Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short.

I teach my wife how to drive standard out in the boonies.
We go to the Mazda dealer and pick out a Mazdaspeed 6 and pay $26,679 driveout.
Wife loves the car but can't stand the "stop/go" bumper to bumper traffic commute to work everyday.
Wife wants to sell the car and get something else now. :swearin:

Yea I know. Dumb move but I kinda pressured my Wife into getting the car because of the performance aspect of the car. Now I really regret it and I should have just let her pick a regular cheapo car(civic, toyota, etc).

She's only 4'11 and when she drives it she says the car feels too big for her(her old car is a del sol). The car has less than 800 miles on it and it's just chillin here in our driveway.

We put it up for sale on autotrader and on craigslist with an asking price of $26k obo. What would be a reasonable offer on the car? We know we may take a loss on it and that's ok...we can deal with paying off the difference. What I can't deal with is paying monthly on such a nice car that she doesn't want :(

Here are some pics of the car.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Long story short.

I teach my wife how to drive standard out in the boonies.
We go to the Mazda dealer and pick out a Mazdaspeed 6 and pay $26,679 driveout.
Wife loves the car but can't stand the "stop/go" bumper to bumper traffic commute to work everyday.
Wife wants to sell the car and get something else now. :swearin:

Yea I know. Dumb move but I kinda pressured my Wife into getting the car because of the performance aspect of the car. Now I really regret it and I should have just let her pick a regular cheapo car(civic, toyota, etc).

She's only 4'11 and when she drives it she says the car feels too big for her(her old car is a del sol). The car has less than 800 miles on it and it's just chillin here in our driveway.

We put it up for sale on autotrader and on craigslist with an asking price of $26k obo. What would be a reasonable offer on the car? We know we may take a loss on it and that's ok...we can deal with paying off the difference. What I can't deal with is paying monthly on such a nice car that she doesn't want :(

Here are some pics of the car.

Thanks guys.
[/b]
Not to bust your bubble, but I have basically the same car (GT with NAV) and I paid $25535. Honestly I think a reasonable price (and I'll likely get flamed by someone here) would be 23-24K in a person to person sale. Since you can buy a brand new one of the same type with 0-100 miles on the odo, you're never going to get 26K for one with 800miles. But you never know, just my 2 cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I think you should keep it for yourself and sell your car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to bust your bubble, but I have basically the same car (GT with NAV) and I paid $25535. Honestly I think a reasonable price (and I'll likely get flamed by someone here) would be 23-24K in a person to person sale. Since you can buy a brand new one of the same type with 0-100 miles on the odo, you're never going to get 26K for one with 800miles. But you never know, just my 2 cents. Good luck!
[/b]
Yeah, I kinda figured that. That's why I put $26k OBO on the ads.

Carmax wanted to give us $21k! And that was with 300 miles on it.

So maybe $23k-$24K eh?

·
Registered
315 Posts
What kind of car do you drive? Trade prehaps ;) Sell your car and keep the speed6????....

$26 is a little high I'd say right now.....$24 is more realistic IMO

·
Registered
566 Posts
NO chance of getting $26k unless someone hasn't checked out the current rebates. At $25.5k new, a dealer would have to knock $1-2k off the price for the 800mi. As a private individual you'd be lucky to get away with $3k-say ask $23.5 and take $23...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yeah, I kinda figured that. That's why I put $26k OBO on the ads.

Carmax wanted to give us $21k! And that was with 300 miles on it.

So maybe $23k-$24K eh?
[/b]
Yeah, start there, I just think 25-26 is too much since you can drive one off the lot for that.

Like yomama said, anyway you can keep it for yourself? This is a great car!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you should keep it for yourself and sell your car.
[/b]
You kiddin'?

I LOVE my 91 Civic! Had a CRX but sold it. I'm an 88-91 Honda whore :nana:

All kiddin aside, I like the car but it's not me. She wanted a 4 door and loved the color. It was just a bad decision on both our parts so now we are just trying to cut our losses. Funny thing is she is eyeballing the Mazda MX5 and the Mazda 3 hehe

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
How long has it been? Maybe the dealer will take it back and exchange for the 3. Usually you get 3 days, no questions asked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How long has it been? Maybe the dealer will take it back and exchange for the 3. Usually you get 3 days, no questions asked.
[/b]
Bought it back in November.

We went back 2 days later and they wanted us to "swap" it for a Black Cherry model with white interior(or was it beige?) Anyway the car was UGLY. It was the only Mazda 6 they had on the lot. They had a Black GT model but it was sold the day before

they said it had to be the same car. Something about dealer cash and other promos tied up into the deal so there was no going back.

We went to other dealers just to see if they could work something out and they did offer options like "we can take your car and you can pick the Subaru WRX Limited Auto but your payment will be $750 a month"

We were like "No WAY!"

I'll update the autotrader ad to reflect the new $23,500 price tonight. In the meantime, if you guys know anyone wanting to buy it let me know. We are located in Houston, TX

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'm not positive on Texas law, but i'm pretty sure that they have to take back the car the next day if you didn't want it. If they refused to do so, I would contact your lawyer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know your wife but in this situation I might consider a different trade.
[/b]
You are funny :D

Wouldn't trade her for the world :) . If anything I was wrong for pressuring her into getting it and she was wrong for thinking she would be truly happy with it.

Thanks for the advice though

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
hmmmm... maybe keep the car and sell the wife?
[/b]
:laugh: That was random.....

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If she doesn't drive much, Lease her a 3 and keep the MS6. Combined, you might pay 750 a month.

·
Registered
426 Posts
crap, truthfully I'd love to buy it off you... but it's bad timing for me right now... I'm on a job 5000km away... and can't really take the time to fly down, drive back to my home (about 4000km I would guess), and fly back to my work again....

well, the next one that comes along in few months.... in white preferably :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bingo. Found several potential buyers today thanks to.....craigslist(of all places)? Thanks for the tips, guys. She'll probably end up getting either MX5 hard top or the Mazda 3 hatchback.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I feel as if I'm mourning your car. Don't let her go...you'll miss her too much!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well you never updated your location so I will just throw this out there...

Take it to a CarMax. They are appraising the MS6 really high. Go to carmax.com for locations.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts