Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? Mazda found it important to provide us with a NON-touchscreen setup... and a magical REMOTE... that only works if the vehicle is stopped... making the remote nearly useless...

SO... has anyone found a fix or work-around to the Navi lock when vehicle is in motion? There are 10000's of threads on the Navi and i've not located any with a FIX for this yet.

:EDIT:

For those who are retarded and responded with "its not a bug"... That is YOUR personal opinion... Many others believe that in fact it is a "bug" and was an un-finished feature of the system... either way... we don't care... this thread is about how we can bypass it... NOT about how you feel you are personally unable to drive a vehicle properly... I suggest you contact the local DMV and request a license suspension to save the rest of us from you.

I responded several posts down about WHY "I" feel the system is broken... and should be fixed... because this thread is about... FIXING or changing the system... not keeping it the same...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? Mazda found it important to provide us with a NON-touchscreen setup... and a magical REMOTE... that only works if the vehicle is stopped... making the remote nearly useless...

SO... has anyone found a fix or work-around to the Navi lock when vehicle is in motion? There are 10000's of threads on the Navi and i've not located any with a FIX for this yet.
[/b]
the lockout is not a "bug" that's supposed to be "fixed", it's done due to LP issues and it is the law. consider it as safety feature, much like the seatbelt beep.

if you need to enter a destination just make a quick stop, no need to risk your life entering letters while you're driving.

·
Registered
826 Posts
+1.

honestly, if they have to put in buzzers for people who left their turn signal on for over a mile, how coordinated do you think people would be driving and entering locations?

Its for your and their safety along with everyone elses.

·
Registered
595 Posts
some of you guys sound like a bunch of nannys....I agree with the original poster. Many OEM's allow the full use of the NAV while driving, as well as most of the aftermarket NAV setups. Plus, with our setup, anyone in the car could be the one programming the NAV - not just the driver who should be paying attention to the road.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
You can have a passenger enter data into the navi, you know. It's not always dangerous using a navi system while driving. I wish the public didn't have to be protected from themselves all the time.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
some of you guys sound like a bunch of nannys....I agree with the original poster. Many OEM's allow the full use of the NAV while driving, as well as most of the aftermarket NAV setups. Plus, with our setup, anyone in the car could be the one programming the NAV - not just the driver who should be paying attention to the road.
[/b]
i beg you, please name one OEM nav that doesn't have lockout. in the usa. just one.
and not talking about map scrolling. i mean destination entering.

also, how will the system determine whether if it's the driver or the passenger entering the destination? mazda or any other oem for that matter will not take the chance of tarnishing its name for breaking the law, and causing LP issues by killing someone.

if you wanna mess around with the nav while you're driving there are ways. you'll have to bypass the speed pulse and other hardwired security measures. or just get a tom-tom, or a garmin, or whatever. and wrap your car around a tree while entering the address of your grandma's house.

peace.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, how will the system determine whether if it's the driver or the passenger entering the destination? mazda or any other oem for that matter will not take the chance of tarnishing its name for breaking the law, and causing LP issues by killing someone.[/b]
How can the government determine whether 21+ drinks beer .. or 18+ smokes cigs? They can't... they try to help LIMIT it by forcing rules as to who can buy the stuff...

The same goes for Navi... they require the Passenger Air Bag to be enabled (the seat detects if someone is sitting in it)... If someone is.. it enabled the airbag.. and disables the motion lock Navigation...

As for name one.. My friends TL has no lock at all buts its a bit older... and i'm pretty sure the newer ones function like I said... if it detects someone else in the car... it unlocks...

Sadly the system was designed for idiots like the people who responded to this who are unabled to modify the navi while driving... Yet you talk on your cell phones... watch the aftermarket DVD screens you install... and rock your cars back and forth with the super cool airbag suspension!!!

A quick lesson for the fucking retarded who actually have navigation in their speed6... for those that don't please ignore this as you hvae no clue wtf you are talking about...

The Lesson: Speed6 Navigation system uses a remote control rather than touch screen... This remote can be docked near the shifter... or detached to use as a remote... HOWEVER... it must be facing the navigation screen remote detection hardware in order to work.. which means you have to hold the remote up high.... Now with BRAND NEW batteries it might have slightly better range... however for the most part it doesn't work unless you hold it up and face it towards the screen... That being said its easier for the driver to use it docked...

So why have it remote? So other people in the vehicle... possibly in the back seat can use the system while the driver pays attention to the road...

SOOOO... we learned how the navi works... and how mazda forgot to finish setting it up before releasing the vehicle... I'm sorry to sound like an ass to those posters who are "against" what this thread was about.. however we don't give a shit what they have to say... WE are asking about how to bypass what WE feel is a flaw in the system.. If you feel it is not.. please create another post and tell people who care why the navigation is so cool for you...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
How can the government determine whether 21+ drinks beer .. or 18+ smokes cigs? They can't... they try to help LIMIT it by forcing rules as to who can buy the stuff...

The same goes for Navi... they require the Passenger Air Bag to be enabled (the seat detects if someone is sitting in it)... If someone is.. it enabled the airbag.. and disables the motion lock Navigation...

As for name one.. My friends TL has no lock at all buts its a bit older... and i'm pretty sure the newer ones function like I said... if it detects someone else in the car... it unlocks...

Sadly the system was designed for idiots like the people who responded to this who are unabled to modify the navi while driving... Yet you talk on your cell phones... watch the aftermarket DVD screens you install... and rock your cars back and forth with the super cool airbag suspension!!!

A quick lesson for the fucking retarded who actually have navigation in their speed6... for those that don't please ignore this as you hvae no clue wtf you are talking about...

The Lesson: Speed6 Navigation system uses a remote control rather than touch screen... This remote can be docked near the shifter... or detached to use as a remote... HOWEVER... it must be facing the navigation screen remote detection hardware in order to work.. which means you have to hold the remote up high.... Now with BRAND NEW batteries it might have slightly better range... however for the most part it doesn't work unless you hold it up and face it towards the screen... That being said its easier for the driver to use it docked...

So why have it remote? So other people in the vehicle... possibly in the back seat can use the system while the driver pays attention to the road...

SOOOO... we learned how the navi works... and how mazda forgot to finish setting it up before releasing the vehicle... I'm sorry to sound like an ass to those posters who are "against" what this thread was about.. however we don't give a shit what they have to say... WE are asking about how to bypass what WE feel is a flaw in the system.. If you feel it is not.. please create another post and tell people who care why the navigation is so cool for you...
[/b]
not sure what the amount of drinks or cigars has anything to do with this discussion..
some people on this forum like to go off on a tangent without ever making a point.. but that's okay. :laugh:

as far as i know, passenger-side seat detecting someone sitting does not unlock the lock feature.. we have an acura tl with an 06 alpine nav on the lot at work for validation and benchmarking.. and i'm certain passenger detection does not unlock full usage of nav while in motion.. none of our navs made under GM specs do that either.

no need to explain how the controls work, those of us who have nav already know. :huh:

to me the obvious design flaw is that the joystick controller is detachable.. this leads idiots like you to think that it's for passengers to control it while the car's in motion.. it is.. but not to the extent of entering the destination.. the lockout still allows the user to access POI menus.. and scroll on the map..

finally, if you're so smart why don't you post a "how-to" on over-riding the system.. so the user has full control of the nav while in motion.. hmm?
i'm sure one of the techs at my office can figure it out.. but i'll let you solve this mystery first..

·
Registered
59 Posts
.... .... ...
For those who are retarded and responded with "its not a bug"... That is YOUR personal opinion... Many others believe that in fact it is a "bug" and was an un-finished feature of the system... either way... we don't care... this thread is about how we can bypass it... NOT about how you feel you are personally unable to drive a vehicle properly... I suggest you contact the local DMV and request a license suspension to save the rest of us from you.

I responded several posts down about WHY "I" feel the system is broken... and should be fixed... because this thread is about... FIXING or changing the system... not keeping it the same...
[/b]
I can't stand aggressive posters, especially those who beg for an opinion!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
i'm sure one of the techs at my office can figure it out.. but i'll let you solve this mystery first..
[/b]
Nope, not so fast..

IIRC, most of these items in cars nowadays are using the CAN bus. Unless you have a CAN analyzer or something similiar, you would still have to figure out what serial word is being used to activate it, what address the NAV uses to enable/disable, etc..

The manufacturers (some I have worked for on similiar project btw) work hard to make sure you kids can't do that so easily. ;)

Some of these lockouts are wwaaaayyyy over-engineered. Some of these items aren't just a toggle on/off either! The on/off status needs to be periodically checked and verified.

Yeah, it sucks, believe me. :)

So, unless one of you techs is immensely overqualified ie a electrical engineer, computer engineer etc, you aren't going to get very far with that plan.

·
Registered
489 Posts
i beg you, please name one OEM nav that doesn't have lockout. in the usa. just one.[/b]
2006 Acura TSX with Nav allows address input while in motion. I used to own an '04 TSX without Nav. I drove it as a loaner when my car was in for service last year, prior to purchasing the MS6.

·
Registered
851 Posts
he asked a simple question can you unlock the motion lock. no need to get into a debate about it.

how many people talk on their cell phone while driving? I think %99 of people who do that can't chew gum and walk at the same time, but we let them do it any way.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i have been trying to figure out the same things. my 2004 OEM mazda3 would let me do whatever i wanted while driving.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Nope, not so fast..

IIRC, most of these items in cars nowadays are using the CAN bus. Unless you have a CAN analyzer or something similiar, you would still have to figure out what serial word is being used to activate it, what address the NAV uses to enable/disable, etc..

The manufacturers (some I have worked for on similiar project btw) work hard to make sure you kids can't do that so easily. ;)

Some of these lockouts are wwaaaayyyy over-engineered. Some of these items aren't just a toggle on/off either! The on/off status needs to be periodically checked and verified.

Yeah, it sucks, believe me. :)

So, unless one of you techs is immensely overqualified ie a electrical engineer, computer engineer etc, you aren't going to get very far with that plan.
[/b]
i work at a tier-1 supplier that designs and manufactures navigation systems. does that answer your question? ;)

the difficult part will be to find one (tech, engineer) that has time. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
i beg you, please name one OEM nav that doesn't have lockout. in the usa. just one.
and not talking about map scrolling. i mean destination entering.

also, how will the system determine whether if it's the driver or the passenger entering the destination? mazda or any other oem for that matter will not take the chance of tarnishing its name for breaking the law, and causing LP issues by killing someone.

if you wanna mess around with the nav while you're driving there are ways. you'll have to bypass the speed pulse and other hardwired security measures. or just get a tom-tom, or a garmin, or whatever. and wrap your car around a tree while entering the address of your grandma's house.

peace.
[/b]
i'll name one. My friend's 05 M3 competition package. *cough* "peace"

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LoL... I'm sorry my "aggressive" post was not good for you... HOWEVER it was not aggressive till Ryobob and a few others responded telling me why it locks... which I honestly already know.. and do not care to talk about... I want to know HOW to bypass it... or get some people started on a way to bypass it...

I mentioned Drinks and Cigarettes because both of those items are “controlled” by the government… yet both of those kill people all the time… Navi is now “controlled” by the government and is required to be locked while in motion… To be safe…

Beer and Cigs are controlled and a minimum age is required to use / buy them… To be Safe… To be safe…

So, my point was… while they try to control something like alcohol to keep people safe… Minors… young kids and people under the age of 21 still drink it all the time…

Locked Navi might be safe and legal… does not mean that I personally want mine to work safe and legal… 150 MPH is not safe and legal.. but I don’t want my car to be limited to 70mph which is just about the fastest LIMIT in the states… I drive fast when I feel it is safe… I use my navi when I feel it is safe…

Also.. WHAT THE HELL is the purpose of the remote… if it is not for use by other occupants.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts