Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to install my MagnaFlow cat-back exhaust next week.

I've read on various posts that one should disconnect the battery prior to the installation.

I'm having a hard time imaging what for. Changing a couple of mufflers without tampering with anything else just doesn't compute. No pun intended.

Does the engine sense a diffeence in back pressure or A/F ratio?

I suppose I'll have to reset all 36 presets (SAT 1, 2, 3/FM1,2/AM) on the radio too. :swearin:

Please chime in if... you know the real reasons.

John :cool:

·
Registered
788 Posts
the car's computer will be out of whack because the Magnaflow changes the amout of volume of exiting air flow. The idea of disconnecting the battery is for safety / insurance issues and also for re-setting the car's air flow tables...I would say "it is for real" and not just bs...

·
Registered
53 Posts
the car's computer will be out of whack because the Magnaflow changes the amout of volume of exiting air flow. The idea of disconnecting the battery is for safety / insurance issues and also for re-setting the car's air flow tables...I would say "it is for real" and not just bs...
[/b]
Word... :yesnod: By disconnecting the power source it commands the computer to recalibrate upon re ignition. Kinda like a re-boot for your computer. Besides, what could it hurt.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm not one to go against experience.

Disconnecting the battery will cause a loss of radio presets. Right?

Just want to make sure I write down all my settings if needed.

John :cool:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Simple solution to your problems...

Go to an auto parts store and get a memory saver. This is a little cigarette lighter adapter that has a 9-volt battery attached. The battery provides a trickle charge that is strong enough to keep all memory on your stereo, but will still provide the same desired effects for resetting the computer.

I paid $5 from Snap-on and use it every time I play with my car.

Kastar Memory Saver

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Trigger6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing