Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
Well I did, and it is with a "D" as I stated earlier. Probably never know why. 馃し
Wow!! Was it the same reader or somewhere different?

If it was a different scanner then I'm not quite sure where to begin other than the dealer. If it pulls up with a "D" on their scanner then it's within the ecu somehow. Maybe they had another vin code ready to use but never got around to it? But why all of a sudden change itself??

Maybe the wagon is tired of being labeled as a Mazda and is thinking " I identify myself as an Audi" 馃ぃ 馃ぃ :LOL: :LOL:

Registered
Well that sounds like your ECU has flipped a bit.

"F" is 0x46 (0100 0110) and "D" is 0x44 (0100 0100). So you "lost" the "2s" position bit in the nibble.

How big a deal is this? It isn't, provided it's only there. The problem is there's no way to know it's only there, and I'm rather concerned with this because the ECU code should checksum on startup and whatever algorithm is used should be VERY robust, since there's real trouble if the code and data segments in that unit get corrupted. It's rather unlikely that whatever part of NV stores the VIN doesn't have anything else important in it, and thus wouldn't be part of said checksum-on-start.

Hopefully you don't get nailed with another bit-flip that does something you really won't like or worse, causes the startup checksum to fail and thus the ECU bricks itself.

Rally Racer
Discussion Starter #23
Wow!! Was it the same reader or somewhere different?
Different scanner. My Scantool LX is also reading the switch.
Maybe the wagon is tired of being labeled as a Mazda and is thinking " I identify myself as an Audi" 馃ぃ 馃ぃ :LOL: :LOL:
Ha ha. I wonder if you are not too far off on this one. I am curious if maybe it had something to do with my conversion of my information display screen. I followed a polish video, (linked for @hurddawg earlier in this thread) that allows the information screen to access the settings for fuel consumption and mileage numbers from the instrument cluster. I have not yet connected the connector points from the speedo that sends that information to the info screen, as I am too busy at the moment, but I wonder if that changed the VIN identification. It reset all my trip mileage when it was reconnected (not sure if this normally happens when the information screen is unplugged as it normally clears my radio and I have to reset my station presets).
@hurddawg may be doing this swap (although not now perhaps) and it would be interesting if he were to get the same VIN change.
I did have a moment to do a little research and it turns out (I believe) that Ford in Europe uses the same VIN structure and that position with a "D" would indicate a 5-door with lift-gate chassis style.
So Ray, maybe not an Audi but rather going back to its roots as the Blue Oval...
Hopefully you don't get nailed with another bit-flip that does something you really won't like or worse, causes the startup checksum to fail and thus the ECU bricks itself.
Brick bad...

Rally Racer
Discussion Starter #24
Part 1:
So, I have a follow up to this dilemma which I was perfectly willing to let die. However...
I received a card from Mazda North America Operations that is asking for the status of my vehicle.
SOLD
STOLEN
DESTROYED
I DO NOT OWN A MAZDA
The Vehicle Identification Number On the card is incorrect. The VIN of my Mazda is:
The number listed on the card is my old (used to be correct before the mysterious change event of 2019)

My Question: SHOULD I UPDATE THE INFORMATION WITH MAZDA TO MY CURRENT PCM VIN OR LEAVE IT AS MY DASH AND DOOR PLACARD VIN?

Part 2:

The same day I received a notice from the NHTSA informing me that my vehicle needs to be recalled for the recall, (second air bag replacement, apparently they need to replace the replacement which was a "temporary" part) 馃し鈥嶁檪锔
"Frontal Passenger Side Air Bag Inflator Replacement Safety Recall 2618F NHTSA Campaign No. 19V-781 This notice applies to your vehicle: 2004 Mazda Mazda6 VIN YVFP82D445Nxxxxx "

:unsure:

Will changing the VIN interfere with my recall work? Which VIN do I go with? The dealer I contacted has never heard of anything close and cannot advise. They cannot even tell me how they would proceed until I commit and bring it in.

I am inclined to go with @djp-16 and take it in to another dealer while playing "dumb" and state that the dashboard VIN matches the NHTSA records, if THEY even mention anything.

What to do? Any suggestions?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts