Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mazdaspeed 6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so i have a 2007 mazdaspeed 6 and the headlights are dead so i was going to replace them but i can figure out how too. The wires go through a rubber thing on the lid then plug into a connector. The problem is i cant figure out how to unplug them from the bulb and i also can’t find any lights that have wires coming out of them only ones that have a Metal piece on them.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,754 Posts
Pulling the bumper isn't as bad as it sounds on the speed 6. Handful of bolts, a couple of clips to pull, and you'll have infinitely better access to the headlights since you can pull them out with a few screws.

Also, those clear plastic bits on the yellow/black wires can be pulled off even if they're crimped, then you can pull the wires/bulb through the hole no problem.

·
Registered
2007 Mazdaspeed 6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulling the bumper isn't as bad as it sounds on the speed 6. Handful of bolts, a couple of clips to pull, and you'll have infinitely better access to the headlights since you can pull them out with a few screws.

Also, those clear plastic bits on the yellow/black wires can be pulled off even if they're crimped, then you can pull the wires/bulb through the hole no problem.
Oh ok so the bulbs do come out of the black plastic piece.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
If the bulbs you are replacing have wire leads attached to them, they may be aftermarket HID bulbs.

Perhaps someone can refresh my memory...
Did some Speeds come with halogen headlights?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I think only the GT trim did. Why they were all GT is beyond me. And even on the GTs, you could have different options vs a plain 6.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If the bulbs you are replacing have wire leads attached to them, they may be aftermarket HID bulbs.

Definitely an aftermarket HID kit, had something very similar on my old 3. That said, follow the wires back and there’ll be a small metal box (ballast) those were notorious for going bad on aftermarket kits. Then depending on the kit, the original headlight harness should plugged into the ballast.

·
Registered
2007 Mazdaspeed 6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Oh yea that would make sense, wondering why all the 6’s have different bulbs. Just recently got the car and am a noob. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Oh yea that would make sense, wondering why all the 6’s have different bulbs. Just recently got the car and am a noob. Thanks for all the help.
If you can find the original headlight harness (should be an H1 connector) I’d look into an H1 LED replacement bulb… leds have come a long way, cheap, bright, no ballast

edit: just remembered how they hooked up. The original connector is in the headlight housing with the bulb. Matter of fact it’s probably the black thing in the picture, the yellow wire should tug out. TheHID wire then went out through a rubber grommet to the ballast and then back into the headlight to the hid bulb. You should be able to get an H1 bulb into the housing and connect it with the black connector. You could remove the ballast if you want to or just cut the wires. Then you might want to look into a new headlight dust cover; they’re cheap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts