Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Time to make a formal introduction, after lurking for so long and sporadically interjecting my opinion.

I bought my Speed6 GT new after a local VW dealership crashed my 20th Anniversary GTI into a telephone pole. Needless to say they did me a favor; the MS6 is a far better car. I miss only the Recaro seats...

I spin my own wrenches, doing all mechanical work no matter how complicated. There is nothing I cannot do in that regard, thanks to having a skilled mechanic for a father.

The first mod was wheels and tires; Motegi Racing DV5's 18"x8" et50 & Goodyear Eagle F1 225\40's. I chose these wheels because I wanted something easy to clean and that had a distinct lip.
CorkSport DP back exhaust w/ their resonator, front stress bar, Redline hood struts and Stoptech CD front rotors w/ EBC pads rounded out the mods until recently. This is how she looked for the last several years.

As for mods and upgrades now, there are several. :p

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
boost gauge

The Speed recently became my daily driver again.
Reinspired, first came the ProSport Premium boost gauge and block8head pod, then Sylfex AuxMod. CS LED lights and stress bar on the inside also.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rear bumper "downgrade"

My rear bumper cover suffered some scratches and minor damage over the years. One cracked diffuser let the pseudo tip rattle like a bastard on the exhaust also. Looking at the f4dlighting site, I fell in love with the OEM sport bumper, and decided it would look good on a Speed.
Controversial decision perhaps, but I'm going to give it a go. Here is the trial fitting of an onyx black sport cover from an '04.

Modifying the exhaust will be required, clearly. Otherwise, Sport wheel well liners were the only other necessity for the conversion.
I did lose my rear tow hook in the process though; that does concern me some should I ever need a tow.

All the RoadKill was to hopefully numb the sound of the CorkSport exhaust; it didn't help much at all. It's laid in the fenders and the trunk lid too.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
engine mods

OK, bug has bitten hard; I'm fully involved now and can't stop!

3.5" ETS TMIC, 51r battery on a HTP tray, full CPe intake, GS EBCS, TS BPV, and Autotech internals. Silicone hoses for the most part too.
Not having any audio requirements, I love the smaller battery. The HTP tray is extremely well made.

I've since take the EBCS off of the firewall because it was just annoying. I have it zip-tied to the BB vacuum line now, and it cannot be heard anymore.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
springs

finally lowered!!!!!!

With H&R's and this awesome compressor...

I went from this...

to this!

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brakes next

I did the front's early on; finally finishing the job. Calipers got prettied up too. I have stainless lines to install when I get around to it also.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stage 2 shifter

acquired from a forum member; I think it is an eBay Ralco unit. Quite nice actually!

I've since added a Redline Goods shift boot, as well as e-brake and armrest covers. Black leather with light grey stitching to match the stock seats.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sport bumper installed, exhaust not yet modified

progress! cover back from paint; installed with new liners.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lighting mods

did the brake light mod a while ago, then the fog light mod, now lighted rear reflectors. I also used the 3m kit on my headlights with amazing results.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the compliments! :)

Not the best pictures, but here the mufflers are back on. Best way to make your CS exhaust sound quiet is to remove the mufflers for a few days. Once reassembled, it almost seems quiet. Almost.
Tips are 12" long, 3.5" diameter, round w/ 15 degree slash cut. They are welded immediately after the mufflers. Protrusion from bumper is minimal and subtle. Overall, I think like it!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
not diggin the rear bumper and wheels.. all subjective though.. just my two pennies

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The more I look at it, the less I like the sport bumper. :-( I think the profile view of the car looks better, but directly from the rear is plain, bordering on ugly.
I got a good deal on some Spyder tails, and those are a huge improvement over stock. I like them more than I expected; they make the car look more modern and newer. Will post pics when I snap some decent ones.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts