Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I screwed up and need help. Bash me later, but pls help me now!!! :tear:
Thank you...

I removed the the bolt (top of damper/coil overs, that's under the hood). When I did that the damper fell in, now it's inside the spring. I know this is under pressure and I don't know how to take it out. I do have the 'how to' remove/change the springs from here and mazda6club.com, but since this is an error not sure now.

Since this is under pressure, how can safely fix/remove???

·
Registered
94 Posts
I assume that the front end is off the ground and the wheel is off. Simply put a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up slowly until the shock shaft is back through the upper mount and then you can put the nut back on.

Be careful!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume that the front end is off the ground and the wheel is off. Simply put a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up slowly until the shock shaft is back through the upper mount and then you can put the nut back on.
Be careful!
[/b]
I tried this about 3-4x and it won't go through the hole??? Can I safety remove coilover/spring?
If I can't fix it, can I drive to the nearest service shop without harming the car??

·
Registered
94 Posts
I tried this about 3-4x and it won't go through the hole??? [/b]
Try it again. Having an assistant move the shock around while you look down through the upper mount would help.
Can I safety remove coilover/spring?[/b]
If you have a spring compressor that will fit over the spring while its still in place then yes.
If I can't fix it, can I drive to the nearest service shop without harming the car??
[/b]
Absolutely not!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try it again. Having an assistant move the shock around while you look down through the upper mount would help.
If you have a spring compressor that will fit over the spring while its still in place then yes.
Absolutely not!
[/b]
I do have a pair of spring compressor. I'll try this and I know it will be a tight fit working under there.
I'll be back...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree, just keep trying to get that thing up through the hole. Don't be afraid to push the shock rod from underneath, unless your jack slips, there's no danger.

And I also agree, don't ever drive the car in this condition, you will destroy the shock and the top mount.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using the compressor is almost impossible down there. I have to get a buddy of mine here to help me get it through the hole. But that won't be for a few hours. Any other suggestions in the mean time???
Thank you....................

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't be afraid to push the shock rod from underneath, unless your jack slips, there's no danger.
[/b]
Cool... even if I shake/move constantly it won't pop out of break loose???

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK... I had to lower the spring, b/c the damper rod in in the spring. On Mazda tech forum, I was told to place car jack on bottom of fork and remove fork screw/bolt (the large one with the large rubber gromet). I removed it. Is the spring fully de-compressed?? I have lowered the car jack all the way down. Just not sure if fully de-compressed??

Now what NEXT step??? I have the screw/bolt off (the long one that has a large rubber gromet on it)- bottom of the fork.

What can I remove next???? Please in order.

There's the brake line bolt.... the top of the fork screw/bolt (smaller one)... and the 3 bolts on top, under the hood.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Heh. I've made that same mistake before once. Never again...

IMO your best bet is to try to get the spring compressors on the spring. That's the way I dealt with the problem and it worked out pretty well. It was a bit of a pain to get the compressors on the spring and tightened, but if you've got an air ratchet it shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heh. I've made that same mistake before once. Never again...

IMO your best bet is to try to get the spring compressors on the spring. That's the way I dealt with the problem and it worked out pretty well. It was a bit of a pain to get the compressors on the spring and tightened, but if you've got an air ratchet it shouldn't be too bad.
[/b]
I'll try that again. It was a tight fit and couldn't get the spring compressor to fit. Can I use just 1 compressor, instead of 2. I don't even think I can get 2 on there???

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for everyone's help. I finally got this removed last night. And it was a PITA!!!! Never again will I make that error.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ok, i know ya got it fixed, but you said coilovers...maybe i'm not reading it or understanding your problem correctly, but i've never needed a spring compressor for coilover springs...besides, if the shaft nut is off and no longer attached to the upper mount...and the car is in the air/wheel removed....there's no pressure left on the spring. All ya had to do was remove the strut (one bolt) and reassemble it, pop it back in and blam, in 5 mins you're done.

Edit: sorry 2 bolts, have to remove the sway bar link too and the brake line tab..damn 3 bolts...but it's still a 5 minute job :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.