Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I got my car at the end of November. I get my car cleaned every 1-2 weeks. Its silver so easier maintenance? well hopefully. Spring is here and I'm planning on getting my car real shiny next week when it gets warmer.

I'm a little afraid of using a claybar at the moment. Here's what I decided to do:

Car wash (touchless)
Wash by hand
Dry
Tire shine spray
Wax (liquid based)

I'm thinking of using the liquid wax where I can just use a wax cloth to spread. There are a couple of things I'm worried about.
How do I make sure that all the sand and small particles are removed before I wax?
Is the claybar really necessary at this point? (keep in mind my car is relatively new and I don't have any water spots since I wash by hand and dry by hand each time).
What steps do I have missing?
Do I need to dry it out in the sun after waxing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Click Here. This is the thread i made, it might give you a good idea of what a full wash/wax consists of.

As far as the clay bar is concerned. There is nothing to be afraid of. You just have to make sure you your car completely clean before you use it. And by completely, i mean, no sand, grime, debris, ANYTHING solid that might be caked to your car.

The Clay bar picks up everything. To get an idea of what a clay bar is. Dont think clay! Its more like a thicker silly putty. Its sticky when dry, and it can be molded to different shapes. When you use a lubricating spray or soapy water it glides right across your cars paint with no problem. If its dry, it just sticks to your cars paint. The properties of the clay which are "sticky" are exactly what lifts the contaminents off of your cars clear coat. It will pick up dirt, dust, sand, tiny stones, ANYTHING that is on your cars paint. So make sure you get it completely clean, you dont want it to pick up a stone and scratch the hell out of your paint!

If you go to a touchless car wasn AND wash by hand. You should have nothing to worry about. Your car should be completely clean by then. And if its not, you are doing something wrong :p

1. Cleaner Wax
2. Polish -non ebrasive, clear coat safe polish
3. Wax

Since your car is new, i wouldnt worry about using the clay bar. But if you want to get your car free of wax (clay bar removes wax) You could use dawn dish soap to wash your car. Dawn dish soap also removes wax. And procede to wash, polish and wax.

Most waxes and polishes recomend that you do it in the shade. Your final coat of wax should simply be applied, left to dry, and buffed off by hand.

Just make sure after you wax your car, that you use a car wash solution that is safe for waxed surfaces. You dont want to wash your car later with a soap that will remove your wax. that would just ruin your entire job!

Good luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I think I'll skip the claybar this time around since my car looks clean after a regular wash. I'll just do the 2 car washes and wax. I haven't done it before but we'll have to see how it goes! Anybody has any experience using the liquid wax? Just spray and spread it evenly with a cloth?

·
Registered
123 Posts
You mean the spray on wax? I have never used it. But i was always under the impression that it was meant for upkeep. Meaning after you wash and wax your car the first time, a couple months down the road. The spray wax is used as a quick way to keep your car looking newly waxed.

If you are doing your very fist wax. Use the paste wax. Its probably the same price, but it allows for an even waxing of your entire car. Just let it dry, buff it off and you are done.

Others may have a better suggestion. But i wouldnt personally use the spray on stuff. Maybe later down the road if you want a quick shine.

Also.. in the future. I wouldnt go to a touchless car wash. Its pretty much a waste of money if you can do the wash yourself.

If you have access to a hose, get one of those nozzles that gives you a higher pressure spray. Or even better, a pressure washer. Rinse, THEN wash.

After that you should be set.

1. Rinse/Wash/Dry
2. Cleaner
3. Polish
4. Wax

or something like that :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeap I was talking about the spray on wax. How do you buff the wax off if using the paste wax? I've heard of some ppl using the tool/machine thing. That looks scary. I'm doing nothing but using a cloth. Do I have to use some cloth specially for waxing?

As for the touchless car wash, I have like coupons for that... 12... came with the car. Its fairly decent. Doesn't remove the dirt entirely, but still good enough for something touchless. Other times I just hand wash the car in my apt garage. My method of washing is one round of rinsing, then wash.. As I wash I have the hose with me to wash off the soap immediately. After that I spray the underbody.

sorry for the noob questions. upkeep and car. They didn't go along together for me... until I got the 6.

You mean the spray on wax? I have never used it. But i was always under the impression that it was meant for upkeep. Meaning after you wash and wax your car the first time, a couple months down the road. The spray wax is used as a quick way to keep your car looking newly waxed.

If you are doing your very fist wax. Use the paste wax. Its probably the same price, but it allows for an even waxing of your entire car. Just let it dry, buff it off and you are done.

Others may have a better suggestion. But i wouldnt personally use the spray on stuff. Maybe later down the road if you want a quick shine.

Also.. in the future. I wouldnt go to a touchless car wash. Its pretty much a waste of money if you can do the wash yourself.

If you have access to a hose, get one of those nozzles that gives you a higher pressure spray. Or even better, a pressure washer. Rinse, THEN wash.

After that you should be set.

1. Rinse/Wash/Dry
2. Cleaner Wax
3. Polish
4. Wax

or something like that :)
[/b]

·
Registered
123 Posts
For paste wax, just use a sponge applicator. You know, the round cloth sponges? They are palm size, and perfect for applicaton. Once the wax dries.. you have to buff it off.

You could use an electric buffer, but for wax, its not needed. All you need is a clean dry TerryCloth Cotton towel, or a dry Microfiber Towel. All can be found at Wal-Mart.

To buff it off, just take the cloth and rub down your car. Make sure its DRY. A wet cloth, or even a slightly damn cloth just smears your wax. You want to wax to dry, so using a wet cloth only makes it a mess.

Other than that, thats pretty much it. Just make sure you wax every inch of your car, and buff it off evenly. If you miss a spot, and you get rain, it will bead up and off of your car in one spot, and just sit there in another. It wont look nice. Plus wax protects your finish so make sure to get it all ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Actually, I think you should still clay your car even if it's fairly new. It's been sitting in the dealer lot for who knows how long and plus there's also rail dust or whatever dust that coats the car when it's being transported. Either way, better safe than sorry right? You wouldn't wanna be waxing in tiny particles of dirt.

I have the Mother's brand clay bar kit. To be honest, the first time I used it, I didn't feel a difference in the paint smoothness. I think it's because I was being too gentle since I was scared to scratch the paint. The second time I clayed, I did that plastic bag trick and I did feel the difference. So yea, I think with enough lubrication and a firm (but not too firm) pressure, claying your car shouldn't be too hard.

And for those electric buffers, I'm staying away from those right now. Until I get the hang of detailing by hand, I'm not gonna touch any electric stuff. From what I've read, a PC (porter cable) is better for beginners.

Oh, and Juslen6 is right about the spray wax. It's more of a booster wax than just a wax wax. I have the spray wax tho because that's all I could find in the local stores. But now I know where to get the wax so...next detail, we'll see how that turns out.

Here's my process. or....gonna be process since I haven't done it yet.
-wash
-clay
-pre-wax cleaner
-wax

Eh, add the tires too. I'm no expert or anything so I'll prolly mess that up the first time. It's ok. You learn as you go. Autopia.org is addicting. check that site out, if you haven't yet. whoooo, fun! let's have a detailing meet! haha :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought Meguiars NXT today and will be waxing tomorrow. Correct me if I'm wrong here... once I'm ready to wax, I damp the sponge applicator, dip it into the paste wax (how much do I use?) and start applying it to the car. I'll probably do section by section... so I'll start with the front, then rear then sides. I'm guessing I apply the wax to that whole area (hood and bumper) before its time to buff? Is that enough time for the wax to dry?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought Meguiars NXT today and will be waxing tomorrow. Correct me if I'm wrong here... once I'm ready to wax, I damp the sponge applicator, dip it into the paste wax (how much do I use?) and start applying it to the car. I'll probably do section by section... so I'll start with the front, then rear then sides. I'm guessing I apply the wax to that whole area (hood and bumper) before its time to buff? Is that enough time for the wax to dry?
[/b]
nvm.. for total noobs like me: http://www.ehow.com/how_1327_wax-car.html

·
Registered
467 Posts
The NXT takes a little longer to dry than other waxes (well, I use the liquid). If it's paste it probably will be faster. For waxing, I usually put a dime- to nickel-size blob on the pad, once it's gotten enough wax in it that's it's not just absorbing it anymore.

As for drying, lightly rub your finger on the surface, if it comes clean it's dry. If it smears it's still wet.

Don't put so much on you get any visible whiteness. Just try to get the surface a little hazy, and look at it from an angle. It's better to put on 2 thin coats than 1 thick coat which does nothing but waste wax.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Whatever you do dont use Meguiars QuikWax. Decided to pick it up one day since I've been busy with school, work, deadlines lately... was the worst Meguiar product I ever used. Still have white spots all over my car from the spray wax.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
[/b]
Don't damp the applicator unless the instructions tell you to do so. I haven't found a synthetic yet that uses that step (and most carnaubas dropped that step years ago!)

In other words: RTFI!

:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't damp the applicator unless the instructions tell you to do so. I haven't found a synthetic yet that uses that step (and most carnaubas dropped that step years ago!)

In other words: RTFI!

:D
[/b]
ehhh... advice came a lil late... I did damp the applicator every now and then. That's why it probably took damn long for the wax to dry off at times. Either way, don't think anything harmful happened. The car still looked awesome after the wax! I'll post photos if anybody is interested... light colored cars aren't that reflective :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
mazda606
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing