What are my chances of getting the issue resolved under warranty? Also does anyone else hear a one time tick/clicking sound for a second when engaging the brakes the first couple of times on a trip.
[/b]
MN6 I would say you have a pretty good chance of getting it covered under warranty. When I went in to have my brakes looked at I knew exactly what they were going to say. I played dumb just to see what they would tell me and how much they would try and charge me. They told me exactly what I thought and said it would cost me like $300 or something. I had an old TSB for reference that didn't cover the time frame that my 6 was built in, but the minute i mentioned the TSB they said they would fix everything under warranty. I would say take yours in to see what they say. If they try and charge you ask them about the extended warranty that is included in the TSB.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my warped front rotors replaced twice and I'm at 19K ('04 Wagon). I've got the stock wheels, and as I've owned 13 previous cars with no similar issues, I don't think it's my driving.

The only reason I haven't gone totally ballistic is that my dealer did both under warranty without any hassle, but still. I notice the newest cars have a larger disc standard. Am I right in guessing that's a tacit admission of a problem?

I hope the larger ones bolt on, because I really don't feel like changing rotors every 10K post-warranty...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hmm...so this can be covered under warranty? Anyone have a copy of this TSB?

I've already brought my car in a few months ago for some severe brake warpage, but they charged me $200 to turn the rotors. Now it seems like they're warped again!

·
Registered
298 Posts
What I would do is pony up the money for Brembo blank rotors for your Mazda6. They would cost the same as the OEM replacements. The factory rotors aren't the highest quality, they're made by Ford.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
The OEM rotors are poo. I had mine shaved at 11k miles, and now at 35k, need new ones. I have Rotora Drilled/Slotted waiting to be put on, but apparently Mazda busted a screaw-driver head in one rotor, making it impossible for me to take off.

Pads from OEM are not bad, but when changing rotors, I recommend changing the pads as well. I have one set of Rotora Slotted Rotors sitting at home if you want them :) One was on the car for one week, the other 3 are brand new. That one week, I had no squealing and a cleaner wheel than the opposite side. And of course, better stopping power with just that one new rotor, lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
19 Participants
chikoo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing