Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Long time reader on the form, first time poster.

My Mazda 6 needs new brake pads, and I was thinking that I would replace the rotors at the same time. It's a 2004 V6 - and after a few winters - the rotors are looking worse for wear. I want to put cross drilled / slotted rotors with something different than the OEM pads to cut down on the brake dust. I live in Whitby and was looking for any recommendations for reasonably priced performance brake shops.

For the rotors, I see some places coat the rotors with zinc plating. Will this help them from looking rusted and crappy from the Canadian winters?

Help?

Jason

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I also need to be replacing mine...you can see pics of my rotors that i took in the last 2 weeks on the second page of this sub-forum somewhere...it gives you an idea of how badly i need new ones...it's called "brake Rotors- What's this?"

i was going to do the work myself as I was looking at a complete OEM size rotora kit...

from the homework i've done....apparently it is highly ill-advised to get anything other than blank rotors if you are not autox'ing or track racing as they are more subject to warping and cracking.

However it is a hihgly debated topic in the brakes section...for me...i like to err on the safe side and will be just getting a set of blank rotors...

and yes...zinc plating will help.

remeber its the pads that cause the dust and not the rotors....the drilling and slotting is for cooling... only

from the reaserach i've compiled...the carbotech 9's whih RPM sells is what you might be interested....just be sure to bed them in properly...otherwise you will be the noisest person on your block....

------
all that said...welcome to the club!!!! great first post...great question asked

if interested in coming out to a december meet? post up in the stickied thread one way or the other
------
hope it helps...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

I really like the look of cross drilled rotors. I don't so any racing, but do tend to drive agressively.

I just spent some time on eBay and came up with the following links:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Magnum-Drilled-Rotors-0...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SR-Drilled-Rotors-03-04...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Magnum-drilled-rotors-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

What are your thoughts?

Should I stay away from eBay to buy the rotors?

BTW, thanks for the invite - I do want to see what others have done with their cars. Now that I'm off warranty - I want to add some mods to my car. I'll go look for the post and reply.

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I guess if ultimately cross drilled is what you want...go for it...just be warned about cracking under high heat stress

therpmstore.com my recommendation....because i know beyond a shadow of a doubt they stand behind their products....i'm always leary buying parts on ebay as i really don't know what i'm truly getting.....so I prefer to stick with someone that i know i can trust...but thats my $0.02

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
First off, do you track or autoX? If u're gonna get it for look, go for it. They're definitely streetable.

Also, I second that try not to buy any carparts from ebay if possible. Some exception would be like badges, door sills and some other accessories.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No racing whatsoever... just a daily driver on the street to and from work... but I do like the aggressive look of the rotors.

The three links I posted were all Canadian eBay shops - one is even in Scarborough - and you can pick up there too - I guess I could have a look first - although I'm not sure I could tell a crappy rotor from a quality rotor.

The reason I might stay away from the RPM store for rotors would be the weight - the shipping costs would be really expensive... so I guess back to my original question - can you buy this stuff locally in Toronto to avoid the freight and duty?

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea definitely you can. It's only hundred bucks for a pair, never hurt to give it a try ehh? ;)
[/b]
It's only $139 for a set all around. The last link I posted also claims cadinum plating to protect the rotors. They offer local pickup. Too good to be true?

The Rotora's listed on RPM claim to be mill balanced - I wonder if the cheap rotors will cause vibrations?

Jason

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
It's only $139 for a set all around. The last link I posted also claims cadinum plating to protect the rotors. They offer local pickup. Too good to be true?

The Rotora's listed on RPM claim to be mill balanced - I wonder if the cheap rotors will cause vibrations?
Jason
[/b]
It depends on the quality but what kind of vibrations are u talking about? Something caused by fitment issues?

Also, mind you that u should also get new pads cuz they'll wear out faster with slotted or drilled rotors.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I bought those rotors from ebay had it cross drilled and magnium plated

yes it won't rust and these motherfuckas are great
i had them since the summer time

I don't go crazy on my car but i had some situations when I had to break hard and the rotors are fine

If you're in my situation, get them. I might not get cross drilled though, I heard you can't machine them ?_?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Eh Chris - let me know when you plan to replace those. I'm in the same boat. Maybe we can do two cars at once?

·
Registered
682 Posts
They should - I may have to use the "Flinstone technique" :) for a bit, but I think I can make it until March or April.

One word of caution - I had to store mine for two months in the winter while I was away for work, and the rear rotors were so badly rusted that I couldn't get them to clean off properly.

I'm convinced that this rusting/pitting has caused the rear pads to wear faster than they would have with some normal driving.

If I had to do it again, I would have asked someone to drive it for an hour on a nice day, at least once every 2 weeks or so.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
They should - I may have to use the "Flinstone technique" :) for a bit, but I think I can make it until March or April.

One word of caution - I had to store mine for two months in the winter while I was away for work, and the rear rotors were so badly rusted that I couldn't get them to clean off properly.

I'm convinced that this rusting/pitting has caused the rear pads to wear faster than they would have with some normal driving.

If I had to do it again, I would have asked someone to drive it for an hour on a nice day, at least once every 2 weeks or so.

[/b]
do you store it outside or in a sauna? I store my '96 Z28 every winter in an unheated garage, only a car cover on it and the light coat of surface rust that builds up on the rotors is gone by the time I hit the end of the driverway in the spring. If the rotors are already pitted that may be the problem. I had a set of autozone rotors on my Impala once that started chunking metal out of the friction surface after about a year of use....that tore the hell out of the pads promptly, but that was just crap rotors, had nothing to do with rusting.
And as far as the drilled/slotted rotors are concerned, it's your money. For street, autocross, and just the occasional light track excursion, plain rotors of good quality (that means avoid autozone's junk) will work just fine. If you really feel the need to put something more "racy" on the car go with the slotted ones. Other than just the apprearnce factor, drilled rotors do nothing for the braking performance of the car even in extreme situations and are more prone to cracking around the holes from hard use. Turning them on a brake lathe is basically impossible, and with the way most new rotors are made these days, by the time they need machining they're already nearly at their minimum thickness.
One very good rotor company is powerslot http://www.powerslot.com and they do have applications for the Mazda6.

·
Registered
682 Posts
^^Nope. It was anything but a sauna. It sat in a snow bank with a car cover on it:-(.

I didn't have enough warning about my "extended" trip to find a good place to store it.

Chris - did you find indoor storage for yours?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Everyone -

Just wanted to report back - I've got my new rotors and pads installed.

I purchased PBR ceramic pads, and Magnum cadmium plated cross drilled rotors. I have to say, I love them! Unfortunately, they are covered up with steel wheels at the moment. I can't wait for the snow to melt!

The pads are PBR Ultimate ceramic. The rotors are made by a Canadian company called Magnum, and are cross drilled and cadmium plated to protect them from rusting.

I purchased the brakes and rotors, and had them installed in Scarborough at a place called Elite Group Canada.

The complete installation was $522.71.

After about a week of driving, the brakes really bite hard.

Attached is a picture of the rear rotor (I'm sorry the car is really dirty - it is winter), but you can get an idea of the actual rotor.

In the spring I hope to get the calipers painted as they look horrible at the moment :(

Cheers!

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I believe I installed the same ones on Blue6's car. Although Maple Mazda would have been about half that to get that installed. I had a great time with Sothea's front rotors though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Very nice - where/how did you pick up the rotors and pads? Online?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Although Maple Mazda would have been about half that to get that installed.[/b]
Elite Auto was $160 labour. If Maple Mazda is less than that - Great - I'll keep it in mind for next time ;)

Very nice - where/how did you pick up the rotors and pads? Online?[/b]
Yes - I first saw the rotors advertised online on eBay - through a search specifically for a Canadian seller. I did a quick search on eBay just now and don't see them advertising anymore, although I found somebody selling the Magnum rotors from a place in Richmond Hill called GForce Brakes. They want a little more than Elite charged me for the same rotors.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Magnum-drilled-rotors-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

same size as stock?[/b]
The rotors I bought were an OEM sized replacement. They are not larger rotors, only cadmium plated and cross drilled.

Regards,

Jason

1 - 20 of 26 Posts