Mazda 6 Forums banner

My OV Tune review thread--2018 Mazda 6 GT 2.5 Turbo

65K views 176 replies 26 participants last post by  TalonTsi90 
#1 ·
I thought I would start a separate thread to chronicle the process and review the tune. I have just received my software license key, so I will be getting the needed vehicle information, doing a stock ECU file dump to send to OV, and start datalogging, etc. Once I receive my first tune, I will be back with a review. I hope to have the vehicle information and stock ECU dump to OV by mid-week next week. I will get as much to them as I can on Monday.

#97 ·
Wtf, why did they reverse their reverse to keep doing Mazdas?

#99 ·
I just think the market is too small to justify their efforts in the long-term. They seem to be focused on Toyotas. The appliance of automobiles (Toyota except for the Supra) do need help, so I can see that there would be a market there. Lol.

#98 ·
I know this really sucks for everyone, but I promise to keep everyone in the loop on how things go. At least you can gain an idea as to how well these engines do with tuning.

#100 ·
It wouldnt be small if more people knew about it and they didnt take 4 months tuning one car.

#101 ·
Raphael got back to me, they will do Mazdas on a case by case request basis.

#103 ·
For other car makes, it seems like you can just get the same standard tune that they deliver to all cars. Why does OVT need to customize it to each car for Mazda? Is that a Mazda thing or an OVT thing? If they've developed a tune that was good for one car, couldn't they develop a "safe" standard tune that may not be ultimate performance but deliver better performance than stock?

#109 ·
"OVT doesn't need to customize it for each car of Mazda, but we do so because we want to give the customers a tailor-fit tune, moreso for those with car modifications. It's more of an obsession into making sure we provide each customer of our best service. Specially, taking into consideration that there are different factors regarding: engine/car make (tolerances from the factory), maintainance and use of owners, altitude, season, and fuel quality, to name a few factors that vary per customer.

Alternatively, we do deliver a "safe standard tune that may not be ultimate performance but deliver better performance than stock" which is the basefile (tune # 1)."

That is their reply to your question.

#104 ·
Nothing new to report... Still on tune #2.

#112 · (Edited)
Still nothing...

About a baseline tune... It might be worth it if the price was reasonable, but my baseline did not change much. I really only noticed a significant increase in power with tune #2. Not to say there was not an increase with #1, there was, but it was minimal. I saw just as much improvement in responsiveness, etc. with the Pedal Commander. Now, the Pedal Commander does not give any more power, but it does make the throttle more responsive, no factory "dead pedal" feel, and gets you spooling quicker because you are getting more throttle per user input.

I believe that most of you would be happy with just the Pedal Commander to be honest. Not knocking OVT, even with all of my trials and tribulations, as they do great work, but for a better feel, more fun to drive-ability, etc. the Pedal Commander might be a good fit for a lot of members, plus your tune does not change from the nice safe factory tune. Not to say the OVT tune isn't safe, but for warranty purposes, etc. you can easily remove the Pedal Commander, whereas a good tech might look for key-on/key-off logs kept by the ECU and notice they do not match the amount of miles you have on the car (these are reset each time you upload a new tune, at least this is how it used to be with OBD ECUs) and realize you loaded an aftermarket tune.

#113 ·
Thanks for the info on the pedal commander. I just started researching it and you may be right - that may be all I need.

A question for you about it - does it really improve your acceleration times like they claim? I get that it makes the pedal more responsive, but can't I get the same affect by pushing on the pedal more or is there more to it?

In other words, going full WOT, it doesn't affect that right? The throttle is still going to open the same amount. The main difference is when pushing the pedal lightly, it will open the throttle to the same amount as, say, pushing it half way? That would make it feel more responsive and fun to drive, but won't make it go to 60 any faster.

One concern I have is I find it hard to launch "hard" from a stop as is. I have to feather the throttle so I don't spin the tires and apply more pressure gradually until I'm moving a bit. Does the pedal commander make that harder or easier?

And on your tune - couldn't your tune #2 be the new baseline for all cars or is that too close to the edge? Couldn't they just dial that tune back a bit to make it safe and the default tune?

#116 ·
Oh and still nothing on a tune #3...

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT
#120 ·
I literally just posted that...

#123 ·
Supposed to be something from DR tuned that never materialized, plus it is a relatively unknown commodity. Pretty much we are screwed as our platform is not seen as a performance platform at a high enough volume to deal with. Plus, I think the skill needed to tune Mazda's Skyactiv engines is high, so many are avoiding them. The Miata (MX-5) is good to go because of its legendary status, following, and performance nature. Everything else is low status for most tuning companies.

These are of course my opinions and conjecture, but I believe I speak correctly.

#124 ·
I'm about ready to throw in the towel on any further tuning. I have heard nothing for a month again. I just hope the current tune I am on continues to operate correctly and is safe (I never got feedback from my logs). It runs great though. Great power, and I haven't seen any major drivability issues, but it is becoming colder out, so I wonder if any will crop up. We will see I guess. Fingers crossed. At least I already had the hardware needed for the tune from my old CX-3 so I was only paying for the license and tuning, but I still feel short changed as I am only 2 tune files in.

OVT does good work, and I understand that our market is small, but my patience has worn thin. I will not say anything bad about them, because things happen and I understand this, I just wish that my work had been completed as promised upon purchase. That is all I have asked for. I really don't even care about the throttle tables now. Just want a nice, safe, powerful, finalized tune.

#126 ·
Yes. This was originally supposed to come with the tuning once they had the tables for the 2.5 Turbo figured out. It is already and option with their Skyactiv N/A tunes. I had it on my CX-3. I was going to compare it to the Pedal Commander and if it was similar to the setting I preferred there, then I was going to sell the Pedal Commander or put it on the fiancée's CX-5. Of course the throttle mapping in the tune works completely differently than the P.C., but drivability results would be similar in many ways.

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT
#130 ·
Hes not doing this for anyone but himself?

#134 ·
Not sure what I am, lol. Last "turbo" customer is probably more accurate. I just wish I had something further to report. Last response I got a couple of weeks ago was to hold on, that they were moving and once that was done I would have an update. I am living my life and not waiting too much though. I will reach out again over Thanksgiving to see if anything has happened.

Frustrating to be honest, but not much I can do...

#135 ·
Wish i had the module/program so you could send me your map to look at.

#136 ·
I got a new tune file today. It may be a couple of weeks until I report back, but I will let you know how it goes.

#137 ·
New tune installed and logs sent. Feels really good. Will break traction from a 30+ mph roll with ease.

#139 ·
Stock tires. Shitty stock tires... LMAO!

#140 ·
Ha, I do not miss those tires. They would break loose way too easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.