Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interview scheduled for this Saturday at a home electronics store and I was wondering if anyone has some solid advice on really succeeding in the interview- past experiences, what-not. I'm 18 and for the job I've had in sales for the past two years, at an Ace Hardware i helped open, the interview consisted of, "When can you start?" I don't really have any quality interview history and would really like to get this job. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Why dont you just ask your dad

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Be confident. I've had the opportunity to sit in on quite a few interviews. Nothing worse than the guy that's shaking and sweating. Also leave your cellphone in your car or turn it off.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yea make sure you offer her your cock. The bitches always love that unless your an ugly kid then I guess just be a pussy and be nice.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I do interveiws all day long. Be yourself. talk about ur duties and how well you peformed them. If you where employee of the month say so. Tell them what they wanna hear. Your a hard worker, responsible and you like working with people. And be sure to make eye contact at all times. Sit up stright and be early to the interview. 10-20 min. Dont dress like a bum. And smile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Monster.com has some good tips on interviews. Some common questions are:

Tell me about yourself.
What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
Who was your favorite manager and why?
What kind of personality do you work best with and why?
Why do you want this job?

Good luck with your interview.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Definitely dress nice. Wear a tie. You can never over-dress for an interview.

Remember, you are interviewing them also. You should be going in to feel things out and see if it's even a place you would want to work. Think of a few questions that you can ask them. It will help demonstrate your confidence and you may even get them telling you why you should work there.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I have and he is no help - freaking vp of a very big business and he is no help... or my mother.
[/b]
tell him to give u a job....what use is his position if he cannot help u out......

even GWBush was helped by his dad ;) That is how the Elite society works.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Man, preparing the evening before the interview is not the best tactic. There is a ton of tips on the net, just google. The book Interview for Dummies is not bad at all.

Tips given to you here so far were not bad except of course the hopefully unserious "pull your cock out tip".

You can overdress. If your dad has a good income and you have something like a 1000 or 2000$ suit, do not wear that. It'll make the manager look like shit. If you do have a Rolex or something like it, don't wear it either. You do not want to be remembered for anything you wear. Try to fit in as smoothly as possible.

The entire interview thing is really just to gauge your character and personality. If you are invited for an interview that means the basic qualifications are there or you they wouldn't invite you. Ask yourself what kind of person you would want to hire for this kind of job. What are the important skills? How would the ideal candidate look for this job? Actually, that is a good question that you can start the interview with. You gotta pull this one out early or it will make no effect. You tell the HR manager "Of course, I read the job description but it would be great to hear from you directly which responsibilites (demands) this position involves and how you would describe your ideal candidate?"

Make sure to bring a small notepad and a pen (make sure it writes). When he/she talks, you take notes. It shows you care, you are professional and serious. It gives you much better control of the situation and will occupy you so you don't make wacky gestures. Sit straight. Look concentrated. When they talk make sure you lean forward a little and listen intensely.

Do your research on the company. You know what they specialize in, what their sales figures are, who their competitors are, that sort of thing. You can seem ambitious by asking what chances there are to go upwards and in how far they compensate good performance.

Try to make a personal connection. Look around in the office. Is there any art or collectibles you know something about. Maybe the guy has a basketball hoop on his paper bin. Ask if he is into basketball, then chat a little. Let the other person see that you two are on the same wavelength. When you let them partake in your personal life and maybe that even has a connection with the job, that's great. E.g. you build remote controlled air planes or you are a hifi freak who builds his own speakers. If you are realy knowledgeable you could even suggest a product they do not yet have in the line-up but should consider based on your personal experience.

If it's a sales job be prepared to be asked to sell this guy the chair he is sitting on or a ball pen or no matter what. The basic idea here is to make it clear what it is the customer wants, what you have to offer to them and why your product is ideally suited and well priced. Look at it, this is just the same thing as the job interview itself.

I wonder your dad cannot help you with that. If he is high placed he should have some experience in interviews, you usually don't start as VP if it's not a family business.

Zoomspeed

·
Registered
498 Posts
Man, preparing the evening before the interview is not the best tactic. There is a ton of tips on the net, just google. The book Interview for Dummies is not bad at all.

Tips given to you here so far were not bad except of course the hopefully unserious "pull your cock out tip".

You can overdress. If your dad has a good income and you have something like a 1000 or 2000$ suit, do not wear that. It'll make the manager look like shit. If you do have a Rolex or something like it, don't wear it either. You do not want to be remembered for anything you wear. Try to fit in as smoothly as possible.

The entire interview thing is really just to gauge your character and personality. If you are invited for an interview that means the basic qualifications are there or you they wouldn't invite you. Ask yourself what kind of person you would want to hire for this kind of job. What are the important skills? How would the ideal candidate look for this job? Actually, that is a good question that you can start the interview with. You gotta pull this one out early or it will make no effect. You tell the HR manager "Of course, I read the job description but it would be great to hear from you directly which responsibilites (demands) this position involves and how you would describe your ideal candidate?"

Make sure to bring a small notepad and a pen (make sure it writes). When he/she talks, you take notes. It shows you care, you are professional and serious. It gives you much better control of the situation and will occupy you so you don't make wacky gestures. Sit straight. Look concentrated. When they talk make sure you lean forward a little and listen intensely.

Do your research on the company. You know what they specialize in, what their sales figures are, who their competitors are, that sort of thing. You can seem ambitious by asking what chances there are to go upwards and in how far they compensate good performance.

Try to make a personal connection. Look around in the office. Is there any art or collectibles you know something about. Maybe the guy has a basketball hoop on his paper bin. Ask if he is into basketball, then chat a little. Let the other person see that you two are on the same wavelength. When you let them partake in your personal life and maybe that even has a connection with the job, that's great. E.g. you build remote controlled air planes or you are a hifi freak who builds his own speakers. If you are realy knowledgeable you could even suggest a product they do not yet have in the line-up but should consider based on your personal experience.

If it's a sales job be prepared to be asked to sell this guy the chair he is sitting on or a ball pen or no matter what. The basic idea here is to make it clear what it is the customer wants, what you have to offer to them and why your product is ideally suited and well priced. Look at it, this is just the same thing as the job interview itself.

I wonder your dad cannot help you with that. If he is high placed he should have some experience in interviews, you usually don't start as VP if it's not a family business.

Zoomspeed
[/b]
Excellent advice. When I was applying for teaching jobs, our interviews were usually an hour or two so I learned a lot each time.

My best advice:

1. Wear nice shoes...the first thing most interviewers look at are shoes.
2. Don't wear a lot of cologne. A lot of people are allergic to it.
3. As stated before, be confident, but not cocky. There is ALWAYS more you can learn.
4. Compliment the company. People loved to be stroked.
5. Show up at least 15 minutes early! This looks very good.
6. Ask questions. Most interviewers will ask if you have any questions. HAVE SOME! It shows your interest in the company/job.
7. Sometimes the most difficult question they ask is this...Why do you want to work HERE? Make sure you can answer it.

EDIT - Missed the date thing...maybe this can help someone else.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Be able to talk about yourself. I interview people frequently and I hate when I ask them about themselves and they have nothing to say. Everyone should be able to talk about themselves for at least 5 minutes. Atleast. Also pay attention! Maintain eye contact and when you arrive and leave initiate the hand shake. It shows you are a leader to some degree and not a follower.

Also if you are serious about a job dress like it. Be clean shaven and get a damn hair cut. Don't come to my store looking like a slob. If you don't keep your appearance nice why would you keep your work area clean.

And now for the most secretive addvice of all. Really I shouldn't be telling you this but oh well....wash your car. Sounds dumb right? Think about it. If your car is clean it shows you take pride in your things. I know it sounds dumb but when I interview it starts when you get to my place of business. Even if you are outside. You show up and smoke on the front steps and I won't even think about hiring you. Oh yeah don't smoke before an interview either.

Hope some of that helps. I have been a General Manager of a restaurant for 1 year and Assistant Manager of various restaurants for about 4 years collectively. I can't even count how many interviews I have been in, around, or conducted. I even had to take classes for it at a few jobs.

Oh and if you know how to interview you will always get the job. I have never been turned down for a job that I got an interview for. Never.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It also helps to do some research on the company you want to work for.
I have been to interviews where they ask you about what you know about the company.
Also, in the interview, ask questions about the company. Thinks like "What is the company's focus?" or "Does the company have expansion plans?"
It shows that you are interested and want to know more about the company.

My favorite question is the "What is your weakness?"

I always answer that the same... "Kryptonite"

Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great advice, guys. :thumbup:

Even if the OP's date is passed and he perhaps got the job and is to busy now to reply, keep it coming. This is gonna be helpful for all of us. I thought I had done good homework and new most of the things but, hey, the keep your car clean and don't smoke in front of the office windows thing is cool.

Now, I am not sure about the handshake. In good etiquette the handshake is always initiated by the superior person (age, position or owner/user of territory you are on - the person who is welcoming you offers you their hand). It would be considered impolite to first offer yours, following the rules strictly. But probably most people don't know the etiquette in all its finesse.

Also the seating procedure. You either have to ask "May I sit?" or wait until offered a seat. Expecially if the interviewer is a woman you must wait until she is at lest half way seated before you even start to lower your butt :).

A good tip for eye contact and being aware of the other person is to look them in the eyes at least once with so much attention that you have no doubt about their eye color. Think of it, the last time you were introduced to someone at a party or event, can you remember their eye color? I get much better attention from people since I follow this advice.

Also, what are the big no-no's?

Zoomspeed

·
Registered
184 Posts
No-no's

Answering a cell phone.
Cutting your interviewer off when they are talking.
Scratching yourself. (I have seen people do it)
Chewing gum.
Going to the bathroom.
Don't put your hands in your pockets and figit. Instead fold them in front of you or place them on your lap.
Also even if you don't at home try and sit up straight.

That is all I can think of now.

Just remember that you are selling yourself to this person. Be polite and attentative and smile! Look like you really want the job. Don't be afraid to show that you are excited about the interview, but be proffesional.

You want to show you are a person worth investing in. Make no mistake about it. It costs money to hire and train people so the person hiring is looking for the best bang for the buck. Most large companies don't make a cent off a new person for 9-12 months. They want someone who will work there for a year or more not 2 months and then start over.

Attitude is everything. I can teach anyone anything if they are willing to pay attention and learn.

As far as the hand shake. I think you are correct about the etiquette. Although most people don't know it so it still makes you look good.

I personally like to take a folder with me that contains a resume, a list of previous employeers, and a seperate plain sheet of paper for notes. I also try and bring a pen. If you have to sign something it looks nice.

If I think of more I will post later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The interview went both well and not so well. On the plus side they were very impressed by me, as both the HR director and store manager said after interviewing and walking around for an hour. More good news - they are offering me a job. The not-so-good news: I can immediately start as an assistant to the merchandiser/inventory guy... when I applied for sales. The pay isn't much better than what I make now (the drive would cancel any affect of the money). I will call the store manager later this week and tell him I would really like a chance at sales. He told me it wasn't an entry-level position and most people have several years experience. I am pretty sure I can handle it seeing as though I have a pretty good understanding of electronics, sales and learn very quickly.

Thanks to everyone who posted advice and I'll let you know what the end result is.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Hey, if you applied for 1 job but got offered another position I would walk away. The same shit happened to me when I graduated college and was looking for work. If its not the position your looking for I would search elsewhere. Just my 2 cents goodluck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
16 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing