Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few months ago, I picked up a damaged Mazda 6 for AU$325 from a salvage auction. Sight unseen. Front was fairly cactus, but nothing the photos scared me off with. Wasn’t till it arrived on the truck, that I noticed radiator, fans & ac were all munted. The tow truck driver told me it’s a shame I didn’t get the other one that was there with a good front end. I looked on the auction site and found a stat write-off 6 (can’t be put back on the road). So, the next day, when the auction came up, I won that one for $300. It was pretty bad (rear corner and chassis bent under drivers seat). I got the parts I needed and organised a scrap metal company to come pick it up and they gave me $200 for it. I could have dismantled it as had low km engine, manual trans with receipts for very recent clutch replacement and not too bad interior. But I didn’t have room as my garage is full of crap, and I had 5 cars on my front yard! It’s been slow going, as I do rotational shift work, and weather here has just got too hot to do much. Thought I’d put up a few pics of red one (the fixer-upper), and the black parts car. It’s mostly together. Just have to line the bonnet (hood) up, tighten a few things and get it passed over the pits (roadworthiness inspection to register it). Not in any rush to paint. Just want to get it back on the road first!
E9C561E1-0DEE-44E9-AB7A-9E10D2E38F41.jpeg 759424C5-9173-46CD-9B33-F94897527399.jpeg F270A038-0432-46AF-B313-1A91E9F395C4.jpeg EC85F3D8-A458-4AD3-86B6-68984195A56D.jpeg E8A8134A-0A77-4A76-943D-14E3A78D8BFF.jpeg FDA1E9DC-2007-46B7-B26C-DF9A68BB9D82.jpeg 54B70DE5-20D2-4B16-823D-2B0BB5593E6C.jpeg AB44E8EB-A491-4704-AB5C-9E89650346A7.jpeg 702C061D-3938-4ADE-90E4-C4EB4C8BD791.jpeg BA66DBA5-1088-4B5A-B764-4B4DE389C812.jpeg

·
Registered
612 Posts
A few months ago, I picked up a damaged Mazda 6 for AU$325 from a salvage auction. Sight unseen. Front was fairly cactus, but nothing the photos scared me off with. Wasn’t till it arrived on the truck, that I noticed radiator, fans & ac were all munted. The tow truck driver told me it’s a shame I didn’t get the other one that was there with a good front end. I looked on the auction site and found a stat write-off 6 (can’t be put back on the road). So, the next day, when the auction came up, I won that one for $300. It was pretty bad (rear corner and chassis bent under drivers seat). I got the parts I needed and organised a scrap metal company to come pick it up and they gave me $200 for it. I could have dismantled it as had low km engine, manual trans with receipts for very recent clutch replacement and not too bad interior. But I didn’t have room as my garage is full of crap, and I had 5 cars on my front yard! It’s been slow going, as I do rotational shift work, and weather here has just got too hot to do much. Thought I’d put up a few pics of red one (the fixer-upper), and the black parts car. It’s mostly together. Just have to line the bonnet (hood) up, tighten a few things and get it passed over the pits (roadworthiness inspection to register it). Not in any rush to paint. Just want to get it back on the road first!
Nice save!! I love hearing things like this. It looks great for what it is!! Once painted no one will be able to tell.

I'm interested on how you will make the car roadworthy again.
My brother and I went through this the past year and 1/2 on my nephew's 96 Ranger . I'm not sure what laws are in place from state to state but here in FL, we had to have before and after pics, we had to have documents showing the prices of the parts and if they were used parts we had to have the vin numbers from the donor vehicles so they could check to see if they were stolen or not. Once we had all of this, it could finally be taken in for an inspection at the DMV with a road test. As long as all of the lights, brakes, wipers, doors, hood, and tires were working and it didn't have a shake to it, it can pass inspection.

I for one love watching salvage auctions. I keep seeing cars that I want for my donor vehicle going for $100- $1500. And these are running, lot drivable vehicles!! It's kick ass to know that when I'm ready to do my engine swap, I can get the engine, trans, ecu, harness, brake and gas petals, shifter, etc for $1500 or less!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Nice save!! I love hearing things like this. It looks great for what it is!! Once painted no one will be able to tell.

My brother and I went through this the past year and 1/2 on my nephew's 96 Ranger . I'm not sure what laws are in place from state to state but here in FL, we had to have before and after pics, we had to have documents showing the prices of the parts and if they were used parts we had to have the vin numbers from the donor vehicles so they could check to see if they were stolen or not. Once we had all of this, it could finally be taken in for an inspection at the DMV with a road test. As long as all of the lights, brakes, wipers, doors, hood, and tires were working and it didn't have a shake to it, it can pass inspection.

I for one love watching salvage auctions. I keep seeing cars that I want for my donor vehicle going for $100- $1500. And these are running, lot drivable vehicles!! It's kick ass to know that when I'm ready to do my engine swap, I can get the engine, trans, ecu, harness, brake and gas petals, shifter, etc for $1500 or less!
I had no idea it was like this! I mean, I thought you simply buy and put the parts. Requiring the VIN code makes sense and this is a good deterrent for selling anything from a stolen car.

I hope this car will be documented by the letter and to the last dot. Surely I will be able to replicate it but seeing it like a part by part assembly makes it "alive" for me.

How I like watching a restoration!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had no idea it was like this! I mean, I thought you simply buy and put the parts. Requiring the VIN code makes sense and this is a good deterrent for selling anything from a stolen car.

I hope this car will be documented by the letter and to the last dot. Surely I will be able to replicate it but seeing it like a part by part assembly makes it "alive" for me.

How I like watching a restoration!
That's what we thought as well. We put the parts on and went to get it inspected and they asked for the receipts for all of the parts. Well we had them all and when they saw the "pull a part" receipts, they asked for the vin numbers for the vehicles that we got the parts off of. We had to go back and take pics of trucks and their vins. We just found trucks the same colors of the parts that we had gotten and took pics of those vins 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In Australia, if the car is a repairable write-off (not structural damage, just uneconomical to repair), I believe you need photos of work done, receipts for parts, and, if 2nd hand parts, a VIN from those parts. I was lucky. If a vehicle is over 15 years old, they are WOVR Exempt (not required to be on the Written Off Vehicle Register). My Mazda was built in 2004 (April, from memory). It just scraped in at just over 15years. My parts car was late 2004, which was a write-off, as it was just under 15. Not sure on the system in other countries.

basically, because it’s not on the register, here, I only need a licensing inspection (where they check everything works) for just under au$100. If it was a repairable write-off, I’d have to take it for another inspection, costing heaps more (au$200, I think)

·
Registered
576 Posts
That's what we thought as well. We put the parts on and went to get it inspected and they asked for the receipts for all of the parts. Well we had them all and when they saw the "pull a part" receipts, they asked for the vin numbers for the vehicles that we got the parts off of. We had to go back and take pics of trucks and their vins. We just found trucks the same colors of the parts that we had gotten and took pics of those vins 🤣 🤣 🤣
Ugh, what communist police state do you live in? That's utterly ridiculous to require the VIN # for each replaced part. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. But that really is ridiculous.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ugh, what communist police state do you live in? That's utterly ridiculous to require the VIN # for each replaced part. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. But that really is ridiculous.
Right here in FL lol. I think it's a 2 fold thing. They needed the vins to make sure that 1) we didn't run a chop shop for the parts (known to happen here lol) and 2 that the vehicles in the yard are in fact processed through the state as not stolen and no longer able to be registered.

If we had known what all was needed to begin with we would have snapped pics and wrote vins down at the time. Luckily for me, when I buy my salvage donor vehicle I don't need to do any of this because I'm just doing a powertrain swap in a car that's already registered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts