Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my story....I bought my 2004 5 door in November 2 years ago...I traded in My 2001 Grand Prix Auto shift because I truly wanted a "stick" ... When I got the car home and even prior - I think - I did a bunch of research...picked out the mods that I wanted...etc...It did not take long before my wife started to show some anger/animosity toward that fact that she can not and does not EVER wish to drive a "stick" ... At the time she had a Pontiac Montanna Van...but since (last year) traded the van in on a Pontiac G6 to save on "gas"...the G6 is restricted to 12,000 miles per year as per the GM Smart-buy agreement...so...you can see where I am going...two trips down South for family vacation and all of a sudden we are OVER on milage...anger built upon anger and it became clear that buying the Mazda in STICK form was a major mistake for me and my marriage!!! I am the only one who can drive the 6. My wife went to visit the local Pontaic dealer this weekend and because she is severly upsidedown in payments on the 2006 G6 they wanted her to pay $488 for 84 months for a 2006 Pontiac Torrent!!! ie... they want $40,000 for a $29,000 car... My wife was ready to sign the papers!!! I realized that I had to step in today...I offered up my car in order to save her from "herself"!!! This is the truth - I brought in my car today and about 5 guys circled it on the Pontiac lot...one test drove it and my wife actually heard one of the guys going in the back room "Zoom-Zoom" ... I felt truly sick to my stomach ... at the end of the day....I got the payments down for her and cut the term by one year as well by "sacrificing" my car!!! I only have 17,800 miles on my 2004...I took a beating on this trade but saved at least $7,000 for my wife...it hurt...it hurt so bad I could not fight back the tears...I actually cried over the loss of my 2004 Mazda at the Pontiac floor and from all the Pontiac goons 'ooogling over it...I know I made a MAJOR mistake doing this...but...I want to look forward to the N E X T car I will get into...I have my eyes on the New Mazda 3 -Speed or perhaps the Civic Si - but- both are stick - I may be leaning toward the Dodge Challenger as it is an Auto Shift...it will be ready in a year and a half...For now I have to drive the Pontiac G6 for at least 6 months to a year in order to be "less upsidedown" in payments ... sacrificing my car to the gods today gets my wife out of milage restriction so she will "ease up" on my buying a stick again in the future...but...I don't know...it seems that all the cars that I truly want are stick: Sti, Mazda 3-speed and Civic Si 4 door...but if the wife can not drive it...I don't know what to do... I want to give you folks a big "Thank You" ... I would have never figured out the Air Box Mod on my own and this forum showed me the direction to go for the cheapest Magnafow Exhaust price...etc...etc...I hate to say goodby to the 6 but in the end I know that this gives me an opportunity to open some new doors down the road...I bet I have to get on a list to even GET a Mazda 3 Speed...so...I think I will get on the list...once again...thank you good folks for being patient with me and giving good direction...it is with some real tears that I do say good buy to the Atenza ... C6 I will keep you updated on what comes next...I hope to hold onto the Mazda family and pick up the Mazda Speed 3!!! Even the RX-8 could be on the horizon...Thank you everyone...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow! Thank god I married a woman who had never owned a car with an automatic transmission. :D

In fact, a few years ago when her 5 speed 626 was in the shop, she had to drive a loaner that was an automatic. She (aka "grandma") came home from work, threw the keys on the kitchen table and exclaimed: "What a piece of crap!"

Yep, she's a keeper (the grandkids like her too...). :love:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Thank god I married a woman who had never owned a car with an automatic transmission. :D

In fact, a few years ago when her 5 speed 626 was in the shop, she had to drive a loaner that was an automatic. She (aka "grandma") came home from work, threw the keys on the kitchen table and exclaimed: "What a piece of crap!"

Yep, she's a keeper (the grandkids like her too...). :love:
[/b]
If my wife drove my stick - I would love her all night long!!! But at age 40 none of that shit is gonna go down...pardon the punn...Ha

·
Registered
94 Posts
If my wife drove my stick - I would love her all night long!!! But at age 40 none of that shit is gonna go down...pardon the punn...Ha
[/b]
Hey, she's just a kid! (I've got a son that's almost 40.)

Slighly off topic: I've tried to get "grandma" to drive the Miata in an autocross but she contends that she dosen't like to drive fast. Then on a morning where she drives it to work I can hear her winding it through the gears all the way up the block (the Miata has a rather load exhaust system).:) Oh well.

Some times in a marriage you just have to compromise.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
[/b]

My wife is 40+ and drives nothing but a MTX! Love her to death, as my life is easier since she is into the mods and her 6 as I am into mine. Sorry about your loss!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
No offense but it sounds like you have other issues at hand here. Why did she try and trade in the G6 barely a year old. 12,000miles/year for a lease isin't alot and why didn't you drive your mazda6 down "south" Did she absolutly need to get a new car.

