Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.5-liter intercooled and turbocharged 4-cylinder boxer engine with Active Valve Control System (AVCS)  
300-horsepower @ 6,000 rpm, 300 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm All-Wheel Drive  
Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD)  
Mechanical limited-slip rear differential  
4-wheel fully independent sport-tuned suspension with inverted front strut  
6-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter  [/b]

Expected pricing around $32,000. Expected production of 4,000-5,000 units per year.
Noone else in the world gets a 2.5 liter STi. They probably had to bump the displacement because of our emissions standards. Wow, I guess those things can do some good after all.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'NAIAS: Subaru Imprez WRX STi'

The STi front end has a larger hood scoop than what’s found on other WRX models. Reason: To get more air to the 300-horsepower, turbocharged and intercooled engine.[/b]

A large, rear wing and gold-colored wheels with low-profile tires accent the sporty styling of the 2004 Impreza WRX STi.[/b]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Oops! I took the pic off of MSN's STi coverage - blame them. It was the glare. I was on drugs. It's not my fault!

Seriously though, what do you all think of this car? The new WRX and STi are actually high on my list of possible next cars. The STi is probably out of the question - I refuse to get gouged by the dealer. But the WRX has nearly everything I'm looking for - AWD, turbo, hatch/wagon. I prefer the looks of the 6 hatch hands down. If the 6 hatch comes with the V6 and AWD I will most likely plunk down my money on that. But if I have to pony up 30 large for the MazdaSpeed, I may balk. I simply don't need that much power. I want the power for occasional fun and hooliganry, not to beat every punk from light to light or to the next offramp.

My only qualms about the WRX are the level of refinement - definitely a step down from the 6, but still very good for its class.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Drive it and report to us, Kenoka.

I have driven an Impreza, but not a WRX. AWD is definitely a plus, but keep in mind the '6 is a regular sedan, the WRX is still a compact car. If you need the room, the Impreza lacks. Rear seats are very short on room. And even the hatch doesn't provide you with a whole lot of space, not as much as you'd think a hatch (mini-wagon) would give.

I also found the brakes in the Impreza to be poor, but I have heard the WRX has substantially better braking performance.

But, I would venture to think the WRX might be more fun...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Oh, and might I add, I think the WRX is pretty ugly, IMO. Not enough to stop me from buying the car, though, if it proved to be fun enough. It's just there, not much of a statement either way (good or bad).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have driven the WRX AJ - here is my report:

Power: The car is a perfectly behaved commuter around town. Granny shift at 2500-3000 rpm and you get the manners of any 2.0 liter four banger. When you get into the boost range and keep it there though, there is a definite rush of power. Many people complain about turbo lag on this car. IMHO they don't know how to drive a turbo vehicle. We're too used to the V8 experience - mash the loud pedal and go. If you know where you are in the rev range, you can get into boost any time by rev matching and down shifting. It's just part of understanding your car. I like the dual personalities - I think it's a perfect compromise.

Handling: There is definitely some body roll under hard cornering, but it is pretty well controlled. It handles bumps and odd cambers well. There is the typical AWD understeer push, but I'm told that some sway bar adjustment can take care of that pretty easily. Overall I thought the car handled very well, especially considering the amount of travel on the stock suspension. Ride was firm, but not harsh. For a sporting vehicle, I would even say a little soft. 17" rims and tires would probably take care of that though. Steering was good, not great.

Comfort: The seats are VERY good. It has a simple height and angle adjustment lever, which works surprisingly well. I was able to find a comfortable position quite easily. The wheel is a nice thick Momo unit that had a nice feel, if a bit large. The cabin is typical compact level, but fit and finish are pretty good. The seat material is interesting; the middle is satiny and shiny, while the sides and back are a cottony soft fiber.

Looks: I'm not impressed, but I'm not repulsed either. I'm definitely more prone to buy it after the facelift than before. I like the idea that it's a bit stealthy (especially the wagon). I guess it's not too stealthy for those in the know, but still.

Conclusion: A very fun and sporty car, and a hell of a bargain for the price. Subaru has addressed some of the niggling issues that bugged me about the 2002/2003's: pull up antenna (how cheap is that!); no heated seats/mirrors (I like my buns warm); moonroof (I'm not sure I want one, I just like the option); and leather (I have a dog, and that seat material is a total hair magnet).

·
Registered
350 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

Improved them.[/b]
That's right but they really couldn't be worse. :p

Don't like the new ones either.

·
Registered
514 Posts

I would not say the WRX is well-refined for its class... it's more edgy than anything in it's class rather.

I actually dislike the interior quite a bit... and it doesn't look like the STi was really improved in that department either (sure, it's got ecsaine and metal door handles but I'm more concerned with the ergonomics and the lack of sound deadening).

-Alt

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well, these are the type of refinement issues I was alluding to earlier. Lack of sound deadening is something that can mostly be resolved with the installation of an aftermarket sound system, so doesn't worry me that much, but the wind noise from the frameless windows does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts