Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know about the ones on Amazon but I bought mine on eBay and it works perfectly. From what I understand you just have to make sure the card is new because it won't work if used in another car for a certain number of miles. There was no way I was paying dealer price and it worked out well for me, but I know you have to be careful.

What year is your 6? Do you have a link or a part # for the SD card you bought?

·
Registered
104 Posts
What year is your 6? Do you have a link or a part # for the SD card you bought?
It's 17' GT. The listing is gone but the part number was the same as the missing one, I just had an empty envelope (bought my car slightly used, GT was supposed to have a card and 2nd key but mine had neither). I bought it 8 months or so ago.

I agree with others who state it's a crappy system. I usually end up using my phone instead, it is much better. I'd say the money would be better spent on a Garmin or other system even though it's annoying the it's separate. I'm glad mine was pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Over all the the Mazda maps do kinda suck and IMO AA/Carplay is nigh superior if it is an option for you ($150 if you install it yourself, above what you're paying for the aftermarket SD cards anyway). The one feature though that I really wish Google maps implemented that is really nice on the 2016+ Mazda nav is how it shows the next upcoming street name at all times in the HUD region. Not useful all the time but definitely really handy when signs aren't clear or are obfuscated and you're going somewhere new in an area that you're otherwise familiar with.

If you're stuck with the TomTom unit, I hate to say it but its kinda garbage and your SOL with that thing. I pushed my budget a bit to make sure I got at least a 2016 so I would at least make the cutoff for AA/Carplay support and then I'd know would at least get infotainment updates that way in a sense. Mazda has even continued to update the MZD-Connect firmware itself to my surprise.

To me it feels like 2014/2015 owners essentially got shafted in terms of infotainment. RIP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2016 Mazda 6 sport. It does not come with navigation but there is an SD car slot. Dealer wants $399 or $499 (installed) for it. On Amazon these are being sold for $280.

Any advice or suggestions on how I might bgo about getting an SD card and getting it installed for less?

I have not been on the forum and not explored it. I am sure it has been discussed before. I apologize.

I did not but it with navigation either. I did however buy a chip online via Amazon for $130.00 and have had zero problems with it. Ton install it,

• Turn off your car
  • Open SD flap and insert SD card. As stated in another comment, do not force it, it only goes in one way
  • Turn on car
That is literally all it is and they want to charge you hundreds. Absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know about the ones on Amazon but I bought mine on eBay and it works perfectly. From what I understand you just have to make sure the card is new because it won't work if used in another car for a certain number of miles. There was no way I was paying dealer price and it worked out well for me, but I know you have to be careful.
I did get mine on Amazon and it worked quite well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In Ebay the latest SD card is available for 50$. Anyone in here bought it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought a latest rev SD card (BHP166EZ1K) on e-bay ($50.00). I should receive it today and will let you know the results. My car is a 2019 Mazda 6 GT.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update 1-7-2020: I received my Nav SD card (BHP166EZ1K) and installed it. No problems at all, installed in one minute or less to load. Everything looks good, now to lean how to use it. First take it does look like it has more features then my Garmin Nuvi 40.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Update 1-7-2020: I received my Nav SD card (BHP166EZ1K) and installed it. No problems at all, installed in one minute or less to load. Everything looks good, now to lean how to use it. First take it does look like it has more features then my Garmin Nuvi 40.
How do you feed destination details to the navigator?

Is voice input available?

·
Registered
21 Posts
How do you feed destination details to the navigator?

Is voice input available?
I am in the learning stages with this Nav system. It has input screens for data and I am just looking into the voice inputs. It is too early for me to tell you how it operates, maybe someone else can info us now.

Attachments

·
Registered
'16 M6, 2.5L, ATX
57 Posts
Hey,

Do you know if I can replace the original SD card in my car with a new one? I know every card is tied to the VIN after first usage, but if I buy a new 3rd party card, will it work?

Edit: mycurrent card's number is BJM766EZ1E

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why not try updating om the Mazda Toolbox first before buying a new one. The latest SD card is BHP166EZ1K

·
Registered
'16 M6, 2.5L, ATX
57 Posts
Why not try updating om the Mazda Toolbox first before buying a new one. The latest SD card is BHP166EZ1K
Updating via the Toolbox costs 115 USD, while purchasing a new one from webshop is around 60. I prefer Waze over offline navigation, so if I can replace it for a good price, I'll do it, otherwise stick to AA.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've read on another forum that buying a new sdcard won't get you another 3 years of free updates. Supposedly the 3 years license is bound to the VIN number and not the sdcard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'16 M6, 2.5L, ATX
57 Posts
I've read on another forum that buying a new sdcard won't get you another 3 years of free updates. Supposedly the 3 years license is bound to the VIN number and not the sdcard.

Thanks, but my question is, if I buy a new card, will it work in the car? Like a one time update, I don't need the "free" updates for the next 3 years.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks, but my question is, if I buy a new card, will it work in the car? Like a one time update, I don't need the "free" updates for the next 3 years.
My understanding is that the card will work and be locked to your car after around 100km. I just don't know if you'll be able to update the new sdcard once your initial 3 years is gone.

·
Registered
'16 M6, 2.5L, ATX
57 Posts
My understanding is that the card will work and be locked to your car after around 100km. I just don't know if you'll be able to update the new sdcard once your initial 3 years is gone.

That's fine, thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed my SD card and registered it through Mazda Connect. I then backed it up before doing anything else. An upgrade is available for a one of payment is £100 or 3 years for £160. So I backed it up to my PC and left. Upgrades are available but they aren't free after three years but it said I had a 60 free trial which I don't know how to activate.

I thought I was being smart by flipping the little lock toggle on the SD card before I reinserted in and when I started the car it showed that my car wasn't equipped with sat nav. After a small heart attack! I remembered flipping the little lock toggle on the card and so I removed the card again and reversed it back to open. Hey presto it popped up with navigation again. Just in case anyone else does the same thing :)

21 - 40 of 65 Posts