Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have a 2007 Mazda6 WAGON S…I am looking to increase the battery size in the vehicle and was wondering if there was a way to increase the depth where the battery is located in the car. Alternatively, has anyone done another creative DYI solution to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance all!

·
Rally Racer
2,056 Posts
Hi there,

I have a 2007 Mazda6 WAGON S…I am looking to increase the battery size in the vehicle and was wondering if there was a way to increase the depth where the battery is located in the car. Alternatively, has anyone done another creative DYI solution to achieve this?

Its pretty tight in there. I struggle with just keeping the crappy little plastic tray intact. My battery starts to shake all around after a year or two.
You could run a short ram intake and put another battery (or larger one) up where the air box is.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there,

There isn't much to do about depth. You could try and cut the lip off of the battery tray and run a slightly longer or fatter battery but as @DrFeelGood said, there really isn't much room under there in stock form. An intake (short ram, cold air) could gain some room.

You can look into car audio batteries or AGMs. I just did a lot of homework on this and found that the Duracell AGMs that Sam's sells are rebranded Deka batteries. Some of them are same group size as regular batteries but have better ah and cca. These can charge and discharge at a faster rate than a standard battery. Doing the "big 3" and adding a large wire from the Alt out to the battery will help with the faster charge (and is kind of recommend).

As @TalonTsi90 stated, you could also look into lithium batteries. However, these are still pricey for the automotive world. You can expect this to probably be the most expensive option. This would give you the best of the best batteries. However I'm not sure if I would want to run the lithium under the hood. I've only seen these in applications where the battery has been relocated to somewhere inside the car (Like the trunk, under the seat like BMW, etc).

As a final option that is fairly easy is to relocate the battery into the rear of the car. There is plenty of room behind the rear wheelwells to tuck a battery in the little cubby (sedan that I know of). As long as you stay under group 31, no modifications should be needed to the trunk area for it to fit and the battery should sit just fine once strapped down. If you go with the big boy G31, it can sit back there but for it to sit correctly in the cubby it will need to be elevated a little to clear the space between the tail light indent and wheelwell. Raising the battery up slightly will shift it just enough to clear everything. I did have to cut some of the liner out but if I had seen that it would have needed a shelf to sit on anyway, I would have left it. No harm no foul.

1573474797896.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts