Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I get those "full circle checks" from my mazda dealer everytime I do oil change there. They do it for free and always they check my ATF fluid as fine. So I checked for the hell of it my self today and compared it to my family's van
Left Side: 2006 honda odyssey around 1,700 miles, Right Side: 2004 Mazda6s around 37,600 miles.

I was a little shocked in the color difference. Neither car has ever had tranny oil changed, and in the Mazda manual it says not to change it til like 60,000 miles or something. Any help or suggestion would be appretiated, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
It's difficult to judge the condition of oil just by the color alone.

However, it doesn't hurt to change your ATX fluid if you like. And if you're doing it yourself, you can change it with synthetic.

FYI, I have MTX and changed the fluid at 20000. Planning to do it again at 40000. It doesn't hurt + not expensive. :)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
My Fluid was that color at 20,000miles I got the flush and now its a healthy pink/reddish color. I would get a flush and maybe install a tranny cooler.

EDIT: IIRC most dealerships suggest a tranny flush at the 30,000mile service anyway

D

·
0 Posts
Yes, it would be good to change the ATF. It wouldn't hurt and it is fairly easy. Here is site with a "how to" for the 6S or the 6i.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...id=33&Itemid=49

Check your owners manual to find what ATF to use. It may use Mercon V which can be found at some regular parts stores. AZ carries it in my area. By the way, the Odyssey is notorious for transmission problems. So do not use Odyssey as the standard of comparison for color of ATF or durability. My Honda Odyssey ATF was nearly black at 21,000 miles. In my experience, Odyssey ATF gets dark faster than Chrysler minivan, Nissan (several), Dodge Stratus, Chrysler Concorde, Chevrolet Cavalier, Mazda 6i.... and the list goes on and on. And Honda ATF is dealer only. What a rip off.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it would be good to change the ATF. It wouldn't hurt and it is fairly easy. Here is site with a "how to" for the 6S or the 6i.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...id=33&Itemid=49

Check your owners manual to find what ATF to use. It may use Mercon V which can be found at some regular parts stores. AZ carries it in my area. By the way, the Odyssey is notorious for transmission problems. So do not use Odyssey as the standard of comparison for color of ATF or durability. My Honda Odyssey ATF was nearly black at 21,000 miles. In my experience, Odyssey ATF gets dark faster than Chrysler minivan, Nissan (several), Dodge Stratus, Chrysler Concorde, Chevrolet Cavalier, Mazda 6i.... and the list goes on and on. And Honda ATF is dealer only. What a rip off.
[/b]
lol about the odyssey, well it has 1700miles on it so I'm thinking its alright for comparison (or it better be!!!!!!). I was gonna compare it to my mom's 1997 s320, but I couldn't find the dipstick. I then checked the manual which said "There is a permanent fill of ATF fluid in this vehicle so it never needs to be checked/changed, therefore the dipstick is omitted" Amazing!

·
Registered
676 Posts
BROWN IS NOT A GOOD COLOR! Change it ASAP!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey, I get those "full circle checks" from my mazda dealer everytime I do oil change there. They do it for free and always they check my ATF fluid as fine. So I checked for the hell of it my self today and compared it to my family's van
Left Side: 2006 honda odyssey around 1,700 miles, Right Side: 2004 Mazda6s around 37,600 miles.

I was a little shocked in the color difference. Neither car has ever had tranny oil changed, and in the Mazda manual it says not to change it til like 60,000 miles or something. Any help or suggestion would be appretiated, Thanks.

Just change it. Its cheap and easy to do.
It will keep your trans very happy.
Do you want to keep the car for a long time.......change it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts