Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to install a Motorola IHF1000 bluetooth handsfree car kit. Looking for mounting ideas.

If I take out the cup holder and the the section surrounding the shifter, is there room under the console to install the main module pictured below.

If so, it would make the install more sanitary.

Thanks in advance,

John :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Yeah you will have room under there, maybe not directly under the cup holder, but a little back from there, meaning more under the storage armrest section, it should fit fine.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Being that you have an auto, I can't speak for the room in front of your shifter. However, I'm not so sure the MTX would have had room in front of the shifter to put the box. You'll be able to find a nice, neat spot for it under the console somewhere. How are you running the power for it? For my light controler box, I tapped the extra carjack in the center console and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Right where the 2nd arrow is, you can tape (or somehow mount) your thing on its' side on the side of the console. It also looks thin enough to perhaps fit underneath the cupholders.

Either way, there's lots of space in there. I'm sure you can find someplace to put that.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fantastic inputs guys!

Never thought about getting power from the 12v plug in the console.

Now I just have to run the microphone up to the headliner.

When I take out the cup holder, how difficult is the other piece around the shifter to take out? Any hidden clips?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
There is a great writeup over on 6tech on how to remove the console, I followed it and it came out perfectly.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Never thought about getting power from the 12v plug in the console.

Now I just have to run the microphone up to the headliner.

When I take out the cup holder, how difficult is the other piece around the shifter to take out? Any hidden clips?

[/b]
yeah, i tapped into the 12v there for my underseat cold cathodes.. it was a b!tch getting the 3m tap-in connectors with so little space to work with, but it works now!
the only thing i found slightly difficult with the piece around the shifter is that fact that the front cigarette lighter is attached (at least for the 04) i never had to remove it completely though if you're running wires to the front you really don't need to...
not sure if these pics help, but here they are anyhow... ran the wire from under the seats, to the 12v and then all the way to the front above the pedals to the blank switch...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
theres tons of room in there for that. i have several things tapped off of the cig lighters, both of them. and i have a power adapter for my slimline ps2 in the console. and the write up on 6tech is awesome for it. really once you have taken it apart once, you will be like, damn, that was easy.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Off topic questions, sorry.

Are those floor mats stock, the diamond plated partion?

Also, AZMZ6:
Is your PS2 the slim one? Where is it mounted? Mine sits int eh glove box, but you have to keep it open to actually use it, since the lugs and connections in the back take up more space when in use.

·
Registered
428 Posts
IMO, I think it would be best to mount it under center arm rest storage. This way, it will have less chance of being in the way, when you need to get in there again. If you can, I would try to run a seperate wire for the bluetooth and not tap into the ligher's power. This would prevent less interference if you have something pluged into the ligher and using the bluetooth and the sametime. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMO, I think it would be best to mount it under center arm rest storage. This way, it will have less chance of being in the way, when you need to get in there again. If you can, I would try to run a seperate wire for the bluetooth and not tap into the ligher's power. This would prevent less interference if you have something pluged into the ligher and using the bluetooth and the sametime. Just my opinion...
[/b]
Might be a good idea. I use the plug in the armrest for my phone charger. Though not very often. Hmmm?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Off topic questions, sorry.

Are those floor mats stock, the diamond plated partion?
[/b]
were you referring to my post? if you were, no that's not stock. the carpet is stock, i added on the diamond plate so i'd have a decent heel guard. one thing that irritated me about the car is how they expected the carpet mats to hold up in an MTX.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have you installed it yet? I have been eyeballing one of these units since I got a MS6. I am think of installing one in the ashtray. Please tell how the quality is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
z26
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing