Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody

i recently installed Narva Arctic Whites as low-beams, and B1 Hybirds as parking lights into the 6.

First impression with only the Narvas and regular parking lights, fantastic. But put next to the B1 Hybirds (super-white); they actually look quite mediocre. The Narvas are very blue on the road, however, looking AT them, they're not so blue. By the way, the Narva Artic White bulbs are meant to be exactly the same as Osram CoolBlues, i got the confirmation from Osram themselves.

What can be the problem? Why dont they look as spectacular as they're meant to be? Steve, this is your turn to speak, as you were the one who told me to install these bulbs, or the Osram equivilient anyway! They sure dont look 'BMW' as u claim.

anyway, i've taken a few snaps of the lights, and can find them here:
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view...d=339248&page=3

thanks for your help and support

·
Registered
164 Posts
Reading Topic: Narva Arctic Whites

i reckon they look alright alexchu.
bout the parking lights however, i know its illegal to have normal driving lights that blue, but since u the parking lights are really SO SO SO weak, is it still illegal to have em like that...i mean, their blueish effect wouldnt even be noticeable unless you turn off the low-beams and just keep the parking lights on...u wouldnt notice em even if the fog-lamps were on!

and oh, since u dun seem to like the Narva Artics...can anybody actually tell me where to get the ACTUAL OSRAM silverstars or the philips vision plus...i dun seem to b able to find em anywhere in bris...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

u can find Vision PLus at Autobarn, i'm fairly sure.

About Osram globes, u can find them at Repco (?) stores around Aus. However, u might also like to note that Osram supply to Hella and Narva as well, in which Narvas can be brought from Autobarn also. U could send Osram an email asking about the exactly locations of 'Osram' globes, whether they're sold as Hellas or Narva.

You might like to note however, that the Osram Silverstars in Aus arent actually extremely white like they are in the US. I've read the globes are modified for the US market. U might like to confirm that with Osram also

good luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts

really? repco...hmm...forgot all bout that place...they never advertise no more...lol

cool, thanx, i'll give that a try.

osrams in aus aint as white as in us???...hmm...ohk, i'll have to check that one out. thanx for the tip!

:-D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

can i get more opinions about the Narvas?

anybody had experience with them?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Narva Arctic Whites'

Originally posted by alexchu

B1 Hybirds as parking lights into the 6.  [/b]
I have not heard of these? Could you explain or post a link?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

they're japanese, i havent heard of them either, but they're really nice

u can see a sample of them on that link to my website i posted earlier

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

one VERY interesting observation: When i switch on the bulbs and shine it into a my door which is white, u can very easily distinguish there are actually two different colour schemes with the light. The top half being yellow, and the botton section being blue. If you look into the light (lights off of course); you can see a metal thing running horizonal down the middle. I've got a feeling that this metal 'thing' somehow changes the colour of the light. Also, looking towards towards the light, the light which comes directly out of the lens is blue, but the stuff that bounces off the bottom is in fact yellow. As a phyics student, we're taught that reflection of light does not change its incident frequency, but the colour change is very noticable!

PLEASE EXPLAIN!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

well i'm an engineer although chemical not those kind of physics stuff. i can tell from my experiences in modifying cars that they have this kind of lights..yellow colour sorrounding blue lights in the centre.
'reflection of light does not change its incident frequency'
i believe this is not the effect of frequency. IMO,it's just how they manufacture it.They make it purposely to have a blue light to add the impression of being 'exquisite'(not sure if i spell that correctly) colour.
In conclusion,i think a more advance physics(not Y12 physics lol :D j/k2) knowledge is required to answer this question.

·
Registered
164 Posts

i was lookin through Autobarn today, and i found OSRAM and Philips bulbs...BUT...

the OSRAM bulbs werent Silverstars, but OSRAM CoolBlues and the Philips werent Philips VisionPlus but BlueVision...

both of them had blue tints on it.
there was an OSRAM type called OSRAM 50+, which claims on the back to have a 50% brigher emission, the same claim as the Silverstars, and they were clear...has anyone heard of these. These 50+ are surprising a lot cheaper than even the CoolBlues, if they were the actual silverstars, i would've expected them to be the most expensive right since they're like the top of the range bulbs for OSRAM i imagine???

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

i think theres also a demand element. You know i think when people go changing their bulbs, the majority would be looking into changing to something 'different', such as blue bulbs, so that could be why the blues are more expensive than +50s.

But i've got a good feeling those +50% bulbs are the same as the silverstars, did u ask the shop?

·
Registered
164 Posts

yeah, i asked the shop, they said they've never heard of silverstars...what they have is what they've got...

and i was like...err...okay...

btw, i got these fairly cheap ($15) blue tinted parking lights from a friend who deals in these light bulbs. they come out quite white...although not too bright since they're parking lights. but yeah, so far i'm quite happy with them, i'll take a pic of them soon for u guys to see...

i cant tell you what brand they are tho, they're in jap...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Narva Arctic Whites'

I assume ur in yr11 alex? I could be wrong though since light stuff was on the yr11 course. Yr12 you do Sound, electronics, and electric power.....

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

ah......i'm in year 12 and doing IB - International Baccalaureate (bragging rights). Anyway, ye, my theory just comes from my study in waves, we havent even done the optics section yet. I'll hopefully be able solve this whole headlight issue after completing OPtics! i hope!!

this is what proactive learning is all about eh?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Narva Arctic Whites

actually, i think the problem is with myself and not the globes

i looked at my friend's PIAA Plasma white or something, and honestly, they didnt turn out to be intensely white down the middle with purple bits out the side. There is still yellow light in a PIAA 'plasma' globe. So unless i go for tinted globes, i think i'll have to settle for a LITTLE bit of yellow in the globe. Plus, the ones i got are far better than stock globes anyway, so i cant really complain.

·
Registered
164 Posts

i know the stock globes arent "white", but i generally feel they're quite decent. i mean they definately look brighter than other cars, and maybe its just me, but they look slight whiter as well???...maybe thats just part of the brightness.

anyway, which lights did you guys change?
high beam/low beam/parking lights/fog lamps?

·
Registered
334 Posts

my one does look TINY bit blue if u have the light shinning to the wall in a short distance .. but general driving it's not so blue ..
yes i reckon the OEM light is quite good already...sorta wasted $ on changing the H1 headlight :(

1 - 20 of 60 Posts