My dad had a Rav4 on lease about 30,000miles over the limit with 1year to go. He ended up just buying it since it was the best and by far cheapest option.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree ... why not drive the 6 down south? Or ... trade the 6 in for a new 6 with an ATX? then you can still have a 6, and she can drive it too.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I agree ... why not drive the 6 down south? Or ... trade the 6 in for a new 6 with an ATX? then you can still have a 6, and she can drive it too.
[/b]
True that, Or I would have said You either 1.) Learn to drive stick, or B.) Get a cheaper used car....

here it is you sacrificed something..what the hell are you gonna get in return? you were reduced to tears man.....If she cares at all about how you feel..you need to definately make sure she makes it up to you. You are a good man...better than I. I Hope you stick around, and good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep, you're definitely a better man than me as well. I understand not wanting her to get raped at the dealership, but I think she should have at least put in the effort to drive a manual. And seriously, what do you get in return for your monumental sacrifice? Seriously, you cared very much about your car, and to keep your wife from getting raped, you let the Mazda take it instead. I would have cried too, then seriously reconsidered my relationship.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
That's the thing man...Then isn't a Relationship, it's a marriage. Marriage is sacrifice, but I believe that should go both ways. He had to give up his car....yet she didn't have the patience to learn how to drive a Stick shift...

·
Registered
50 Posts
^^^preciesly^^^

It's all about give and take, you give and you take, not one person gives and the other person takes, that's not a relationship or a marrige, that's servitude.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Wow COOL 6, I'm so sorry this had to happen :( If that were me, the wife would have had her automatic in the form of a 1990 Protege or something.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Seems like the really stupid move here was trading in the Montana to LEASE a G6, fully well knowing that the G6 wasn't big enough for the needs of the family, and that you needed more miles per year. All under the presumiton of "saving gas"..... not too bright. Hell, if that was the case, why didn't you just keep the G6, the 6 & just rent a van for your two annual trips down south?

Buying a new car to "save gas" is a horrible excuse to get a new car. Especially going from a Montana to a restricted lease on a G6.... can't be that much of a MPG increase there.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Sorry bro, but it sounds like you got pussy-whipped by the wifey on this one.

Eventhough I disagree with you on most --- okay everything, I still hope you stick around so I can debate you to death :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sorry, normally I'm not this picky, but what's with all the elipses?
You need to switch your period key mode from burst-fire to single-shot. Paragraphs would make it a whole lot easier as well.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I am the elipses' king you know...A couple of points...I actually went ahead and bought the 5 speed (trading the auto Grand Prix) with total disregard for the wife...it was a selfish act on my part two years ago...I had thought that over time either the wife would learn to drive it or at best not drive it all...'very selfish motives...so I don't think the wife is the bad guy here...I truly do not...When I went ahead and bought the car I did not know that we would end up with her buying into a milage restriction and less to almost no touring space...this is when my selfishness came into play I guess...So I just wanted to share that real emotion can sometimes take you away to new places...I honestly was just so taken in by the Mazda Mistique that today I am in forward looking mode...I just got my copy of automotive magazine and the MazdaSpeed 3 is on the cover...the article is very good and in favor...the car ONLY costs at about 25Kish for the Grand Touring...truth is I already called Mazda to put down a pre-order deposit...so with some luck I am perhaps looking to obtain a Mazda Speed 3 True Red Grand Touring!!! In the end I do support my wife in NOT wanting to drive the stick...she felt that she could not do it and was REALLY afraid of hills...ok...fair enough...The only question I have for myself is should I do this or beg off the deal and find an auto shift I can be happy with or at least moderately happy with ??? I will have to see how it shakes out...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Sounds weird, how can she make a big decision like that withou you? She was ready to sign the papers? What about you, does she even ask? Is it HER money and she can do what she wants or is it both of yours money? If my wife (when i have one) tries to pull a decision like that on her own, it will be bye bye. What happened to WE CAN'T AFFORD THAT RIGHT NOW, PICK A KIA. Or even if you could afford it it would be stupid. Anyway... sounds like she needs a lesson in economics.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sounds weird, how can she make a big decision like that withou you? She was ready to sign the papers? What about you, does she even ask? Is it HER money and she can do what she wants or is it both of yours money? If my wife (when i have one) tries to pull a decision like that on her own, it will be bye bye. What happened to WE CAN'T AFFORD THAT RIGHT NOW, PICK A KIA. Or even if you could afford it it would be stupid. Anyway... sounds like she needs a lesson in economics.
[/b]
COOL 6 - Sounds like you both made a few mistakes and are trying to work it all out. Good for you!

I have several married friends that keep their money separate. They have the bills divided roughly equal to their relative salaries and they each buy and pay for their own cars. They rarely consult each other when making purchases, although, at least one wife defers to her husband when it actually comes to making a car deal. But she still picks the model, options, etc. This same women will not drive a stick under any circumstances.

I don't think it's the best way, but it seems to work for them, so who am I to tell them they're wrong? In my experience the situation COOL 6 is in is not all that unusual and has nothing to do with being whipped.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
My View is simple, I get mines and you get yours.....

I'm not changing my lifestyle over a marriage....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts