Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what body trim my "new" 2014 Mazda 6 is but I doubt it would affect any of what I need to find, nor the programming for what I would call the key fob but it's a push button start.

1. I need to find out how to program the "key fob" for the keyless ignition. I saw some YouTube videos but they were for older models and one even stated that it would not work on the keyless ignition models. I've programmed the ypes for the 2004-9 models but this apparently is a different beast. I need to buy an extra one (I only have one right now) and will need to program both I think once I get it.
2. I don't know what these are called so I don't know where to look for them, but the front and rear bumpers were replaced due to cosmetic damage in a minor fender bender. There are some sort of inserts in the front and rear bumper. The front one is round, the rear has two square ones. What are these called and does anyone have a source?
3. The fuse box cover just inside the driver's door is missing. Where might I find one of those?
4. I need one radio knob for the basic AM/FM/CD radio. I can get by without it but a pair costs $18 and that seems steep for a knob. Maybe a generic set would work?
5. How do I find out what trim level this car is so when I'm at the parts store I know what to tell them when they ask?

Any advice on where to find these parts, what to call them, etc., and some instructions on the web for programming this type of "key fob" would be greatly appreciated (I can get one or about $15 but I want to know how to program it before buying it). This is my first Mazda 6 (I had a 626 a couple of decades ago) and it's much more comfortable than our 2009 Mazda 3. And the 6th gear overdrive is a plus, too.

Thanks in advance!!!

Donald

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As to #1 above, The key fob I found that was cheap was just a key cover, without the electronics inside. After reading elsewhere in the forum it appears that only dealers can program a new fob but elsewhere it's been mentioned a locksmith can do it also. Can someone verify that a locksmith can program these things? An actual OEM key fob costs under $60 and has the emergency key as part of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. So they're tow hook covers or plugs? I'd like to know what they part is officially referred to. I might find them in a salvage yard but they'd need to know what I'm looking for. But at least this might give me a beter way of telling them what it is I"m looking for. In the old days we jusgt went out in the salvage yard, took what we needed from a car, then brought it back and settled up with the yard owner. It's not that simple anymore, probably because of liability concerns.

I found the OEM fob on ebay from a Mazda dealership for about $57 and a local locksmith equipped to program it for $50. The locksmith will check Monday on his price for the fob .If it's not much more, I'll buy from him and support a local small business. That would also guarantee me that if he couldn't program it, I wouldn't have to pay for it. I"d prefer to have the OEM fob with the Mazda emblem on it, and the one on ebay has it. We'll see what the local guy can get.

I found the fuse box cover new on ebay for less than $20. I need to figure out if the kick panel it fastens to is in good enough condition to hold it in place, or if I need to buy the kick panel with the cover together for about $38.

Thanks for the help!

Donald

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your seats are cloth it's a Sport. If your seats are vinyl, it's a Touring and if your seats are leather, it's a Grand Touring. Only GT's got a power passenger seat, if you can't tell vinyl from leather.

That's for meteor gray.

Or, junk yards are your friend....

This door was $200, other driver's insurance company paid me over $800 for damage. I installed it myself and kept the difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I do know the difference between vinyl and leather but mine are cloth, so it's a sport. I love the car. I've sourced a second OEM new key fob and a nearby locksmith can program it for $50. Total cost will be about $107 for the fob and programming and a bit more for cutting the emergency key. I didn't realize doors cost so much!!! But you made out well with $600 to keep in your pocket. Good for you! The dealer I got the car from (for $5250, a decent price, I think) is checking to see if the local Mazda dealer has the tow hook covers for the bumpers. If not, I'll be paying a visit to the junk yard and doing some spray can painting to match.

Thanks!
Donald

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The local locksmith had the equipment to program the key fob I bought on ebay from remotewholesale (99.3% seller rating). I ordered and installed the interior fuse box cover for the kick panel and it fit nicely. I ordered the bumper tow hook hole covers but they will take a while to get here. I am now wondering if there's a good place to buy canned spray paint to match the car. The prices I see are not cheap but I will pay that if I have to. I'll post a separate post for the question of where to buy paint at a reasonable price. I will need to match the color for the bumper covers. I bought a tow hook mount license plate holder since the new bumper didn't come with a plate holder but I won't need it after this summer when our state no longer will require a front license plate. After then, I will plug the hole with the front hole cover and remove the plate holder, which was cheap (under $15 shipped).

I also noticed that the LH side rear reflector on the bumper was missing so I ordered one of those, too. I consider that a useful safety item as it makes it easier to see the car when it's parked, and it would be the LH side that would be most likely to be hit when it's parked on the street.

Thanks for the help.

Donald

1 - 7 of 7 Posts