Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE (Stevenator128 @ Jan 3 2010, 09:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1627109
By "fix itself" in a few revolutions, does that mean it wears itself down or damages something? That just sounds iffy, but i'm interested still lol[/b]
According to Vulcan tire - no they said the chains are designed to fit without any interference. They said if there is some interference, it's because the chain didn't get fit properly on the tire, and in a few revolutions it should seat itself correctly on the tire and not have any interference. Like I said, I didn't get to test it out on an actual drive in the snow but just rolling back and forth a bit I didn't notice any interference.

toecheese, I agree, Autosocks are awesome! My only concern was when we had a big snowstorm in 2008, followed by several days of below freezing weather. Those with chains had caused big ruts in the ice and snow covered roads. Autosocks work great on smooth packed snow but I wasn't sure if they'd have the digging power of chains in such a condition.

·
Registered
31 Posts
NickC - did you ever get a chance to try the Autosocks in the ice where it has been chued up by chains/trucks? I'm running into the same problem with my 05 6s wagon. I also looked at the Thule K-Summit, but ouch it is 397. I can't decide on the Autosock and the Vulcan Super Z-6.

Any other advice out there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
NickC - did you ever get a chance to try the Autosocks in the ice where it has been chued up by chains/trucks? I'm running into the same problem with my 05 6s wagon. I also looked at the Thule K-Summit, but ouch it is 397. I can't decide on the Autosock and the Vulcan Super Z-6.

Any other advice out there?
We've just had lots of fun with Weissocks (Snow socks, very similar.) We had freak snow here in Dublin in early 2010 and then all during December. (one clear week in December).

The wife and I used socks on my 6 and her Volvo s40. Fit no problem and both cars have limited clearance They work great on ice and up to 4 inches of snow. the hill near our home was like tetris with cars one evening and I could out-steer everything.

However, you HAVE to take them off on clear roads as they wear out in no time (my wife's are trashed now) and you are limited to 30mph. they do "self-center". Leave them on for a few days and it takes patience and a high pain barrier to remove them.

Do not expect to get "years of service" from them... but they beat getting stuck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a cheap set of 15" steel rims w snow tires off Craigslist. I don't feel like switching them, but I'm gonna!

·
Rally Racer
2,644 Posts
I got a cheap set of 15" steel rims w snow tires off Craigslist. I don't feel like switching them, but I'm gonna!
I wonder if they will fit over your brakes?
I used a set from a Mazda 3. Steel 16" with 205/55/16 for several years. They worked well and cleared my stock wagon brakes. I had to find a different solution when I put my big brake kit on. Now I use the original 17" wheels with snow tires.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts