Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help me here. I finally purchased a project mazda 6 (2003 2.3 fwd) iv replaced complete suspension front an rear all went easy enough with no major issues until I took the car of stand and have been left with a ridiculous amount of space between the wheel and wing at the front dont think it's supposed to be like this or was it just so low before it looks too high now. hopeing iv just made a rooky mistake or overlooked something any help is much appreciated
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Window Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Window Tread

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,731 Posts
Hoping someone can help me here. I finally purchased a project mazda 6 (2003 2.3 fwd) iv replaced complete suspension front an rear all went easy enough with no major issues until I took the car of stand and have been left with a ridiculous amount of space between the wheel and wing at the front dont think it's supposed to be like this or was it just so low before it looks too high now. hopeing iv just made a rooky mistake or overlooked something any help is much appreciated View attachment 243699 View attachment 243700 View attachment 243701
It looks like you tightened your suspension parts with the the wheels off and the parts hanging down. All the suspension arms need to be tightened at normal ride height or it will tear all the bushings in almost no time.

I lowered my car after replacing all the suspension and even just 20mm lower has torn all my bushings, except the upper arms which I did after the spring lowering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you dr feel good so if I put it on ramps and loosen all suspention it will drop into place then tighten it all up again?

·
Registered
2005 6S wagon 5MT
97 Posts
I would start by loosening and re-tightening the suspension when it's loaded up with the weight of the car.

I also wonder if it's possible that the spring rate is wrong. I accidentally gave my old Accord the Carolina lean when I put on front springs meant for the V6 when it was a 4 cyl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just removed the shocker and spring assembly losend all bolts and brought the wheel up to rid hight and re tightend everything and it stayed In place so removed the wheel and to force it all down to refit the shocker so when refit wheel and dropped it stayed high again. So wheel off again losend all bolts and got 2 heavy loads to sit on side ov bonnet with a Jack on th bottom ov the hub to try and force the shocker down with no prevail.... maybe thinking I have the wrong strut for the year or spring is too big?? Was supposed to be original parts bought

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Thats not how you do it. You dont take the strut off to set the lower control arms. Just put it up on ramps like you asked, loosen the LOWER ARMS ONLY and then see if it drops. Make sure you have jack stands under there anyway (to catch the car, not support it), its possible for the wheels to splay outward enough to upset the ramps and flip one out from under the car.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,731 Posts
@Michael88
I took the tire off and put the lug nuts on to secure the rotors. I then lowered the rotors on wood blocks so I could reach up and put the final torque on the two upper control arm bolts, lower rear and lower forward control arm in addition to the strut fork attachment.
Both fronts need to be in the same state to get the level correct.
As for the OP I am wondering if you didn't get diesel spring?
Also, is there a motor installed in that car currently?

If you are trying to do it with only the front up on jack stands you will need to take the lower strut fork off the control arms to get the correct ride height. Trying to compress the suspension enough with a floor jack will lift the car off the stands before you get to the correct height. Part of the vehicles mass is shifted rearward, when it is up in the air on front stands, and this is the reason why.

@Ignatius Reilly I didn't think the UK got the v6...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts