Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone, :drive:

Please tell me what tires you would recommend for stock 17 wheels.

What I care about most is grip on wet pavement, and low noise on highways.

I noticed alotta people mention Toyo and Falken.

I do need all-season tires, I think.

Thank you all. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Kumho ASX, Falken 512, Toyo Proxes4

tirerack.com do some research, read reviews and test results. you'll feel better about your choice if you know you picked what was best for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bridgestone RE960 A/S PolePosition... I absolutely love these tires and they are amazing in the wet weather. And they are quieter than those stock HXMXM4 Michelins. Just get em you wont regret it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Avon Tech M550 A/S

I considered the Bridgestones listed above, but the price differential was too much (160 or 170/tire vs. 104/tire from Tire Rack). The Avons are more comfortable than the stock tires, grip and turn MUCH better than the stock tires did, and have really good hydroplaning resistance as well. My only complaint is that there is a touch more road noise with them (barely noticeable) but I'll gladly take that tradeoff for the performance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The G009 is a Bridgestone and its only a "H" rated tire so you WILL loose handling ability with this tire. Just an FYI :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
What I care about most is grip on wet pavement,

I do need all-season tires, I think.
[/b]
Inconsistent goals. Choose one of the two.

(To achieve some snow traction, an all-season tire basically makes a direct trade-off of wet traction. A snow tire must adhere to snow -- which under the pressure of the tire rolling over it is water at the margin. Therefore, by design, the tread of an all-season tire gets wet and stays wet. A three season -- usually called a "summer" -- tire is designed to stay as dry as possible so that the contact patch and the pavement have an intimate relationship, whereas an all-season tire will have a thin coating of water at the contact patch. You probably do not need snow traction in Atlanta, anyway.)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The G009 is a Bridgestone and its only a "H" rated tire so you WILL loose handling ability with this tire. Just an FYI :)
[/b]
The speed rating is not an indication of handling ability; it is an indication of the speed at which a new and unabused, properly inflated and loaded, tire is more or less guaranteed to blow up as a result of the temperature generated by internal friction. (With each revolution, the sidewall flexes between the flattened profile at the bottom of the tire and the taller profile at the top of the tire; that flexing generates internal friction in the sidewall and generates heat.) The speed rating is a more refined version of the UTQG Temperature grade that the DoT requires to be moulded into the tire's sidewall. It is possible that a given H-rated tire will handle better than another tire that is Z-rated, but it will not have as great resistance as the Z-rated tire to heat failure.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
H rating means 99mph. To me it seems that the G009 is a cheap Bridgestone tire made from scrap material of the good tires.

Who is making AVON tires? Is that Goodyear?

Bridgestone RE960 A/S PolePosition are too expensive. I don't want to pay more than $500 for the tires ( including installation).

As long as the tires have better wet traction than the stock tires (michelin), I will be happy.

Is it a good idea to get 215/55/17 to save money on highway driving (lower RPM)?

I read some reviews and it looks like people are generally happy with Toyo Proxes 4 & Falken Ziex 512.
Toyo Proxes 4: Load rating 95, speed rating W, traction AA, treadwear 300 (like stocks).
Falken Ziex 512: Load rating 91, and speed rating V, traction A, treadwear 360
Comparing these two, it seems Toyos are better in most areas. I just wonder which are quieter on highways.

·
Registered
634 Posts
H rating means 99mph. To me it seems that the G009 is a cheap Bridgestone tire made from scrap material of the good tires.

Who is making AVON tires? Is that Goodyear?[/b]
H rating is actually to 130 mph.

I believe the Avon car and light truck tires ("tyres" if you read the sidewall) that are sold in the states are made by Cooper and are Cooper's bid at breaking into the performance tire market. Avon is a long-standing English "tyre" company that was recently bought out by Cooper. They are much better known for motorcycle tires AFAIK. If you do some research on Tire Rack you will see that the Tech M550 is very well rated (2nd in UHPAS to the Bridgestone RE960).

·
Registered
44 Posts
The speed rating is not an indication of handling ability; it is an indication of the speed at which a new and unabused, properly inflated and loaded, tire is more or less guaranteed to blow up as a result of the temperature generated by internal friction. (With each revolution, the sidewall flexes between the flattened profile at the bottom of the tire and the taller profile at the top of the tire; that flexing generates internal friction in the sidewall and generates heat.) The speed rating is a more refined version of the UTQG Temperature grade that the DoT requires to be moulded into the tire's sidewall. It is possible that a given H-rated tire will handle better than another tire that is Z-rated, but it will not have as great resistance as the Z-rated tire to heat failure.
[/b]
I'll tell ya what it's nice to be able to talk to you though. You dont run across too many people that actually know about tires! Kudos

In a way you just contradicted yourself. An "H" rated tire will not out perform a "Z" rated tire. I have been in the tire business for 10 years and have been to Bridgestone's plant and been involved in the tire molding process, and the internal friction is a direct reflection to the speed rating, which is what you said. But you cant then say an "H" tire will perform as well. The Z is engineered to produce the least amount of sidewall flex in a turn or over bumps. It is also able to handle higher amounts of heat (friction) due to the rubber compounds used. Now and "H" wont be able to handle the force applied lets say in a Ferrari at 85mph that a "Z" rated would. By looking at it that way its hard to say it would perform as well or better.

Also UTQG is just a standard set by tire manufacturers that can give THEM a basis of competition in producing tires. a 420 A A H" UTQG is just simply saying it should under normal driving conditions get about 30,000 miles and handle tire temperature and tread flex at a safe level up to and no furthur the capabilities of your vehicle. Thats why a vehicle is actually engineered around your tires. It IS the first step in building a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
An "H" rated tire will not out perform a "Z" rated tire. [/b]
I'll give you a valuable piece of advice. Do not attempt to contradict posttosh. He is never wrong and will go to great, and exhaustive lengths to prove his point. Just giving you fair warning.

The speed rating is but one component of a tire's "performance." I think what posttosh was referring to was the earlier comment that an H-rated tire would result in a loss of handling performance. I'll give you a good example of why that's not true. Yokohama produces a DOT-approved racing tire called the A048. Among other sizes, it is offered in 205/60R15 91H.

Yokohama A048

Michelin offers a V-rated (higher than H, 149 vs. 130 mph), all-season tire called the Energy MXV4 Plus in the same size. The Yoko has racing compound and very stiff sidewalls for immediate turn in. The Michelin has softer sidewalls designed for ride comfort and an all-season compound for use in inclement weather. Which one do you think handles better? The one with the higher speed rating?

Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus

Regarding your intitial question regarding the Proxes4: wet traction is enhanced by the use of silica in the tread compound (which increases the coefficient of friction). I have them on my own car and they are reasonably quiet. Just make sure (as with all unidirectional tread patterns) that you rotate them frequently. The Proxes4 also offers a 500 mile trial offer, so you've really got nothing to lose. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
lol Ok maybe I better clarify somewhat. I see what you mean when taken literally. But an apples to apples comparison is what I was going for. But if looked at that way I do understand what he was saying. Thanks for the comparison though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I recently got some Toyo Proxes4 225/45/17's for my stock wheels, I think I got them from edgeracing.com Can't say enough good things about them :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Who is making AVON tires? Is that Goodyear?
[/b]
In the United States, the Avon trademark is licensed to Cooper.

Also UTQG is just a standard set by tire manufacturers that can give THEM a basis of competition in producing tires.
[/b]
UTQG is a standard set by the NTHSA (part of the United States Department of Transportation). The tire manufacturers perform the testing of their own tires using procedures established by governmental regulation.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I recently got some Toyo Proxes4 225/45/17's for my stock wheels, I think I got them from edgeracing.com Can't say enough good things about them :)
[/b]

the proxes were a little out of my price range so i ordered the falken 512's from edgeracing.com
$63 a tire for falkens not bad at all. they should be coming in tomorrow

·
Registered
676 Posts
215-50-17 on a budget

Kumho ASX
Sumitomo HTR+

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered proxes 4. I read some reviews online about the Falken and Toyo tires mentioned earlier, and while very few complain about the Toyos, I noticed that there is a significant percentage of people who complain about the sidewalls bulging on the Falken tires. Their load rating of 91 is less than the stock tires, and I feel it may be risky to get them because on my previous vehicle I did have cheap tires with poor sidewalls, and that is a scary experience.

Thank you all for your help. After I install the Toyos, I will write a short review here.

Now what do you think about the tire pressures on Mazda6 vehicles?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I ordered proxes 4. I read some reviews online about the Falken and Toyo tires mentioned earlier, and while very few complain about the Toyos, I noticed that there is a significant percentage of people who complain about the sidewalls bulging on the Falken tires. Their load rating of 91 is less than the stock tires, and I feel it may be risky to get them because on my previous vehicle I did have cheap tires with poor sidewalls, and that is a scary experience.

Thank you all for your help. After I install the Toyos, I will write a short review here.

Now what do you think about the tire pressures on Mazda6 vehicles?
[/b]
:thumbup: Excellent choice! If you're using the stock size, you can stick with the stock air pressure of 32. But I personally like a little more road feel, so I would probably put 35.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with Toyo Guy, I've been very happy with my Proxes 4 :)

I think I'm around 35 as well for my pressure for everyday driving, maybe a bit higher sometimes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts