Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is driving me crazy. I have to baby it so much that it is no longer fun to drive. I have 30K on the car. The car will judder and howl if the rpms go about 1200 rpms. Took it to the dealer and they said it is very unlikely that they can cover the work under warranty. They are going to talk with the rep tomorrow and let me know. Basically I better get ready to fork out $1000+ dollars :swearin: I called a couple local shops. The mazda dealer said the labor is 6 hours and a local shop qouted me 10 hours. WTF. How can they be so different? Sorry for rambling. I am just not very happy! I think I am going to go with a clutchmasters clutch and just keep the stock flywheel. Will this be ok? Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Just don't go with SPEC...hopefully Mazda will be able to cover you, its not likely, but you never know. I would just go ahead and get the RPM lightweight flywheel while you are getting the work done anyways, good excuse for new mods.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
My clutch is driving me crazy. I have to baby it so much that it is no longer fun to drive. I have 30K on the car. The car will judder and howl if the rpms go about 1200 rpms. Took it to the dealer and they said it is very unlikely that they can cover the work under warranty. They are going to talk with the rep tomorrow and let me know. Basically I better get ready to fork out $1000+ dollars :swearin: I called a couple local shops. The mazda dealer said the labor is 6 hours and a local shop qouted me 10 hours. WTF. How can they be so different? Sorry for rambling. I am just not very happy! I think I am going to go with a clutchmasters clutch and just keep the stock flywheel. Will this be ok? Thanks for listening!
[/b]
I believe the standard job time for the clutch swap is 7.8 hours. Of course, people can charge whatever they want. The dealer has access to special equipment that helps them get it done quicker. Of course, they usually charge more per hour than other shops.

In any case, you should go with Clutch Masters or Exedy. You can still use the stock flywheel if you want, but you'll need to get it machined. However, I think you'll find that most people would recommend a lighter flywheel on this car. If you want to maintain driveability, I'd recommend the Exedy flywheel, which is 16.5 lbs. It will provide you with the benefits of a lighter flywheel without making the car more difficult to drive. If you're looking to spend as little money as possible, we will have one last RPM lightweight flywheel (15 lbs) available in the next few days and we'll be selling it at $199.95 since we're no longer officially offering them.

Hope this helps! If you have any furhter questions, please feel free to ask!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found out some great news. The mazda dealer talked to the rep and they are going to replace my clutch under warranty. yipee!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there any way you could tell me how you got them to cover your clutch? I've recently had the same problem but had to pay for it out of pocket.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Is there any way you could tell me how you got them to cover your clutch? I've recently had the same problem but had to pay for it out of pocket.
[/b]

Same question. Mine is starting to judder more and more, and im getting sick of babying it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[/b]
I had to pay for mine also. Normal wear and tear. Riiiiiiggggttttt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quick update....I did call Mazda USA to get them to review my case a while back. About two weeks ago actually. I still have not heard back from them and I'm having even more problems with the new clutch put in. It's already beginning to slip after less than 5K miles on it. Should be covered right? Wrong. I had it put in by an independent shop so the dealer says any problem with it is not theirs. I'm probably trading this weekend. I'm really beginning to hate the car. It's not even fun to drive anymore because I've got a freaking CEL on all the time. I look down at dash and it's right there glaring in my face, daring me to do something about it. I have to say, I've never gotten into a pissing match with an inanimate object before but we're almost at that point!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Damn I must have gotten one of the only 6's that came standard with the non failing clutch :) 30,000 miles and counting on mine so far, no slipping.

I know I will be eating my own words soon because of this post

·
Registered
459 Posts
I called mazdausa and complained when my clutch went out at 27,000 on my 03, told them they should at least meet me half way. they replaced it free of charge. I also gave my dealer a few good compliments while was at it. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I called mazdausa and complained when my clutch went out at 27,000 on my 03, told them they should at least meet me half way. they replaced it free of charge. I also gave my dealer a few good compliments while was at it. :)
[/b]
im at 25k and my car is undrivable because of the clutch and they keep tellin me its wear and tear but if it was caused by the pressure plate its covered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
drfrankenstein
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing