Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago I had some work done to the car. The entire rear bumper was replaced, exhaust switched out, etc. Nothing major.

I have been noticing at some angles the paint is waaaaay off. Enough that my wife said something which blew my mind. She NEVER pays attention to cars.

I went to the body shop and said something. His response was, painting the plastic can give a "milky" apperance. I didnt get it, and I was to tired to argue. Besides, the color is Darker, almost like the other Grey optin the speeds have as oppsed to the silver I selected.

So my questions are.
1. How do they match the paint on the vehicle?
2. How much to have another shop paint the rear bumper ?

I realize I should go after the guy etc.. But I signed the papers and said everything was ok. If the cost is under $500 then I will just have someone else paint it and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
They match the paint via the color code corresponding to the paint which Mazda supplies. If it's just the bumper no paint on it yet, would definitely be cheaper than 500, but for a body shop to strip paint it takes longer and costs more.

Call a shop for an estimate. Tell them that you have a bumper with no damage and it's painted, but needs to be repainted. I'm sure for that they can tell you over the phone.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Most body shows "Blend" paint to get it too match....

Myself, if anything on my car ever gets damaged enough to need new paint I'll sell it, I can see color differences and out of line panels from a distance and it always catches my eye, I couldn't stand it...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
1. How do they match the paint on the vehicle?
2. How much to have another shop paint the rear bumper ?
I realize I should go after the guy etc.. But I signed the papers and said everything was ok. If the cost is under $500 then I will just have someone else paint it and be done with it.
[/b]
1. A good bodyshop will take the paintcode and paint test panels on the old damaged bumper, they will adjust different pigments in the paint code up or down until they get as close as possible.
2. A good paintjob costs alot. I think the paintwork on just my rear bumper was around 1000.00

When I was rear ended I had the bodyshop repaint the bumper three times before I was happy with the paint. I had no damage anywhere but the bumper so I refused to let them do any blending on any other panels. As of now the paint on my bumper matches the rest of the car perfectly, except for the fact that the bumper has no where near as much orange peel as the rest of the car.

You need to call whatever insurance company paid for the work and tell them you are not happy with the paint job. If you went to a bodyshop that the insurance company suggested they are obligated to correct any issues until you are satisfied.

·
Registered
86 Posts
1. A good bodyshop will take the paintcode and paint test panels on the old damaged bumper, they will adjust different pigments in the paint code up or down until they get as close as possible.
2. A good paintjob costs alot. I think the paintwork on just my rear bumper was around 1000.00
When I was rear ended I had the bodyshop repaint the bumper three times before I was happy with the paint. I had no damage anywhere but the bumper so I refused to let them do any blending on any other panels. As of now the paint on my bumper matches the rest of the car perfectly, except for the fact that the bumper has no where near as much orange peel as the rest of the car.

You need to call whatever insurance company paid for the work and tell them you are not happy with the paint job. If you went to a bodyshop that the insurance company suggested they are obligated to correct any issues until you are satisfied.
[/b]

If you want a excellent job or to make your car like it was when it was new it could cost $1000 to repaint the rear bumper. I've had two of my car's rear bumpers repainted in the past 2 years and it was close to $1000. To do the job right the rear bumper needs to be removed and painted and finished off the car. When the shop paints the bumpers on the car they usually overspray on the car and the lower part of the bumper suffers from inconsistant paint quality. I've seen repainted bumpers where its not smooth close to the bottom with lots of orange peel. What a good shop will do it remove the bumper, paint, wet sand and polish before reinstalling it back on the car. As far as paint matching, a good shop will get it to match almost perfectly the 1st time around, they use the original color code then tint it to match. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Did you get your touch-up paint in the mail yet? Just use that and do it yourself. Good luck! [/b]
:jackoff: :jackoff: :jackoff: :jackoff: :jackoff: :jackoff: :jackoff: :jackoff: :jackoff: :jackoff: :jackoff: :jackoff:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts