Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now stuck in a houseful of Macs, a 20" PowerPC iMac and an iBook G4. They are tied together through an Airport Express wirelessly. So here I am, the last bastion of a PC in this house. I buy a Linksys WMP54G V4.0 802.11g wireless card knowing that the Express works on 802.11g, thinking it will work just fine.

Nope.

Linksys software finds nothing at all, so I uninstall it. Windows Networking finds nothing, at first it seemed like whenever the iBook was open (When opened it automatically reconnects to the network) Windows would find the network and connect and then disconnect a few minutes later. So I permanently tied the wireless adapter to the SSID of the Airport Express, so it wouldn't try to search for it everytime. Samething as before.

I download the WEP key encrypter and got the hex equivalent of the password and tried manually plugging it into the networking settings for WEP128.

So reading up, I go in and disable Wireless Zero in Services, still fixes nothing. So I go to Apple's website and download the Airport Admin utility, burn it to CD and take to the PC.

Unfortunately Airport Admin requires Wireless Zero, so I reactivated it, it finds the base station. I type in the non-hex equivalent of the password, it connects and same as always, it randomly disconnects. There was only one difference now. Before when I had brief connectivity, DSLReports' speed test showed a 266 kbps down / 350 kbps upload speed. After Airport Admin, 3789 kbps down / 350 kbps upload, but still suffers from the same random disconnect.

I have noticed it will start out at 54 Mbps, then quickly degrade to 27 Mbps and then 11 Mbps.

It has gotten so bad I am considering purchasing another overpriced Apple wireless router and connecting it with CAT5e cable directly to my PC.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I just want to be sure...you're trying to connect to Airport from your PC with a Linksys card? Does the wireless icon in the Task Bar indicate the computer is connected to the wireless network? Does the Status window for the wireless connection show that you have limited or no connectivity? Is there a self-assigned 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address?

If so, I hope this helps (please don't take any of this as a slight against your knowledge...just trying to help by eliminating some easy steps) :)

Try these steps:

Make sure that you have the latest Service Pack updates from Microsoft.

Check the website of the wireless access point manufacturer to see if there are any updates to the access point's firmware. In the case of Apple AirPort base stations, see the AirPort Support page (http://www.apple.com/support/airport/) to be sure that you have the latest firmware update for your AirPort product.

Be sure you are using the correct WEP or WPA key (password).

Some third-party security software may impede traffic (some VPN software may also operate a firewall without your knowledge, even if the VPN application is not actively running).

Also, I don't know which Airport you have or which OS you're running, but this may help as well. It's a compatability update for Win2000 and up users:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/air...forwindows.html

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want to be sure...you're trying to connect to Airport from your PC with a Linksys card? Does the wireless icon in the Task Bar indicate the computer is connected to the wireless network? Does the Status window for the wireless connection show that you have limited or no connectivity? Is there a self-assigned 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address?

If so, I hope this helps (please don't take any of this as a slight against your knowledge...just trying to help by eliminating some easy steps) :)

Try these steps:

Make sure that you have the latest Service Pack updates from Microsoft.

Check the website of the wireless access point manufacturer to see if there are any updates to the access point's firmware. In the case of Apple AirPort base stations, see the AirPort Support page (http://www.apple.com/support/airport/) to be sure that you have the latest firmware update for your AirPort product.

Be sure you are using the correct WEP or WPA key (password).

Some third-party security software may impede traffic (some VPN software may also operate a firewall without your knowledge, even if the VPN application is not actively running).

Also, I don't know which Airport you have or which OS you're running, but this may help as well. It's a compatability update for Win2000 and up users:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/air...forwindows.html
[/b]
I am running Windows XP SP2, Airport Express router with the latest firmware upgrade (6.4), the latest Airport Admin utility. When the network connects it gives the proper 10.xxxx IP address that Airport Express assigns to all computers on the network. The only problem is the disconnects.

The Airport Express (It plugs directly into a power strip or wall outlet and that's all there is to it) has WEP 128-bit encryption. It connects with the Airport Admin utility under WEP-128, but like I said, random and constant disconnects.

Windows firewall is disabled and I don't have any other 3rd party firewall or virus protection programs. I am completely and utterly lost right now.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'm not the biggest nerd when it comes to wi-fi, but make sure your local IP addresses don't conflict, and make sure that you are indeed connected to the Airport wireless network.

Windows has a tendency to assign the same IP addresses (at least that is my experience) to multiple network PCs. So make sure that your Windows PC does not have a conflicting local IP number.

Also, the disconnects could be due to an interference with your network.

And you don't need to buy an Apple router to make this work. Just get any regular router. Hell, you might even try just connecting your Ethernet cable from your WinPC to the Mac ethernet plug in the back and try connecting it that way. I've done that before with Windows to Windows, Windows to Linux, but never Windows to Mac. It should theoretically work.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
This is weird. Do you happen to have another wireless card to try with your PC? If it's seeing the Airport and assigning a proper ID, it could be a number of things but hardware is the easiest to troubleshoot at this point. If you can, try another wireless card.
The macs aren't having issues then it's not the Airport.
Plus, there's no reason to get an Apple router so before that, we should be able to try a few more things.
:)

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah sadly it is coming down to most likely hardware issues. The iBook G4 has no problems keeping connectivity in the corner of the bedroom the PC is in, though signal does degrade one to two bars out of a total of four bars on the status bar at the top of the iBook G4.

Airport Admin utility has offered, when it maintained connection long enough, to extend the range of the Airport Express router at the sacrifice of overall performance. I never went about that as I thought range not to be a problem.

As for connecting the PC to the Airport Express, a little hard to do, as the PC is in our bedroom and the Airport Express router is out in the living room at the iMac. I think tomorrow I might try to unplug it and bring it up to the bedroom to see if that resolves anything. I didn't bring any CAT5e cable with me and in a wireless household, it's a hard find, and in a small town, leaves me with Wal-Mart or Radio Shack to buy my cable.

Coming from a household where there was both wired and wireless access, the entire network was Linksys (Both the wired and wireless routers), the only two PCs using wireless were both using Linksys cards, I had alot of faith in Linksys. No this is the only wireless card I have to test.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
there was a micosoft update a long time ago to fix against wireless disconnects, but that was almost 2 years ago if I remember. maybe check drivers. I had a wireles card that I needed to use a very old driver for, because it would have issues on battery power.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
try intel Proset wireless software to detect and connect.....works everytime and better than windows built-in wireless detection system

·
Registered
238 Posts
buy a PC :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It sounds like an issue on the Linksys end. I wish you had another card to test. Hard wiring the pc into the network should at least show a stable connection. If it does, then you can probably rule out software. Since the macs are connecting ok, you can rule out the airport. Let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, for some unknown reason it resolved itself.. I had Automatic Updates turned on in XP and it kept bugging me that I had updates ready to install. So why bummed out over the network connection not working, I let Windows update, from what I saw it was just another Microsoft genuine authentication/validation update. I powered off and when I powered back on the next day, logon was different than it normally was, took a little longer to get to the desktop too, but now the network connects instantly.

There still persists one problem, the network hiccups, it will drop and regain connection, but not drop it long enough for Yahoo Messenger to logoff, it stays logged on. I haven't tried it with any online game yet, but this bugs me, especially if it is going to hiccup and disconnect while I play World of Warcraft.

Any further suggestions?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Interesting. I've seen this with a variety of wireless cards but mainly with older Linksys cards. I'm not saying it's specifically a Linksys thing but the older the card the more probable it's the issue.

However, it's starting to sound like a software conflict (there's usually so much running in the background with Windows). There's got to be something interfering with the connection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
6Venom
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing