Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked my oil, it's be 900 miles since I changed my oil. It was down a quart! I have a second PCV valve installed inline as a backup. Is there anything else that could eat a quart of oil in 900 miles? Am I to assume I have two faulty PCV valves? Give me some input guys.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Maybe im just retarded but um.. how do you know your down a quart exactly? After you put oil in did you let the engine run for a minute or so then turn it back off wait a few minutes then recheck the dipstick? cuz most of hte time after the engine running you need to add more oil..

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe im just retarded but um.. how do you know your down a quart exactly? After you put oil in did you let the engine run for a minute or so then turn it back off wait a few minutes then recheck the dipstick? cuz most of hte time after the engine running you need to add more oil..
[/b]
I checked the oil and it was down below the lower hole in the dipstick. I added a quart and it put it back near the top hole, but haven't run it yet to see if I need more. That's for tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You do not want to check your oil after you have run your engine for serveral minutes. Oil is pumped all through out the engine, and it takes time for all of it to run back down into the pan. If you check to soon you will not get a accurate reading of how much oil you have. And if you add oil you will be over filling the engine.

You need to check your oil with the engine off, and having sat for serveral minutes on a level surface. If the oil is low it will be bellow the hash mark area. Add oil slowly as to not over fill the engine, and remember it will take time for the oil you just put in to reach the oil pan.

As for why oil dissapears, you might have a bad pcv or you might have a small leak. I would fill the car and keep a close eye on it for the next week to find out if there is really a problem.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You do not want to check your oil after you have run your engine for serveral minutes. Oil is pumped all through out the engine, and it takes time for all of it to run back down into the pan. If you check to soon you will not get a accurate reading of how much oil you have. And if you add oil you will be over filling the engine.

You need to check your oil with the engine off, and having sat for serveral minutes on a level surface. If the oil is low it will be bellow the hash mark area. Add oil slowly as to not over fill the engine, and remember it will take time for the oil you just put in to reach the oil pan.

As for why oil dissapears, you might have a bad pcv or you might have a small leak. I would fill the car and keep a close eye on it for the next week to find out if there is really a problem.
[/b]
I know this. I checked my oil after the car had been sitting for about 30 min. I added the quart. I also checked it again this morning after it sat all night, it's still down about half a quart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts