Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a trustworthy shop either in the Cambridge/Belmont/Watertown area, or up on the North Shore? My 2004 6s recently lost a rod bearing and the dealership is quoting me over $6K for a factory refurb (including labor), which seems a bit steep. Also I am not sure how reliable they are, and they are not very convenient either to my house (on Cape Ann) or to my office (Cambridge). Any recommendations based on first-hand experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS: I looked around and did not see a forum topic on this -- please let me know if there is a place I overlooked with this kind of info

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Shouldn't this be covered by warranty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't this be covered by warranty?
[/b]
The car has 57Kmi, so technically it's 7K past on the manufacturer warranty. I have extended warranty but the insurance company is giving me grief because their policy excludes mechanical damage resulting from low lubricant levels. I am trying to point out to them that it was not the result of negligence on my part (I have found the posts about a problem with the PCV valve and have the dealer look into it now).

In any event, my dealership is not very convenient to either home or work, so I thought I'd look for a reputable place that is also convenient.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Alrighty how often do you get oil changes and where do you get your oil changes done. How much do you drive man I have an 03 and I drive it everyday and I only have 52k on it and Ive driven half way across the country and back. Youve been doing some serious :drive:. I cant say much for any dealerships around here. I got all my warranty work done at rt. 9 I forget the name but its right there with all the other dealerships. My dad is good friends with the head guy theres so they take real good care of my car. Basically what im saying is I have never had a problem with them there but from what I hear from other people its not that good. Good luck with getting that fixed.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Wow this sucks. My advice would be to ask everyone you know if they have some connections with a service manager. I had the same problem but with a Contour, and I was way out of warranty 55k(warranty was 36k) and Ford manned up and paid almost all of the bill except $500. This really fucking pisses me off that Ford still hasnt upgraded the rod bearings. They cheapened out, and as a result the engines are shitting themselves left and right. If that doesnt work and you have tried contacting MAZDA USA directly(which you should) then Ide go to a private mechanic and have them do it. It will be alot cheaper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow this sucks. My advice would be to ask everyone you know if they have some connections with a service manager. I had the same problem but with a Contour, and I was way out of warranty 55k(warranty was 36k) and Ford manned up and paid almost all of the bill except $500. This really fucking pisses me off that Ford still hasnt upgraded the rod bearings. They cheapened out, and as a result the engines are shitting themselves left and right. If that doesnt work and you have tried contacting MAZDA USA directly(which you should) then Ide go to a private mechanic and have them do it. It will be alot cheaper.
[/b]
I have been making some headway and it looks like the extended warranty company may be paying for it after all. Fortunately I saved receipts for all my oil changes. I suspect that if the extended warranty company did not come through Mazda would probably help out, especially since their warranty was 50Kmi.

By the way, to all those of you driving the 6s (3.0 V6), have someone knowledgeable check your PCV valve. As shown in recent posts in the engine section, it's a $12 part that is known to fail, causing oil to get sucked right out of your engine. Why the f***k the oil pressure light doesn't come on before your engine self-destructs is baffling...

[/b]
My office is about 45mi from home (42 of those is highway), so I have been logging 27K/yr. I couldn't think of a better car to do it in. As I mentioned in reply to my other post I have been working with my extended insurance company (boy am I glad about now that I paid that extra $900), but if that should fail Mazda USA is next in line.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Good luck with everything, next time get an extended warranty from the car manufacturer, from what I hear its easier to get work done that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
lapis_blue_beast
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing