Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any information out there for increasing the bore and stroke of your 2.3 .... i like the idea of a turbo but i would much rather prefer staying NA .... any information would be greatly appreciated

sicks

·
Registered
788 Posts
is there any information out there for increasing the bore and stroke of your 2.3 .... i like the idea of a turbo but i would much rather prefer staying NA .... any information would be greatly appreciated

sicks
[/b]
'sounds to be too much effort - you can gain 60+ HP simply by avoiding the 4 and going with the 6S...it's a no brainer...

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Not much that can be done for our 6's.

Just pistons/rods, port/polish, headers, pulley? Besides that custom work is all I can think of. I myself am not too educated in that field. Of course the CP-E MAFci and an cat-back that actually increases performance.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
there are 2 companies doing what your talking about already. gotta check out Mazda3forums or FocalJet for one of the guys, i think i posted the info a few months back though. the one for sure is Marcy Motorsports sell a fully build block taken out to 2.5 (the other guy has gone to 2.6). and depending on what you want in it the price varies.

i can assure you, that going with turbo and internals will be cheaper as well as produce much more power than anything the NA route will do. you can do the turbo and internals (if you install yourself as i hope your compitant if you and to stroke the engine) for just a hair over 5k. good for say 350-400hp?

just for the build block from marcy with full goodies is like 2800-3k plus freight. then you have you have to buy a FMU (700-1500) cause that's the only way to tune so far. and then you would be dumb not to do something about the cams/valvetrain as you are still breathing like stock on a bigger bottom end, so that's another 1k+ or so. all this for about 250ish give or take?

i think it's a great route, i was gonna turbo Marcy's bottom end, but he gets testy with mazda guys still so my $$ went to another builder. i just like turbo i guess. best bang for your buck (outsid eof NOS i guess)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think a high-powered turbo is a little excessive for a FWD vehicle. Of course, everyone has different opinions.

A NA build is possible - we can use Focus parts to bore/stroke the bottom end. High compression pistons are available, and Crower is soon to release cams for the Mazda top end. Combine that with a decent intake/header/exhaust combo, water/meth injection, and (of course!) good tuning, and I think you'll wind up with a very fun car.

(Edit - I forgot to mention machine work too! Porting and polising the heads, plus port-matching the manifolds)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
'sounds to be too much effort - you can gain 60+ HP simply by avoiding the 4 and going with the 6S...it's a no brainer...
[/b]
yeah 60+HP and a crap load of weight...i say try it out

·
Registered
128 Posts
If sum1 had the $$$ can our engines handle being bored out and such for N/A power then add a turbo on it. :D :drive: ( In other words a Tim Taylor 6 :D )

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
that was my plan at first was to buy Marcy's 2.5 build block and turbo it. i had no plans on going NA first as that would mean different pistons...but same idea. he just doesn't like dealing with the Mazda community any more, and i didn't wanna be the first to do it unless i got an assurance from him things would be hunky dory.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
You can respect a NA Built 2.3 6 alittle more than a turbo....

Not saying that putting a turbo on it gets none.....Tea you did well with your 6

·
Registered
75 Posts
You wouldn't want to add much stroke to the 2.3. It has a fairly long stroke as is, and unless you want to have a limit of 6K or something like that...

As far as respect, I respect any car that can go fast. Building a good turbo car might be a bit easier than building the same power car NA, but it is still a pretty big deal to add FI on an NA car.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
i have no more respect for a fast NA or a fast FI. both cost a lot of money, i just don't know why you'd wanna stick with less HP for the same cost? the fully build drag Mazda3 from Golden Eagle is i believe 400hp and is a race engine getting rebuild every raceday. that's all good and whatnot, but their Mazda6 pushes 1200hp and gets rebuild every raceday.

looking at my garage, i've spent way too much money on this car. i'd like to thank from now on i'm getting the best "bang for my buck" which is not NA. it hasn't been shown more reliable (than sticking at a certain boost) than an FI setup at all, and it cost much more money for less hp. i've gotten in the same discussion about the 2.3 over on FocalJet, so not coming down on anyone...i just don't understand.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
You could also just do what Tripoint does and run pistons that up the compression ratio to 12:1. Of course, you'd have to run race gas all the time!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own a turbo vw now, and I can tell you it's the last turbo I will ever own...what a pain....v6 or run some internals on your 4 cyl and be done with it.

yes turbos make gobs of hp but at the expense of driveability. I much rather have the 6 cyl, the extra power...im not out drag racing, so there is no need for insane power anyways....much rather have a car with like 200 hp, and handle great. than a car that has crappy driveability....my 2c worth.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
i have a turbo and drivabilty is fine? maybe you just drove the wrong turbo there buddy?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
MrTea
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing