Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, i have a 2005 mazda6 that i bought in the end of 04 i have just about 30K on it....it sucks. its my daily driver and i drive across the state alot.

MY Question: should i need to be getting my .."power steering fluid, Brake fluid, Transmission fluid" changed by now?? cause the dealer said they were "dirty". and they needed to be changed but its like $350!!

help please. i dont know too much about engines in this aspect.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The tranny fluid is easier to change than the oil but it's good to change it every 30K or so. The cost of a tranny flush is usually like $65-$75. Wherever it's done, just make sure the right fluid is put back in.

Many cars never have the brake or PS fluid replaced. Brake fluid 'should' be replaced every 2 years. This isn't hard to do and shouldn't cost more than $50-$60. (Firestone or Midas can do this work...)

If you really want to do the PS fluid, use a turkey baster and suck all the fluid out of your PS pump and pour in fresh fluid.

·
Registered
979 Posts
OR go find a shop to di it cheaper.. The dealer is gonna screw you on the price so they can make a fast buck.

·
Registered
680 Posts
This is all do-it-yourself stuff. Don't let the dealership ravage your wallet.

P/S fluid is a commonly overlooked system, but very easy to manage. The turkey-baster method is by far the easiest, but takes more time to complete the process.

3 quarts of ATF is more than enough. Draw out old fluid with the turkey baster; top up; drive; repeat. It takes around 10 - 15 cycles to completely replace the fluid.

3 quarts ATF = ~$15
1 turkey baster = ~$3

Dealer = Not sure, but $75 is my best guess

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
fly757
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing