Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, and unfortunately have to start with a question. Have 2018 Mazda 6 for two years now, and windshield is shot. So I took it to the reputable glass replacement place. They called me back asking what are the sensors on my windshield. Not the cluster in the middle. I have two more on the right side. Gone are the days when replacing windshield was $50 and 20 minutes. They just don't know what they are and refused to replace my glass. Help please. What are they? Do I need to buy new ones and apply to the glass? Or do I carefully undo them and stick to the new glass? The long-stirp-one seems to be willing to come off, not sure about square-loop-one.

I combed the internet but didn't find any references to it :( The car is loaded with everything available ( I think)

The one in the middle have a square metal loop, 1.5 inch on a side. You can see it on the outside picture

Thanks,
Vlad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was your car brand new when you got it? I don't think the ones in question are stock.

Is there a remote start installed? Or is there a tracking thing of some sort for theft / installed by a leasing company?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Was your car brand new when you got it? I don't think the ones in question are stock.

Is there a remote start installed? Or is there a tracking thing of some sort for theft / installed by a leasing company?
Yes they are stock and yea i totally forgot about my friend having the My Mazda app for the remote start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is completely stock, and I bought it new from the dealer. Yes, it has remote start via mazda app. But there are two antennas! Which one is which?...

·
Registered
652 Posts
The car is completely stock, and I bought it new from the dealer. Yes, it has remote start via mazda app. But there are two antennas! Which one is which?...
If I may ask, is this covered by your insurance? I'm not sure but I've heard of some models that needs a sort of alignment upon replacement of windshield.

If I'm not mistaken, it has something to do with the adaptive cruise control / radar / sensor or whatever it is called.

I've heard that the dealership can "only" do it. If this is the case, then I'd rather have the dealership do it and claim the expenses through insurance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If I may ask, is this covered by your insurance? I'm not sure but I've heard of some models that needs a sort of alignment upon replacement of windshield.

If I'm not mistaken, it has something to do with the adaptive cruise control / radar / sensor or whatever it is called.

I've heard that the dealership can "only" do it. If this is the case, then I'd rather have the dealership do it and claim the expenses through insurance.
You're right. Every time the front camera is messed with, it needs to be calibrated. Some collision centre where I live claims to be able to do it, but I don't have first hand experience.

Some security features might not work correctly if that's not calibrated correctly (lane keep assist, emergency braking, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Both are a part of the Mazda Mobile Start installation. GPS and phone. I don't know whether they can be re-used or if they need replaced. They are Mazda parts though from a Mazda accessory. A Mazda dealer should be able to help with part numbers if required.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Can't you just peel them off carefully using a heat gun?
Since both are antennas, there shouldn't be any calibration involved.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Can't you just peel them off carefully using a heat gun?
Since both are antennas, there shouldn't be any calibration involved.
Good suggestion and hope it works. Regarding calibration, I think post number 8 answers it. Unless the said vehicle doesn't have those features mentioned, then no calibration is needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks! That picture worth 1000 words!
I was able to remove both, but they had a thin two sided adhesive film to attach to the glass, and that stayed on the glass :(

The TEL antenna will be easy to reattach with generic two sided adhesive film. But the GPS antenna was in two pieces, one is antenna itself that sticks to the glass (see pic) and a small box that sticks on top of that, touching it with two metal "fingers". That antenna is delicate film, and will be very difficult to replace. Still possible I guess - you'll need a big sheet of adhesive, and then trace the complex outline. I'd rather get a new one. The design is pretty bad, as I don't see any connectors, at least in the top part of headliner. It looks like a single harness. I hope dealer can sell separate parts.

The windshield replacement, including camera calibration was quoted to me for $600 from a good place. Damn calibration is probably like $400. My insurance deductible is $1000 :( I guess with thin glass like that it make sense to pay for special windshield class at Progressive. But the installation was cancelled, as they didn't know what to do with those antennas. Now I removed antennas myself, just carefully pilled them from the glass, and rescheduled the installation. The antennas just dangling from the headliner at the moment.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Gone are the days when replacing windshield was $50 and 20 minutes.
This makes me think that I should have a windshield repair kit on standby! I don't think I have those antennas but I'll take a look and hope that it's not the same as yours and less complicated.

Anyways, with or without the antennas, the calibration is still there.

The windshield replacement, including camera calibration was quoted to me for $600 from a good place. Damn calibration is probably like $400.
These "nice features" are indeed nice! And it will nicely break the wallet once it gets busted.
😀

·
Registered
786 Posts
Damn calibration is probably like $400. My insurance deductible is $1000 :(
What state are you in? In KY since you can be charged for a cracked windshield, as long as you have comp covereage, its free, no deductible. Might wanna check on that and not go off of what you think your policy covers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts