Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So making progress on the car, almost time to mount the amplifiers.

After raammat and a single layer of ensolite on the trunk today, I got the sub in and started to play with amplifier mounting. I mis-calculated just how much space the sub box was going to take and can't go with my original plan.

So here are some pictures of what I would like to do, but I am afraid I lack the fabrication skills to make it a reality. If I can find someone to give me a hand I can probably do something.

Everyday amp position. Would like center amp back to be visible (has the RF logo on it) Both left and right amps will be fixed permanently, but the center amp needs to be able to pivot down so the pass through can be used.

Amp in the down position for pass through use...

The amp is upside down because the bottom is where all the wires come in and out of the amp so when pivoting, there is minimal stress on the wires/cables.

Any ideas, experts, that might be able to help?

The only alternative I see to this at this point that keeps maximum useable trunk space is to mount the Punch 150 to the back seat, but I am only 75% confident that it will fit between the seat and the bracing without contact, especially once someone seats down.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
No "expert", but I can say with reasonable certainty that there will not be clearance issues with the amp mounted to the seat. This is provided you are removing the recessed trim pc that is out of the car in the pic. I mounted my caps in this position, they were 2 7/8" tall, and no problems (although I mounted them to the back of a rack that was in the position of the original trim pc - but it is the same idea). I also fried my brain trying to figure out a way to mount the amps while still being able to use pass through. I originally thought about a rack under the back deck, but I quickly realized there wasn't enough room without relocating the dvd for the nav (and even then it was tight). Just gave up and installed a fixed rack along the back wall.
Good luck, glad to see you are back on the project.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I thought about a rack at the top of the trunk, but they are just too big.

I really, don't want to lose the use of the passthrough. I play hockey twice a week most weeks and don't want to start carrying the sticks in the front of the car.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Latest Idea:

150 on one side, 75 on the other. The 45 and or the the 75 get put on a board upside dowon on the rear deck. I know about the pros and cons of putting an amp upside down, this is not the place for discussion of that. The 45 will only be pushing the rear speakers so overheating will not be a problem.

With the amps in this way, they should eat up a minimal amount of space, it's not as "pretty", but I can use the pass through, they are in a fixed position and still acceptable as far as presentation goes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
As you might expect, something like 1/2" MDF is going to be good for the smaller side amps. Cut a piece of MDF that is small enough to be hidden by the amp but barely big enough to utilize the mounting feet. That will contribute to the "floating" look. From that point, you can make a stand for each amp with more MDF, some screws and Liquid Nails. And as much as I hate to say it, screwing the stands into the metal tub of the car is the safest way to keep the amps secure.

The Punch 150 will be the tough one. Again, you'll need a base panel to mount to the floor/tub for maximum stability. For mounting the amp, you might want to consider a small sheet of 1/2" plexiglass like from www.estreetplastics.com so that the amp is still mounting on a single solid plane. A simple hinge from Home Depot isn't going to cut the mustard. The key is to have it lock into place for the upright or flat positions. McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) has a really great selection of position hinges that should work pretty well. Input item# 1604A41 in the search box - this is a nice lever-locking hinge that will lock the hinge into place at an infinitely variable angle.

Just some ideas before heading off to bed. Hope this helps! Been really enjoying your install thread!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input.

I think I am moving more towards the second set of images I posted.

Less moving parts = Good

More trunk space = Good

Not as pretty as the initial idea = Bad

But the goods outweigh the negatives. I'll keep thinking on it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Gotcha. I know you said it's not the place to argue upside-down amp mounting, but it is totally feasible to mount that Punch 45 right-side-up on the rear deck. Just use longer screws/bolts so that it's kinda "suspended". :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought about that too...

But I think if the heat sink is exposed to open air rather than pushed up against the rear deck it will be effective enough.

I had this discussion with a guy at a local shop who has been doing this for 20+ years today that I trust very much and he assured me, especially with the 45 and 75 only powering door speakers that putting them upside down would be okay. Especially if it's just the 45 that's going upside down, I think I'll be fine (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
why dont u do something like this?

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=59112

put the two smaller amps just like this and put the large amp on the trunk floor just below the frame at the passthru. u can slide your hockey gear on top of it or cover it with a piece of cardboard so it doesnt get scratched.

another option is to remove the subwoofer from the rear deck, cut out a rectangle or build a new rear dash, and mount the amp atop the rear deck in the rear windshield where the old subwoofer grill is. just make sure you tint the rear windows so no one can see it to steal it. this way, your sub and two small amps are off to the sides of the trunk so u have maximum space + passthru. only thing that wont fit will be golfclubs, but u can remove the sub if u need to do that.

im in the bay area btw if u need some help. i dont have access to a machine shop, but i know my way around one. if u go with my idea, u'll only need some wood tools tho. power drill and saw.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about placement on the side like that, but IIRC that makes it too difficult to but the hockey bag in between the sub and the amps.

I'll have to double check fitment, but I am pretty sure that won't work for me.

I am planning on removing the BOSE sub from the rear deck, but don't want to do too many modifications to it beyond that. Some sort of rack isn't out of the question though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What kind of problems would be caused if mounted under the rubber mat???

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Those memphis amps are tiny, not really an option with most other brands.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do like your set-up, it's very clean.

Unfortunately for me my amps are too big to do that and maintain maximum trunk space.

Had I the money to just get a couple of Alpine PDX amps this wouldn't be a problem, but alas, I didn't. he he

·
Registered
197 Posts
Man you have some sweet amps. I would make a nice enclosure for those things and show them off. I would do an "old school" install with removable pannels so you could hide them if you wanted to. Wish I had a better idea for you but short of ditching your spare tire and doing something in there it is going to be tough. Just my .02 cents. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
381 Posts
you can layer it so the top overshadows the other two.

you can use just MDF, cut small so it can mount the AMP but unseen, or Fiberglass over the whole thing for looks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You and I are on the same wavelength Bobby.

I was thinking about it some more today and came up with the layering idea, however I still want to maintain the use of the pass through so instead of of doing it the way you have it set up, I would layer the 75 and 45 one in front of each other on the left side the way they are in the picture on post 4, and the 150 would be solo on the right side.

However,

I wonder if they could be floated and layered. Will have to play around with it and see what kind of space that might require and how much of the pass through they would cover up.

In other words, do the layer like you illustrated, but float it at the top of the trunk up under the rear deck, instead. The only concerns with this are strength of materials and how well it might hold up to autox/track events in addition to "spirited" driving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts