Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to get more horspower on my 6 i. already have a K&N air filter,Magnaflow exahust 2 1/2 inch piping. thinking maybe getting diff pulleys? any suggestions?l

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
stay away from the pulleys unless you want to be the tester of them pretty much as they haven't been proven yet. need a ford/mazda dealer to do the install in most cases as well.

outside of TB mods and taking out the balance shaft you are stuck at this point. hoping headers and intake manifold will soon follow SEMA, but not holding my breath yet. you could get a good 20+hp if you wanna drop cash on a standalone ecu as well.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
how many times are we going to see this topic......

I NEED MORE POWER

MORE POWER PLEASE

WHERE'S THE POWER

I STEP ON THE GAS....HUH NO POWER

I HAVE NO POWER WAit WHAT DID I EXPECT IT'S A I4...

If you wanted more power WTH did you get a 6i?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I HAVE NO POWER WAit WHAT DID I EXPECT IT'S A I4...
If you wanted more power WTH did you get a 6i?
[/b]
+1
just go get speed6

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
+1
just go get speed6
[/b]

The 6 wasn't made for speed so I come to an agreement to go buy a Speed6 for power. You're not going to get far with an i4, even a 6s unless you duke up the cash due to the fact our car isn't made to be fast, but yet the handling on this thing always amazes me. However, there always are simple upgrades, like the CP-E engine mount. Possibly a tranny upgrade or clutch if you have a manual tranny. A new flywheel, carbon fiber hood, or lighter rims. Weigh out your options and think about what else you can do to improve your 6 besides engine work because what it really comes down to is overall performance. Acceleration upgrade isn't so bad. Look into it as well! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
+1
just go get speed6
[/b]
6i's can be had for 16 new at dealers, the cheapest i've ever heard of for a MS6 is 21k and that was mine. not everyone can pony up the 5k for a car that losses resale faster than a hooker in paris.

·
Registered
123 Posts
lol, i have an ATX. There isn't much i can do besides get a turbo. But for 4k.. i would have been better off getting a Speed 6. Since i couldn't afford one, i got the 6 that was more practical for my every day use. Thats why i got the 4banger. Cant complain. My last car was a Mercury sable, hehe. It looks great, gets decent gas mileage, handles awesome, cheap insurance, 4 doors, isn't a child's car. And its not a Honda, so I'm happy.

But i wouldn't mind getting a little more power. After all, i will own this car for the next 5 years. It will serve its purpose, and i will have fun driving it. Everyone should be happy with their car. If not, sell it ASAP or trade it in. There are dozens of new cars out there that are faster.

To each their own.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
shit i don't know about you guys, i just want to get to 150+ whp and torque. don't know if i'd ever buy an SAFC or Microtech's ecu stuff, but i'll take what gains i can get, especially if we can get the headers/midpipe/intake manifold going :D

i agree juslen...i know the next car im getting will be turbo and awd. but thats not for 2-4 years. gonna enjoy my 6 until then.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Whoa,.. i didnt know the standalone ecu would add that much hp.. Is it compatible with the v6?? If so, I'd be definitely interested in that upgrade. It'd be nice to have control over both power and gas efficiency.. I remember my friend who's a subaru fanatic telling me of his buddy with maps (I'm guessing fuel maps) for stock and one tuned for race gas, 100+ something octane.

·
Registered
281 Posts
In Ukraine prices are different...
45K for Speed6 and 33K for 6i...
So... For 12K $ I can make 6i much faster than speed6
Even if only calculate that I can buy new cossworth engine and sell my I will have more of it.
I drived a speed6 at dealer test program, and drived it a lot (well I'm mazda dealer so I can do this...) and drived it like hell...
And can say that its AWD is awful (on my opinion)... I prefer FWD with LSD.
If here difference between cars was 5K i'd thinked more between charged 6i and speed6.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
:sarc:
In Ukraine prices are different...
Even if only calculate that I can buy new cossworth engine and sell my I will have more of it.
I drived a speed6 at dealer test program, and drived it a lot (well I'm mazda dealer so I can do this...) and drived it like hell...
And can say that its AWD is awful (on my opinion)... I prefer FWD with LSD.
If here difference between cars was 5K i'd thinked more between charged 6i and speed6.
[/b]

but imagine what you lose.....you lose your warranty, you lose your reliability, You end up paying more than just a turbo kit...You need to forge your internals, Make sure tuning is correct. you get all that and more in a SPeed6. It's not worth putting all the money into the car to make it Just as fast as a SPeed.....you have to keep the boost down to 8psi without forged internals, and that's weak....Just get the speed..

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think most people w/ the 6i aren't looking for incredible amounts of power. Just a little bit more. 6i's are really cheap, and more gas efficient. I didn't even look at the 6s cause I knew I couldn't afford it. I like my 6i just fine, and its still a lot of fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i can tell you that for the price i paid for the new engine, turbo and tranny swap (and end of year upgrades) i'd still be under the sticker price of a speed here in socal....and i have much more fun.

(ie: new car for 15k w/ S plan, 10k in upgrades </= $$ for Speed6)

so it's up to the buyer. if you stick with bolt-ons than you can't worry about "more power" as "more power" means no warranty. if a speed were to keep up with my car there is no way it would be under warranty, so either way your out.

in 44 months i have had my car in for ZERO warranty services outside of the 2 recalls way back in the day....totally no worth waiting for a warranty to end.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Whoa,.. i didnt know the standalone ecu would add that much hp.. Is it compatible with the v6?? If so, I'd be definitely interested in that upgrade. It'd be nice to have control over both power and gas efficiency.. I remember my friend who's a subaru fanatic telling me of his buddy with maps (I'm guessing fuel maps) for stock and one tuned for race gas, 100+ something octane.
[/b]
i didn't say that it would. i meant in conjunction with the other said mods to reach at least 150. depending on how this engine would respond to a new manifold and a quality set of headers/midpipe, along with microtech, 150 should be pretty goddamn easy.

[/b]
i wish people would stop saying that. its not like you have the $12k sitting in your freaking lap. i know i have payments on my 6i that dwarf what some people are paying for the speed6.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I owning mazda dealership, so I tried all of cars and can tell that 6i is the best of it.

2 Business
You need to get used to it and look at everything easier.
You have to pay for 6i at USA 16K and here I need to pay 33K for the same thing. And I dont piss about, because its only defferences and possibilities.

And of course don't need to forget that if you will took a car at credit you need to pay 12-16% a year to bank :)

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
i can tell you that for the price i paid for the new engine, turbo and tranny swap (and end of year upgrades) i'd still be under the sticker price of a speed here in socal....and i have much more fun.

(ie: new car for 15k w/ S plan, 10k in upgrades </= $$ for Speed6)

so it's up to the buyer. if you stick with bolt-ons than you can't worry about "more power" as "more power" means no warranty. if a speed were to keep up with my car there is no way it would be under warranty, so either way your out.

in 44 months i have had my car in for ZERO warranty services outside of the 2 recalls way back in the day....totally no worth waiting for a warranty to end.
[/b]
you can't finance a new Engine, you can't finance a tranny Swap....that's lots of money up front to mod something a Speed6 already gives you. Fine your reliability is good, but that's because you spent all that money upgrading the engine......People that wantto slap a turbo on a 6i won't have as much luck.....You will blow something beyond a safe 8 psi, when you can go 12psi in a Speed6. You can't tell me there is No risk upgrading a car that WAS NOT MEAN'T to be turboed from factory...Especially since you forgot to add the cost of doing it yourself Vs paying out the ass for a Shop to install the kit for you.....

Fien that figure worked for you, but what about the other majority that don't know jack about installing a turbo kit correctly without hang ups? it's going to cost them MORE than if they just went ahead..traded this suck ass, slow ass 6i in and got a Speed6 instead. Saves you the headache and hassle.

Oh yeah and to add AWD...Argument over!!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
you can't finance a new Engine, you can't finance a tranny Swap....that's lots of money up front to mod something a Speed6 already gives you. Fine your reliability is good, but that's because you spent all that money upgrading the engine......People that wantto slap a turbo on a 6i won't have as much luck.....You will blow something beyond a safe 8 psi, when you can go 12psi in a Speed6. You can't tell me there is No risk upgrading a car that WAS NOT MEAN'T to be turboed from factory...Especially since you forgot to add the cost of doing it yourself Vs paying out the ass for a Shop to install the kit for you.....

Fien that figure worked for you, but what about the other majority that don't know jack about installing a turbo kit correctly without hang ups? it's going to cost them MORE than if they just went ahead..traded this suck ass, slow ass 6i in and got a Speed6 instead. Saves you the headache and hassle.
Oh yeah and to add AWD...Argument over!!!!
[/b]
Yea but I get to keep the hatchback style and Lapis blue color that the 6 speed doesn't come in.

Argument over!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not to mention some people like to have a car that is unique. An Speed 6 is stock. Hell yeah its fast. But maybe some people take more pride in having their base 6i transform into an entirely different car.

And come on.. Lapis blue. Gotta love it.

But in all honestly. It just depends on the person. Hell, if i could have got a speed6 in Lapis blue, and for less than 18k.. i would have done it.

But no, my broke ass bought a 16k dollar car, and put 4k down on it. Just to get my payments to 250 a month.

Granted i will never turbo my car, or even make it faster than a stock 6S. But i will be happy with 32 mpg, and a few mods to make it stick out from the rest of the 4i's out there. Especially the ones driven by 40 year old women, lol.

But yeah, you cant compete with the AWD factor. But like i said. In the end..

To Each Their Own :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts