Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This past week the battery in my 2009 s GT finally died, after a long and terrible day during which I had to get the car jump started twice I ended up getting the replacement battery and swapped it in with some assistance from a helpful OReilly employee.

As I recall, nothing with the electronics was amiss after each of the two jump starts. After the battery replacement, on turning on the car instead of the stock in-dash system starting right up as usual it was blacked out for some time and then came on with this error message:
"A program cannot be read. Please consult to a dealer"

None of the faceplate buttons work except power/volume, audio/tune dials and the Load/Eject which kicks out the Nav DVD. The stereo still works and is controllable via the steering wheel buttons. The screen never changes from this error message, even when starting up without the Nav DVD inserted.

I did take the car to the dealership over the weekend, they looked and said they couldn't get it working and don't have any replacement parts around to troubleshoot since the unit is so old.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Am I best off to just get a new nav system?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ive been driving the past year without the nav and its very annoying. everything works tho bluetooth, radio etc. just that same damn message on the screen. took it to Mazda they said they have no idea, they can only sell me a new unit at almost 2000$. im still searching forums for a solution!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ive been driving the past year without the nav and its very annoying. everything works tho bluetooth, radio etc. just that same damn message on the screen. took it to Mazda they said they have no idea, they can only sell me a new unit at almost 2000$. im still searching forums for a solution!
Good news is, I solved my nav problem. The previous owner had an updated dvd nav disc in the unit, not the original Mazda disc. After many hours of searching, I found one post that said the problem was fixed by inserting a different disc they got off eBay. In my case, the battery was disconnected for two weeks; my thoughts were something in memory must have been erased and possibly the original Mazda discs contained some operating system files. Long story short, I threw a hail mary and bought used original Mazda disc set off eBay for $40 and it brought my unit back to life. Of course, the set I bought was the 2009 version, but I didn't care, it brought back all the functuonality and I use my phone's nav anyway.

When I bought, I looked for eBay items that had the Make Offer option. My set was selling for over $100. I made the $40 offer and was accepted.

Bad news, my engine blew over the weekend. Now I've got a very nice looking 6s GT sitting in my garage trying to figure out what to do with it.

Good luck. I hope my experience helps you.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
If all else fails, there are two nav units selling on eBay. One for $249US and the other for $349US. A lot cheaper than $2,000 that dealer wants.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When you inserted the DVD were there any clicking noise and then the unit spits the disc back out? Cause thats what mines does. I'll try the Ebay route for a different disc, hopefully thats all it is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When you inserted the DVD were there any clicking noise and then the unit spits the disc back out? Cause thats what mines does. I'll try the Ebay route for a different disc, hopefully thats all it is.
I must have missed the spitting out disc part. The load/eject button worked fine on mine and disc stayed in when I loaded. The unit just wouldn't go past the black screen with message.

If you go eBay route for different disc, make low offers. Maybe someone will take a $30 offer or less, if you go for a disc a few years old since it's a shot in the dark at this point to try something to get the unit going again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good news is, I solved my nav problem. The previous owner had an updated dvd nav disc in the unit, not the original Mazda disc. After many hours of searching, I found one post that said the problem was fixed by inserting a different disc they got off eBay. In my case, the battery was disconnected for two weeks; my thoughts were something in memory must have been erased and possibly the original Mazda discs contained some operating system files. Long story short, I threw a hail mary and bought used original Mazda disc set off eBay for $40 and it brought my unit back to life. Of course, the set I bought was the 2009 version, but I didn't care, it brought back all the functuonality and I use my phone's nav anyway.

When I bought, I looked for eBay items that had the Make Offer option. My set was selling for over $100. I made the $40 offer and was accepted.

Bad news, my engine blew over the weekend. Now I've got a very nice looking 6s GT sitting in my garage trying to figure out what to do with it.

Good luck. I hope my experience helps you.

Thank you so much for the above post. My Sat Nav system and reverse camera on CX9 are not working after the battery replacement. It keeping come out error message “A program can not be read. Please consult to a dealer”. I ejected my updated map DVD that I bought from online shop TomTom and put the original Mazda DVD, then everything working again! I replaced it with update DVD, it still working. That means the updated version of third party DVD map didn’t have system files on the original Mazda DVD which requires to start up the Sat Nav system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts