Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rally Racer
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for everyone. What do you do when you find a finishing nail (or two) in your new tires that are not loosing pressure? Do you have them fixed or do you let them ride?

In my area the shops will not repair a tire that has been repaired twice already. For me that would mean that If I get another n the next 30,000mi them I am out.

I drove by a construction site on a narrow one lane road that I could not turn around on because of traffic behind me. Every time I have driven past one of those big dumpsters at a home build site I pick up nails and staples.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Tough call. I think I'd probably have them repaired sooner than later and then buy a good plug kit and use if they will no longer repair a tire. Easy to plug yourself if you absolutely need to. Not too many years a go we always plugged the tire and never bothered with having them patched.

I've never heard of a shop not repairing a tire because it had too many repairs....

·
Rally Racer
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tough call. I think I'd probably have them repaired sooner than later and then buy a good plug kit and use if they will no longer repair a tire. Easy to plug yourself if you absolutely need to. Not too many years a go we always plugged the tire and never bothered with having them patched.
Good advise. I have even plugged big 33" tires while still mounted and pressurized with enough air remaining after to make it to the filling station.

I've never heard of a shop not repairing a tire because it had too many repairs....
:|

·
Registered
787 Posts
I admit that I'm a bit lazy so if it's not losing air, I'll leave it.

I just wonder why the shops around you won't fix a tire twice. I had mine 3 times already. The funny thing is, I had it patched and after an hour I got another one on the same tire.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
If it's not losing air it's good odds that is because the nail didn't go through all the way; if it did then when the tread flexes as the tire rotates it would lose a tiny little bit of air which, over time, will add up. But as the tire wear if it hasn't gone all the way through now it will go through the inner casing (rubber is softer, ergo, it wears first.)

If you pull the nail and it doesn't leak then you dodged it. But if it does then I'd have it fixed, and if you need to, well, as noted buy some plugs. Just know that if you use an external plug no shop will touch it after that but if you're already in the "penalty box" then why not?

With that said my kid holed a tire while on a trip and rather than take it to Wally or any tire store and have them dismount and repair it from the inside the guy she was with plugged it with an old-school DIY style plug. Months later she picked up a screw but with that plug in the tire I knew the shops wouldn't touch it, so I plugged THAT one with another DIY.

Two years later she finally wore those tires out and had to buy new ones; the old-style plugs held up just fine.

·
Registered
555 Posts
We have a lot of "New and used" tire shops around my area and they will pretty much do anything for $20 lol.

Personally I take whatever it is out as soon as I see it. Old school plugs work great but if one is too worried about it, patches work better. If a shop won't fix the tire for you, you could always ask them to break the bead for you and then you could patch it yourself and have them bead it back up and balance it. Little tire shops are pretty cool when it comes to stuff like that. I ordered tires online once and had them shipped to the house. I took my eclipse with the tires loaded up in the hatch to the little tire store and they mounted and balanced them for $40.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts