Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a very left over 2017 GT this past fall. My car is sitting outside the garage until I relocate a motorcycle. Beginning with the colder weather this winter, I noticed that on mornings at 25 F or so the radio will work fine, but the nav system will not load. It actually reboots, sometimes - like when it's really cold, it reboots several times. Then in the afternoon it will start like normal, or after showing the spinning spikes for a minute or less. On a different post, a guy with a 2016 mentioned the same problem and thought that this happens when the SDS card is cold, and the behavior stops after it is warmed. I have tried removing the card to warm it but that doesn't seem to help. Of course the card probably gets cold again very quickly after it is replaced into the slot. This behavior doesn't change whether I have my phone linked or not.

Has anybody else seen this? Any fixes?

I mentioned it to the dealer but they didn't seem to believe me. They want to believe that it's a phone issue :rolleyes:. I wanted to check here before I make them look at it on a frigid morning.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
17,079 Posts
Weird, this sounds like the good 'ol Xbox Red Ring of Death syndrome - where the Xbox 360 had a few solder points on it's board that, over time, would crack and give out, causing it to reboot forever or display the red rings and go nowhere. The systems would only run if very warm because it would temporarily reconnect the joint when the compound heated up enough to become malleable.

Not saying this is the same thing, but it sounds very similar haha.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I rarely use the mazda navigation on my 2018, but I'll do some testing for you. It's currently -2F and was -13F this morning. So it should be cold enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@dcoulombe Thank you! Everything is solid-state so it really should not have temperature issues. So, when the sales guy contacted me this week on a follow up and I told him that the nav system is still rebooting until the car warms up, any day when it's 25F or below. He asked me to bring it in so they can reflash the entertainment system. I didn't do that yet. These are the same guys who screwed up the recall on the parking brake on my '15 touring. So, first I'm going to try the system update, with maps update that I saw on the Mazda website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts