Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just got a 2014 mazda6 GT and finally figure out how to disable the safety lock on the navi so u can use the keyboard while driving. This is for a 2014 mazda6 GT. Other model may be different. Remove radio head unit. Look for vio/red (violet with red stripe) wire. It will be on the largest connector near the middle of the connector. ***important only cut the wire DO NOT GROUND. Tape both end of wire so it doesn't short out. To verified it's the right wire is to unplug radio and measure DC voltage on Vio/red wire. It'll read battery volts when car is not moving and lower voltage when car is moving. If using labscope it will be square waveform when moving. So far I haven't notice any cons in doing this.

·
Super Moderator
18,254 Posts
Any pictures of the process, or how you figured out that this wire is what trips the "car in motion" signal?

I would think that this is all through the headunit itself, since it knows your travel speed and would have no use in reading the speed from your engine. Speed being what trips the lock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20 years automotive technician. I used a wiring diagram and labscope to figure it out. Your mph on lower left corner of navi screen will still work with the wire cut. You can google mazda cx5 radio removal video to remove the radio. Sorry no pic just finish the job early.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
20 years automotive technician. I used a wiring diagram and labscope to figure it out. Your mph on lower left corner of navi screen will still work with the wire cut. You can google mazda cx5 radio removal video to remove the radio. Sorry no pic just finish the job early.

·
Super Moderator
18,254 Posts
Well let us know if it causes any problems that you haven't noticed yet. That's a heck of a find if it works for all models :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
only con I'm having now is to redo all my radio stations and setting. I'll let u know how it goes in a few days

·
Registered
127 Posts
The speed displayed on the navi is independently calculated by the gps itself. It knows where you are one second, and knows where you are the next second. Then it's just speed=distance/time from there.

·
Super Moderator
18,254 Posts
The speed displayed on the navi is independently calculated by the gps itself. It knows where you are one second, and knows where you are the next second. Then it's just speed=distance/time from there.
Right, this is how I understand it too, and where my skepticism comes in. I feel that it would be very redundant to require input from the car to judge whether or not to turn the safety lock on, since the gps already knows the speed of the vehicle.

That being said, perhaps they purposely made it redundant in the event that the GPS cannot calculate the speed, and for safety reasons, they added the secondary (or in this case primary) means of data gathering.

Regardless, it's a huge flaw in their system that (hopefully) we can take advantage of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It been 24hrs since I cut the wire. 2 problem I notice. 1 is when I'm at a stop and not moving my mph on navi sometimes it would read 1 to 2 mph and I'm not in motion. 2 is again when I'm not in motion the car is pointing north then it'll point south and back to north. Both problem is when car is at a stop. Just brought the car last week and not sure this problem was there or not. Any you guys have this problem?

·
Super Moderator
18,254 Posts
It been 24hrs since I cut the wire. 2 problem I notice. 1 is when I'm at a stop and not moving my mph on navi sometimes it would read 1 to 2 mph and I'm not in motion. 2 is again when I'm not in motion the car is pointing north then it'll point south and back to north. Both problem is when car is at a stop. Just brought the car last week and not sure this problem was there or not. Any you guys have this problem?
I've never seen the fluctuation in speed but the random disorientation of the GPS' pointing direction is (unfortunately) part of the reason we dislike this system so greatly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I can live with those problems. At lease now I can enter address while driving cause that stupid voice command does not understand my broken English

·
Registered
498 Posts
This might be a project of mine real soon. And if it trips something bad down the road, i can always reconnect it

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thabks for the tip

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not all the cars have GPS but the safety lock still effects Bluetooth so they need a separate Input from speed sensor.

Thanks for the info I went thru all the one wire diagrams and did not find the speed sensor Input and stoped there be I g to lazy to monitor each wire until I found the one thank you for the help i almost feel guilty that i didn't do it now

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anyone try this on a 2015? I don't have the balls to do this maybe they changed the colors of the wires xD

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you have audio system with ASL (Automatic Sound Level), or Bose Audio Pilot, the volume may not increase as you gain speed...
Did you check to see if that still works??

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you have audio system with ASL (Automatic Sound Level), or Bose Audio Pilot, the volume may not increase as you gain speed...
Did you check to see if that still works??
interesting question, you are probably completely right.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I performed the navi lobotomy today on my 14 Touring, and I can confirm it is the violet wire with red stripe. I wired in a switch located in my glove box, so I can keep it hooked up for normal driving, but if I want to have a passenger enter an address or do it myself while not in heavy traffic, all I have to do is click the switch quick and I'm in business. It also allows me to see text messages on the display while moving, which is not necessary but kind of nice when it is safe.

This is a pretty simple mod if you have a 14 with Navi.

As an aside, I think it is atrocious user interface design to have menus that change based on whether the car is moving or not. It is confusing to the operator and makes it much harder to find things than if things are simply grayed out and disabled. It took me months to figure out how to save favorites because you can only do it when the car is not moving and the button disappears when you start moving! I think I finally had to look it up in the manual.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The "drift" problem in the Navigation may be fixed by updating the Nav SD Card. If you open the SD Card Door while the system is on, it will cause the problem. Simply update the SD Card in your PC, then install it exactly as the instructions say and you should be good. Fixed my problem!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
After many years of enjoying my 6 and not needing the nav, lately running children to endless activities has generated frustration with the safety lock since they usually ask for the address on the go or the destination changes. It therefore has been disabled but instead of cutting the wire I removed the complete socket from the connecter. After disconnecting the connector from the head unit gently pry up the lockbar (it does not come out) that is in the bottom center of the connecter and gently pull on the wire to remove the socket. Push the lockbar back in and reconnect head unit. If someone ever wants the safety lock re-enabled (like when it goes to the children) it can be done in 15 min

1 - 20 of 21 Posts