Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not use my trunk that often, but when I put something in there earlier today, the carpet felt wet. I pulled the carpet, interior side panels and the spare tire. All three wells had a bunch of water sitting in them. The jack itself was pretty much under water. I pulled everything out of there too. The jack had some light surface rust forming on it, so the water has been there a while. There even some ever so light surface rusting along the seam sealer lines.

I got all the water out of there and have the trunk open drying out in the light wind we have today. The carpet mat is soaked underneath and has water draining out of it. I washed her yesterday and we had a lot of rain last week. But, I have no idea how long the water has been in there.

I plan on folding down the rear seats and shining a light in there while someone hoses down back there to see if I get any water flow. Has anyone run into this problem before? The inside of the car feels dry, so only the trunk is affected as far as I know.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (yoichi @ Feb 19 2010, 03:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638306
The weather stripping could be the culprit[/b]
yep has happened to me before, i tought it was the tail lights but i looked and it wasnt. i had a bunch of mold in my trunk cause of it

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
sunroof rear drain lines maybe.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've had water in my trunk a couple times as well. I haven't actually had someone help me to check where the leak is, but from the reading I did at the time, it was likely either the taillights, a body seam, the weather stripping around the trunk, or something from underneath. It hasn't been bad lately, although I haven't been checking since fall.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Wow that sucks. I've never heard of this problem before. I hope you find the cause and get it fixed up. At least you didn't find a water-logged corpse shoved in there too! lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Water in trunk

This happened to me too... I took it to the dealer since it's still under warranty and they said there was rust built up under the trunk weatherstripping so they cleaned that up and replaced it...who knows what the deal really was but thats what happened. I was pissed tho because i had a Snap-On multimeter next to my spare tire which got all fucked up

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had all the interior panels out for about a week. We got a night of rain and I washed the car once. There were a few puddles of water in the spare tire well, so water is still getting in. I guess I will have to pull the seats down and shine a light in there while the wifey runs the hose over the trunk area. I only have a few months left on the factory warranty, so if it is a dealer fix, then I should take care of it quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts