Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a quasi-repost from the Mosport threads in the Toronto forums but thought that this news could easily get buried in there by non-canadians. So forgive me if there is a bit of overlap. As the news travels I wanted to let 6club as a whole know a bit more of what I am involved with.

My University (Oakland University) is the first ever school-sponsored racing team. Our program is designed to encourage careers in automotive engineering as well as to do all-around good in the community. We went out to Mosport for our first race and our goal was to just complete the race. Well, we did one better! We finished in the top 20 (17th!) and even got the Holeshot award (6 passes in the first lap)

We are driving the focaljet.com 2003 Ford Focus.

We had to replace a c-joint Saturday after qualifying and must have slightly misaligned the susension as the right tire was toed. This caused some real turning problems for the driver and he was very confident we would have gotten in the top 8 if it weren't for that problem!

Our crew chief accidently made fun of Frankie Muniz at Canadian Tire when he (Frankie) told the cashier he was a racer, to which the crew cheif replied that he was racing his mothers station wagon. He didn't know it was Malcolm in the Middle until we got back to the paddock!

All in all it was really an incredible experience. We took on several professional teams with VERY LARGE budgets and actually took a position and an award with our measly budget and lack of experience. We are looking forward to Atlanta in a few weeks as we found a lot of things we need to work on!

Here are some pics: http://www.bezas.com/gallery/OUMosport

We just got a nice write-up on Autoblog.com and in order to drum up some publicity I submitted a story to digg.com. If anyone is a member would you mind digging this story so it can grow some legs and help this program take off?

http://www.digg.com/motorsport/First_Profe..._first_pro_race

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
cool stuff man, too bad you guys had the focus and not the 6, I'd prefer to drive the TSX though!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, I would be lobbying to be the driver if that were the case! We did beat out a couple of 6's though. The focus handles really well in the rain (which there was an ABUNDANCE of) and only weighs 2200 pounds. I believe the Mazdas are weighing in the high 2k's/3k's on the track. We put such large brakes on the Focus that it is unstoppable in 'stopping' power (excuse the pun) Our weak point is on the straight-aways. We simply do not have the horsepower to maintain our position. But we are working on that!

Thanks for the kudos :)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
It was a great effort and the $500 for the Holeshot Award. The 6 weighs 2240 pounds w/ driver.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? Wow, I am surprised. I knew the 6 was significantly heavier stock but didn't think they could gut that much weight out of it! Good to know :)

Just watch for us in Atlanta when we do not have a flaw in our suspension!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Really? Wow, I am surprised. I knew the 6 was significantly heavier stock but didn't think they could gut that much weight out of it! Good to know :)

Just watch for us in Atlanta when we do not have a flaw in our suspension!
[/b]
We'll be @ Road Atlanta, we'll make sure we stop by to check the car out. We will be at the Tindol Paddock as well as the Tri-Point Paddock as well.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I will not personally be able to make it. But stop and say hello to the Crew Chief Matt Shipes. He's a close friend of mine and has such a passion for all of this, you'll definetly get a worthwhile conversation out of him.

Are you simply a fan or more deeply involved with the race?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Unfortunately I will not personally be able to make it. But stop and say hello to the Crew Chief Matt Shipes. He's a close friend of mine and has such a passion for all of this, you'll definetly get a worthwhile conversation out of him.

Are you simply a fan or more deeply involved with the race?
[/b]

Just a big fan, we make 4-5 races a year, Chris Tindol has been a good friend to us and the Mazda 6 club. As my wife holds the flag for Charles Espenlaub on the grid, if it didn't rain ! We've are close with a number of teams and drivers, Tri-Point with Jeff, Randy and Dino. Chip is a good friend and so is Robb Holland.

We are working with Mazdaspeed Motorsports to see if we can work in conjunction with them to have are member cars around the paddock areas. They can compare our modded 6's to the race 6's...it will be a good deal for selling cars, etc.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
This is a quasi-repost from the Mosport threads in the Toronto forums but thought that this news could easily get buried in there by non-canadians. So forgive me if there is a bit of overlap. As the news travels I wanted to let 6club as a whole know a bit more of what I am involved with.

My University (Oakland University) is the first ever school-sponsored racing team. Our program is designed to encourage careers in automotive engineering as well as to do all-around good in the community. We went out to Mosport for our first race and our goal was to just complete the race. Well, we did one better! We finished in the top 20 (17th!) and even got the Holeshot award (6 passes in the first lap)

We are driving the focaljet.com 2003 Ford Focus.

We had to replace a c-joint Saturday after qualifying and must have slightly misaligned the susension as the right tire was toed. This caused some real turning problems for the driver and he was very confident we would have gotten in the top 8 if it weren't for that problem!

Our crew chief accidently made fun of Frankie Muniz at Canadian Tire when he (Frankie) told the cashier he was a racer, to which the crew cheif replied that he was racing his mothers station wagon. He didn't know it was Malcolm in the Middle until we got back to the paddock!

All in all it was really an incredible experience. We took on several professional teams with VERY LARGE budgets and actually took a position and an award with our measly budget and lack of experience. We are looking forward to Atlanta in a few weeks as we found a lot of things we need to work on!

Here are some pics: http://www.bezas.com/gallery/OUMosport

We just got a nice write-up on Autoblog.com and in order to drum up some publicity I submitted a story to digg.com. If anyone is a member would you mind digging this story so it can grow some legs and help this program take off?

http://www.digg.com/motorsport/First_Profe..._first_pro_race
[/b]
Up near Knoxville here in Iowa. They have had a school sponsored Sprint car team ever since I can even remember. With the World of Outlaws and all of that crap. It's a small university I know that. I can't remember the name. They also teach whatever it's called to be a pilot and mechanic for airplanes.

Now it's going to bother me what the name of the school is lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts