Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i know this is a redundant subject but i'd appreciate any help you could give me:

im new to the club, i got my 6 back in june. it is a '04 steel grey hatch (nicest car ive ever owned)
i knew the first thing i wanted to mod was the taillights, so i got the N/A 06 black bezel lights. i didnt think taking out the trunk liner would be complicated but im confused about which trims need to come out (the less the better). anyways ive done searches and looked through the shop manual from this site but im still a little lost.

sorry again for playing out this subject, and thanks for any help you guys can give me.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I had to pull off the plastic panel on the trunk lid and loosen/ remove most of the lining of the trunk. You might be able to get the lights on the main body with some persistence if you don't want to remove the trunk walls however (or maybe a universal joint on your rachet?).

·
Registered
978 Posts
all the pics I ran across for how to remove the tail lights were for the sedan. so when I removed mine, there are some plastic covers on the ends of the hatch door that are about 4" tall and 6" wide. once you remove these, you'll see some 10mm nuts that need to be removed (see sedan tail light removal instructions on mazda6tech). one of the nuts is behind the plastic cover and is a bit awkward to get to, but it can be done.

the outside part of the tail lights are accessable through the storage compartments that are in the rear corners of the hatch area. once you remove the doors of the storage compartments, you'll see a couple small "doors" (maybe 3" tall by 5" wide) that are held in place by a piece of velcro. again, look for the two 10mm nuts and follow the instructions on 6tech on how to remove the tail lights. the first time was pretty difficult finding a comfortable way to remove these nuts. I had to lay down in the hatch area to see what I was doing. the openings seem way too small to be able to get to the nuts, but once you see what I'm talking about, it's not hard at all. just tedious. oh yeah, get a flourescent light so you can see.

fyi: there are also some pics on the niteshades post by arch4life on how to remove the lights once the nuts are removed. this thread is pinned in the exterior mods section.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your help guys. i am going to attemp removing the liner hopefully this weekend if it ever stops raining.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts