Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot take full credit for the idea of this, which started in a thread on the Something Awful Automotive Insanity boards. But nonetheless I thought some of you may appreciate viewing the progress I am having with it. After I draw all of the vectors I am going to cell shade it and make it look very very nice :)

Give me your opinions if you would like!

Original:

Start:

1st revision:

2nd revision:

I am nearing completion, I just need to do the wheels, some interior work maybe and the front grill, which I am NOT looking forward too!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
thats pretty cool was that hard to do?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surprisingly it isn't. I am using Illustrator to do it and have never used that program before, nor am I artistically designed in the LEAST!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Surprisingly it isn't. I am using Illustrator to do it and have never used that program before, nor am I artistically designed in the LEAST!
[/b]
Are you just using the pen(vector) tool to trace the original picture? Thats looking really cool, Illustrator is a fun program, you should try playing around with the gradient map tool, it might help with shading and all but it can be a bit difficult to pick up. I can't wait to see the final piece.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thats a great start! Adobe Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand are great tools for the illustration community. I'm constantly using Illustrator to make logos. Props on some very nice work, I'm sure the finished product will be worth your time.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I guess you decided to go with the Goodyear high-floatation multi-rib waggon tire for the front? j/k

Looks great. I have illustrator but I lack the time now that work is here. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very Nice

·
Registered
270 Posts
man that looks really nice. keep it up (^_^)-b

found one online before and thought it was pretty cool:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ok I'm asking the CS newb question...

So did you basically outline your entire car w/ illustrator or is there an effect called 'vector'?

Sorry but I had to ask... I haven't played with Illustrator too much...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I'm asking the CS newb question...

So did you basically outline your entire car w/ illustrator or is there an effect called 'vector'?

Sorry but I had to ask... I haven't played with Illustrator too much...
[/b]

No, I don't use any effects, I manually and painstakingly outlined the car inch by inch. Downside is that I have to go back and re-do (or just on another layer) the outline for the sections I want to color, I didn't make the quarter panel one set of vectors but the outline of the car, etc. I used the pen tool to create a bunch of 'connect the dots'

Take a peak:

·
Registered
947 Posts
No, I don't use any effects, I manually and painstakingly outlined the car inch by inch. Downside is that I have to go back and re-do (or just on another layer) the outline for the sections I want to color, I didn't make the quarter panel one set of vectors but the outline of the car, etc. I used the pen tool to create a bunch of 'connect the dots'

Take a peak:

[/b]
Ok cool... That is what I expected but I wasn't sure... painstaking is an understatement!

Very nice though...

·
Registered
274 Posts
It looks good TraderStav, I have one bit of info you may like to know.

I can see your just clicking inch by inch, but if you want to make one smooth line, click and hold, then drag in the direction you want the line to go, then click again, and you will get two "arms" coming from the point, now you can move those arms at any time to bend the line into almost any curve you want, and if it's not enough, you can add more points. Hope that helps. It should make a lot of it easier and save you mucho time, although I can see you've got a lot done.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I need to make my Blackmagik Productions logo into a vector image but don't have illustrator, etc. Anyone wanna do it for me :D I'm getting it made into a windshield vinyl!
[/b]

I'll give it a shot if you want.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks good TraderStav, I have one bit of info you may like to know.

I can see your just clicking inch by inch, but if you want to make one smooth line, click and hold, then drag in the direction you want the line to go, then click again, and you will get two "arms" coming from the point, now you can move those arms at any time to bend the line into almost any curve you want, and if it's not enough, you can add more points. Hope that helps. It should make a lot of it easier and save you mucho time, although I can see you've got a lot done.
[/b]
I noticed something was working like that but I didn't know I could manipulate it after the fact too. I'll have to give that a shot on the next project, i'm done with this one!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I had an illustrator class at the art institute of washington. Our final was a triptic and part of it had to be the portrait of someone famous. I did Brandon Lee. It came out pretty well for a novice(got an A in the class,) but doing a face was hard as nuts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I noticed something was working like that but I didn't know I could manipulate it after the fact too. I'll have to give that a shot on the next project, i'm done with this one!
[/b]
Cool, yeah I know my tip came a bit late, but just trying to help you out a little. It'll make it easier for you in the long run. I would say just open a new document, and play around with it, you'll figure it out. Good work on the car outline though, looks cool.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts